• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

Made it out for the first time on Wednesday morning. Always a blast the first time out. I was hanging in the tree by 6:30 and I swear the acorns were like napalms. Big acorns too, a little smaller than a golf ball. It was noisy. Didn't see any deer yet and look to my left about 7:30 to see a Bobcat perched up on a hump looking right into the sunrise. What a beautiful site. And a pretty rare one at that. I always bring my video camera into the field for these exact reasons. It was hanging on my bow hangar and I slowly reached around to grab it and start filming this Bobcat. I was really cool watching it slowly move around the trees. Got a couple minutes on tape and it slowly walked back into the deep woods. What a site to see. Did not see any deer but I still feel like I was successful to see that. Going out again this weekend and hopefully arrow something. Good luck to all and congratulations to all who have succeeded so far. Talk to you all soon!!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

For those of you getting out this weekend GOOD LUCK!

I am stuck doing fall house chores and going to a wedding. booooo! frown.gif

However, after duck hunting opener I'll be in the woods every weekend. grin.gif

Bummer deal GUS! Did you take a look at the Scent Lok sales that were going on at Gander that day I ran into you in Forest Lake?!?

Good Luck everyone this weekend.

Brandon,

I did end up getting a scentlock suit but not then. I ended up putting down for a scentlock 3d leafy wear set and some other things at cabelas to charge up that card they sent out. Was good talking to you. It had been a while.

Good luck.

Got to spend my first uninterrupted eveing in the stand saturday...well until a nice doe came by. Got her into 25 yards and put a fatal shot on her. Not much of a story, but I got venison in the freezer. Heading out after duck opener for another try. good luck to all

1st year bow hunting, got out Sunday evening 1st time.Have duck hunted this area many time but wasn't sure were I wanted to sit.Learned some valuable lessons, 1st come prepared (forgot flashlight, something to sit on). 2nd was walking around looking for spot to sit ended up kicking a nice buck up and doe (go in sit tight, don't go walking all over).Finnally got set up, at about 6:30 saw a doe about 100yrds away watched her for awhile then turned to my left to see a 4 point buck standing 50 yrds away. He knew somthing wasn't right, he was smelling big time but didn't leave, watched him for 5 min. Turned to my right, there was a yearling 10 yrds away playing and big doe at about 20 yrds. They had no idea I was there, the yearling ended up running right past me within a foot I thought he was going to run into me. The doe ended up walking to within 5 ft of me and then noticed somthing wasn't right and darted back out into the field, stop 15 yrds away, (I still don't think she knew what I was). In the meantime that 4 pt buck is still just watching. I was ready to shoot the big doe but desided not to, thought it was the 1st day, 1st time. Watched the doe and buck for about 5 min. as they slowly went into the corn. As I was walking back to the truck I ended up kicking a 6 pt buck up. What a rush, I am hooked for life. Will try to get back there before duck opener when the area will get trampled pritty good for a few days.Maybe screwed up by not shooting but just watching them was well worth it.

It’s great to be back in the stands again!

I was out four times last week, seen deer on all but one trip.

On Friday I shot a doe from 20-yards at about 6:00pm.

After she went down, I waited about 15-minutes, then as I was climbing down from my stand, a big eight-pointer came walking in. Tall rack, wider than the ears, I’m guessing about a 125”? It was pretty cool, he could not figure out what was going on: there was me, completely frozen halfway between my stand and the ground and lying in the woods 15-yards away from him was one of his companions. For 45-excruciating, minutes I was stuck in that godforsaken position as he stared back and forth between the dead doe and me. He moved a total of about ten-yards that entire time. Finally a single doe distracted him and the two of them eventually walked off. Since I didn't spook either one, I am thinking they will return. I will hopefully find out tonight!

Both of my teenage sons were out this last weekend and the older one shot a nice 8 pointer at 30yds. The arrow went through both lungs, it ran only 30yds. He said he had a 4 and 2 sixes come through before he saw the 8. He also saw a doe and fawn.

The younger one was hunting the other end of our property and he had a nice 6 come in from behind him, but never offered a good shot.

With the weather the way it is this weekend we may have to hold off hunting until it cools down again.

Good luck everyone, and make sure you take the good shots!

Some day I will learn how to post pics on this site

Your stories have definately given me "the itch" to get myself a deer. These temps. sure put a damper on a hunt; will probably have to pass on hunting 10/2.

