• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

Nice job chucker, that rush is so much greater than the rush you get from shooting one with a firearm, which is still great I think.

Congrats, the first one is definately one to remember, especially with a bow. Happy hunting and hopefully many more deer to come.

Sunday night, after way more seasons than I would like to admit, I finally got my first deer. It was a little button buck at about 10 yards. To top it off, he really didn't seem to mind that I hit him and walked right to my 14-year old brother who was sitting about 25 yards away, and he was able to put an arrow in him too. So we got to share our first deer. Even got to teach myself how to field dress sunday night grin.gif Now I know we're hooked

Good job Gottago, it's always fun to be close to another hunter & see the deer alive after it was shot. I've had a few deer come by that had been arrowed, but never had time to stick them again myself. They were both mortally wounded so we still got them, it's a pretty cool thing to share with another hunter.

unfortunatly after three days of walking I have given up on finding the buck.

I walked a very thick wet swamp in waders for 7 hour sat looking. I am pretty sure that he is in there somewher.

I hope to at least recover the rack this winter when it freezes.

If i get in and walk it all I will find some hair or sign of the remains.

Still watching for birds.

Now after three days of tromping around and stinking the place up I will let that spot settle down for a week.

That sucks swampbuck----I know the feeling----it sounds like you did more than most would to find him. I lost a buck 2 years ago that had crawled under a fallen tree in some very thick brush and died after a high double lung shot with very little blood. Found him after the season---4 of us searched for 4 hours, walking by him dozens of times and never saw him-----I now use a dog if I have similar situations.

jeff

Went out this morning to the WMA by Swan Lake right off highway 14. Made my way to a chunk of tree's between swamp and grass. Due to the fog i didnt get siting tight until 7:20. No more than 10 minutes after i sit down i have a very nice buck standing 22 yards in front of me upwind of me, very wide, high rack, nice. I draw back take a breath let go. I see the arrow hit in the vitals. I sit back in my chair for 40 minutes and then get up to check where he was standing. I immediately find blood but no arrow. I followed the blood trail for 175 yards and then it just stopped. It came to a three trail crossing. After spotting no more blood i spent the next 5 hours looking everywhere for the downed deer. No luck. Being this is public land if a pheasant/deer hunter happens across this deer could you give me a shout? I have mid terms in class tonight but i'll be out looking again tomorow! This stinks, Thanks guys/gals

Probably should have had a nice 8 pointer last night, I'd say two years old. It got hung up scraping some branches on a nearby tree (15 yds). Finally Came within ten yards, and when I drew back he stopped right in front of a branch that was running parallel right down the length of him. He finally figured out I was bad and bolted. I don't feel too bad, he will make a really nice buck next year if he makes it. It was getting dark and all I could see were high tines, and not quite ouside the ears yet. It was tough call, I think that if I wasn't bordering state land, I probably wouldn't have drawn back though. It still would have been a nice first buck with a bow. Still a fun night though, but not the big buck I have been seeing all summer. I'm hoping that when the rut heats up, I'll start seeing the big boys again. I've been at this a long time and still haven't gotten a deer yet, passed up on numerous does, and gotten everything from squirrels, to coyotes, to grouse, but no deer. This year I do plan on taking a doe. The nice part about bow hunting is that it really makes shotgun hunting for deer a piece of cake. You can really learn to read the warning signs of a deer. When I was younger, I used to make longer shots and wasn't patient enough to let the deer come in, now most of my shotgun shots are within 20 yards. Anyhow, good luck to everyone going out this weekend.

Getting ready to leave work and go sit in the stand that I have been waiting to sit in. I have got that NW wind I have been waiting for. Talk about being pumped up. I will let you know how I do!!!

Got out to the stand a bit later than expected....darn work always gets in the way wink.gif

On my way out to my stand, I bumped 3 nice looking does and they went east of me. I hate that when it happens, I really do! Got up in the stand and as it got a tad darker, I stood just in case something were to appear. Just then I hear some rustling behind me. I couldn't swing back to look so I waited until they moved in front of me. The one deer came out to my left and I was facing to my right. The other deer stayed in the woods.

I never had a shot because I wasn't ready for them to come up unexpectingly like that mad.gif I didn't want to spoke the little fork horn buck, so he left my area after 10 minutes. Gave me a rush that's for sure! Just don't understand why the other deer never came out into my shooting lane....maybe he knew I was there confused.gif

Here she is, Doe #2

http://photobucket.com/albums/b9/mkaleutley/th_deer2photo.jpg

I got to my stand about 4:00, didn't like the wind, so I pulled the stand and moved about 60 yards or sso, south of the main trails. This doe came in about 6:15 or so. I don't think she even rean 50 yards. You should have heard the noise she made.

Now with two doe in the freezer, it's time to start looking for Mr. BIG.

Good luck to all.

Well I told you I'd tell you how I did. Got out to the woods about 5pm. walked thru the cornfield and into my stand area. Tie a string to my bow and proceeded to climb up to the stand. Had my coat unzipped to stay cool. Get in the stand and start pulling my bow up. Get the bow in the stand and realized that I hadn't screwed my bow hanger into the tree yet. Reached down and hung my bow on a screw in step. Start screwing the bow hanger in the tree and see 2 yearlings moving in about 30 yards from me. (coat still unzipped) Then I see big mama. Heart is definetly thumping by now. Luckily it was pretty windy, (in my favor) and noisy. I reach down, grab my bow, nock an arrow and get ready. Keep in mind this is the first set of deer I have had close enough to shoot with my bow. Second year bow hunting. ADRENALIN PUMPING!! Within 30 sec. the big doe walks behind a tree, I pull back, she steps into my shooting lane, I grunted 3 times, got her to stop and let one fly. Arrow goes right thru her and hits a stump, snapped the arrow. By this time I need to sit down. What a rush. I waited maybe 25 min before I get down. Walk up to the arrow and I have got fat and blood all over it. I felt like I had hit her a little bit high. When I released, she probably dropped down and I hit her high. The only blood in the area was on the arrow. I walked maybe 150 yards and found no blood. I went back to my stand and sat for another 20 min. Tracked for a little longer and decided to let her lay overnight. So I rounded up a crew of trackers and we were back out there for three hours the next morning and could not find a drop of blood. Checked the thickets, the swamps, the bedding areas, found nothing. That really sucks!! There were 4 of us out there looking and no one saw anything. I must have hit her just between the vitals and the spine. I will have to let the area settle down for a couple of days. That's Bowhunting