Was out last Sunday (9/25) evening, Friday(9/30) evening and Saturday (10/1) morning. Sunday when I got up in the stand, had a nice doe out in the field in front of me until it got dark. Never offered a decent shot as she stood still broadside a tad to far out of my range mad.gif Friday evening got up in the stand after work and saw 2 different bushes swaying back and forth. Pulled up the bino's and 2 smaller bucks (4 and a 6pt.) rubbing their heads (probably polishing up those small racks smile.gif) After awhile, they worked their way right to me, but to my right never offering a shot. Probably wouldn't of shot anyhow, let em' grow to be big boys for next year. Then Saturday morning didn't see a thing.

Now that I've had deer real close to me, sure wish that "shooter" would cooperate and help take care of that "itch" I have. In time I tell myself, in time.

Keep the success stories coming.

Well it has finally happened. After 7 years of bow hunting I have finally downed my first deer with a bow. Now its not like i havn't had the chances but I havn't really wanted to shoot anything but a buck and i love bowhunting for the reason of sitting out there and seeing undisterbed wildlife, but now with the deer numbers i decided this year to do my part. I shot the doe at 18 yards with my Mathews LX. Wow was i excited over shooting a deer with my bow, best feeling i have ever felt out hunting. Good luck with everyones hunting seasons.

Andrew

P.S. I will post the pics of my doe sometime next week.

Saturday evening...5PM...A nice Black bear walks into my bait...gives me a great angle...I draw the firecat, aim and remind myself to follow though...the arrow finds the mark and slices through in an instant...the bear doesn't know what hit him...he stands there for a second...then starts off...stumbles after 10 yards...makes it another 5 yards and piles up!! Time to get started on my 5 deer tags!!

Took my first doe with a bow friday nite! Was a bit smaller than I woulda liked, but in the hunt I am in, its an intensive harvest area with the idea to reduce the size of the herd. At least now I can shoot one of the many bucks I have seen. Six nights of hunting, we have spotted 10 distinct bucks.

My son and I went to North Dakota in search of a couple of pope and young bucks and saw some smaller bucks in range,and saw a couple nicer ones just not close enough.We started hunting on friday night and also hunted saturday and we both shot 2 does each.We had more chances at more does, but with the temps in the high 80-90 ,decided that 4 was enough to deal with.Back next weekend to see if we can harvest a couple of nice bucks,hopefully the temps will finally drop so the hunting will be more enjoyable.

Sound like you and your son had a great hunt Lee Harvey. Hope you get those big bucks next weekend. When we go phesant hunting we kick up a lot of deer and we have seen a few monsters. But my question too you is about the license for ND i know in SD you have to draw a buck tag. Is that the same for ND and how much is a nonresident?

Shot two coons this weekend out of the 9 I saw on stand, missed a few tough shots on some of the other coon. How do I sharpen my broadheads?

Passed on a nice little 7 pointer & a smaller forky Sunday morning, one at 10 yards, the other at about 5.

Passed on a fawn & a smaller doe at 10 yards or less Saturday morning. I was debating on the doe, when she got enough of a whiff to make her nervous & she looked up at me. She still wasn't sure, but eventually moved off without ever offering a shot. I may have had a shot when I first saw her, but couldn't decide if she was big enough or not. (I think she was, nice yearling I finally decided.) My buddy passed on three smaller ones & his son got his first bow deer, which turned out to be a small fawn. It was his third bowhunt ever, all this weekend.

ASMOLEY- the tags for a non-resident are as follows,

1-220 for archery tag-good for buck or doe which you can buy.

2-200-rifle tag-buck-drawing.

3-53-extra doe tags which you can use with bow,rifle or muzzle loader as long as its in season.

4-The extra doe tags are first come first serve after the lotteries and yes most zones do have many tags left.I believe the most you can buy is 25 doe tags.Who would want that many I dont know.Where we hunt on private property there are many, many whitetail in zone 2G1.Hope this answers all your questions and good luck this fall.

bigbucks, sounds like you're seeing lots of deer@! I'm anxious to get back out, hopefully by this afternoon the rain will stop.