Well I was at it again tonight- same Bat Channel, same Bat Time!

Got up to the stand a little earlier tonight (5:15pm) and boy was it windy. That SE wind made it impossible to hear things at times with all the leaves down. I was on the same stand I had seen a 4pt er a few nights ago. It was around 6:00pm and was thinking around 6:15pm I'd stand up just in case something would come out into my lanes.

Sure enough, as I was sitting and thinking about standing, I hear the walking of deer coming from my left. A nice size doe is standing there, didn't have a clue I was in the stand. Right away I was thinking- if I get a chance to shoot- I'm shooting!

She comes in and walks right underneath me and stops. She faces away from me and starts to dig her head into some deep brush (eating what was left of the green leafs). While she did that, I got situated to shoot, while sitting, and drew back. She jumped just as I was at full draw and jumped to about 10 yrds and stopped. DOINK.....I let her have it! She was quartered away from me and I hit her towards the back of the rib cage. The arrow stuck in her as I saw her jump off and heard one crash and another crash. In the mean time, I looked to my left and there was another deer, a button buck. EASILY taken him too! He didn't know what was going on, didn't know I was there and took the same path the doe took. He walked away unharmed and actually gave the doe (I had shot) away as I glassed him in the bino's walking around in the same area for 5 minutes.

We figured it was probably a 130-140 pound doe....a nice deer.

What a rush and a lot of fun!grin.gif Taking a deer with bow/arrow is so much more rewarding , I think, than taking one with a gun!

Congrats,

I do agree shooting a deer with the bow is a great rush.

Froggy

Nice Work Captain!! Let's see some pics. I will be going back out this week and this coming weekend we will be bow-hunting pretty hard. I would have been going to Camp Ripley but didn't get picked. So we will be up in Leader this weekend looking for Mr. Big!! Good luck to all this coming week.

Congrats Captain. It really is a rush. I got my first deer ever with a bow last week and think I told everyone I know and some I don't about it. Many gun hunters I know who don't bowhunt think it would be pretty tough to do.

Well, finally shot a decent buck with my bow on Saturday morning. At 7:20; a noticed what I thought was a 2 year old 8 pointer came heading my way. Next thing you know, he is at 7 yards. I draw on him and shoot...looked like a good hit. Get to the arrow and there are guts on the arrow. Bad sign...but he was quartering toward me a little. So I waited about an hour and a half and got on the trail. Deer ran about a 100 yards and died; it was a perfect shot that exited on the last rib. The funny thing is that he was bigger than I thought. He sported a 10 point rack and weighed in at 210 lbs dressed. Usually you have a little ground shrinkage, but in this case it was the opposite. Anyway, since it was a bowkill, I will mount the deer. He was only a 13 inch spread, but it is quite tall. Anyway, I was proud. I will put pic in here when I get them. Good luck everyone!!

Great stories to the both of you!!!

I'll post pic's as soon as they get developed.

Went back out again last night and was in stand by 5:15. Lots of squirrels but no deer. Had a great wind but just didn't see a thing. Hitting her hard this weekend and hopefully be able to fill a tag or two. Good luck to all!!

Got my deer on Oct. 8th, Saturday night. I decided to move my stand further west into some different woods where I'd seen the deer going when they oast my previous stand. I picked a spot and cut a few shooting lanes. I also laid a scent trail and made a half-a$$'d mock scrape. Just some scratched up ground with a a little doe urine (not estrous).

The deer came in downwind and I didn't notice till he was 10yds away. He walked through my best shooting lane to my right. In order to take a shot I needed to rotate 180 degrees to make a shot. The deer walked out to 15 yds to my scrape then walked straight back towards my stand folowwing the scent trail. The whole time on my scent trail he was behind a tree. When he finnaly stepped out he was at 5 yds. I shot my arrow right between the shoulder blades. I got 1 lung and the diaphragm and out the stomach. It wasn't a pass-through but it made an exit wound. The arrow hit the spine on the way in and the deer dropped in his tracks. Lasted less than a minute.

This is my first buck, my first deer with a bow and my first deer since 2001.

DSCF1009.jpg

Congratulations Powerstroke. You must feel pretty good about that. Since 2001? I bet it felt great to get that adrenalin pumping again. Good work and best of luck to you the rest of the season!!

Got today and friday off from work and from college for MEA so i figured id head out to some public land near here. climbed up a tree and bout 7:15 comes walking a nice doe. She came about 10 yards with a nice broadside shot. Stumbled 30 yards and crashed. what a mornin. she dressed out at 165 pounds now its time to go after the big boys now that i've got some meat in the freezer for a starving college boy grin.gif

New stand location set up Friday afternoon over a fresh scrape.

date = Saturday October 15,2005,

8 pointer,

time = 7:45 am,

where= Rice county, MN

buck0040yu.jpg

smile.gif