I went out from 5-7. The first hour sitting there I did nothing but freeze my butt off. At about 6:15 a stray cat came in and was playing with the string I bring my bow up with about 5 feet under my stand. It had no clue I was there. Pretty cool. Then right before dark 4 coons ran out at about 20 yards but never stopped for me to make the shot. At a little before dark I got out of stand and figured I would go over to where I saw the coons and maybe see one. I stuck my head up to look and there was a 8 point 85-90 class buck 7 yards away. It didnt even see me. I could of shot it but when I bought my license the lady working at the gas station was entering in the wrong code and it said that it was invalid. So she thought that I couldnt get a bonus tag for some reason. So I only had the regular tag on opener and sure enough I got a deer. So now I cant shoot a buck. That really made me mad. I didnt notice that there were 3 does standing about 30 yards away in a waterway. They saw me and snorted and about 10 deer came up to see what was going on but not 1 of the deer offered me a shot. But that was pretty cool to have 10 deer within 30 yards of me. I just wish I could of shot that buck. But altogether I had a blast. grin.gif

Thanks Lee Harvey for all the info i will have to save up some money for next year and make it out there.

Took this doe on Thursday about 6:55 am. 15 yard shot, deer went about 100 yards or so. Not much of a blood trail as exit wound became plugged.

[image]http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=30491CkCE7&i=226342[/image]

Hunted for the first time on Wens night. I jumped a nice 8pt 10 yds from the stand on the way in! got settled in and had two button bucks come in after 5 minutes. They hung around the rest of the night. 5:45 heard a snap and there was the same 8pt I had jumped ten yds upwind. I watched him for 15 minutes. Wanted to pull back on him pretty bad, but did not think he was quite big enough. the wind swirled and answered that question GONE! 6:30 hear another snap coming from the swamp, hear comes a big one! 130-140 inch 10pt! I pulled back as he hit 30 yds, stopped him Broadside/quartering away and hit the release. The arrow hit behind the ribs anglinig forward! I watched him run across a small cut and deer started running everywhere! Lost sight of him. Decided to sneak out and wait till morning. Had to run into work until 12:00 started looking at 1:00pm. Found blood after 40 yds. He ran 70 yds bleeding a little not a lot, stopped within 50 yds of a house. then from the tracks started to really run. We followed blood for about 100 yds and lost it! After another 3 hours of looking noticed dog tracks with his! (the house he went by has 2 german sheppards. Looked until 9:00 pm last night, no luck yet. This morning on the way into work I saw the dogs in the woods about 50 yds from where we stopped. Hoping they were near him. Going to look again tonight for ravens.

I pulled my camera near the stand and have a photo of the buck.

Will post results.

Good luck with all that. I sure hope you find him and that the dogs left some for you. I sucks losing a deer big time but it sounds like you're doing what you can.

I wish you the best of luck. You are putting your effort in to locate this buck and thats all you can do. Hopefully you find him. Great Job

Andrew

Good luck Swampbuck.

Great to hear the effort you are putting into recovering him!

I sure hope you find that one!! That would be a nice one to hang on the wall!! Good luck and like said before, good to see you are putting in the effort!!

shot a doe tonight around 7PM good solid hit either a heart or a lung shot. the arrow was still stuck in the doe as she ran off but left no blood trail from what i could see. Hopefully we can track er down tomorrow morn.

Nailed another doe Saturday night, also just after 7pm, 7 yards is really close. Got both lungs & the heart with a higher exit. She didn't bleed for 40 yards, than only droplets until the floodgates opened 20-30 yards from expiration. I heard her crash in the woods about 3 seconds after the shot & she'd gone about a 100 yards through thick brush. Nice doe, 130 lbs. according to the scale at the registration station.

nope never found her. kinda makes me mad. had 4 guys out there lookin in the woods and in the corn for about 4 hours the next morning never caught sight of her. what a bummer. found the arrow that broke off in the brush blood and hair on it but no blood trail. so i have no clue what went wrong.

Went out tonight for 4:45-dark. Didn't see even a squirrel until about 6:30, then all I could hear was constant rustling. I heard a snap behind me, look back and there is a buck walking right at me 30 yards away. 90-100 class 7 pointer walked right under my stand. Then right at dark I was just about to get out of my stand when I heard some deer coming. I sat there for 30 min waiting for the deer to leave. I thought they left so I climbed down and I heard a branch snap. Shined the flash light over where I heard it and there is a spike and a 5 pointer sitting there watching me. I saw probably 20-30 squirrels, a wood chuck, 1 coon and 2 shooter bucks. Had just as much fun watching the deer as I would of had shooting at them. Good luck everybody!