• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report your Archery kill -2005

Brandon and I did a slight dousing with that scent shield in a bottle.

But I surely didnt douse the whole blind. That would take a gallon alone.... grin.gif

But I might be doing that going forward.

I have the Double Bull BS5. The Matrix is one I would rather have now..... smirk.gif

It sure was cool watching that deer walk right up to me Sunday morning, and being able to draw the bow while being able to see his eyelashes... cool.gif

He never had a clue.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captain B.R.K

• Mark Christianson

• bigbucks

• Studer

BLB- check out the home made scent killer post... you could make a gallon pretty cheep and get that blind smellin a little better.

I was thinking that just this morning on the way to work.

I remember reading the post, but not being too concerned about needing larger quantities...

I am gonna mix up a batch, I am. smile.gif

I am just guessing that the blind could be an issue. But it is something to think about. Thats a lot of fabric to absorb odors. No question.

Out in the stand Saturday morning and Sunday evening.

Saturday morning...all I saw was a couple squirrels that were checking me out a foot away...they knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't figure me out.

Sunday evening...once the farm machinery quieted down the deer started moving. I took an average to small size doe which filled my bonus tag.

Now, I have the pleasure to hold out for a buck.

Good job to everyone who got deer and good luck to everyone the rest of the season!

Passed on a decent 8 pointer Saturday morning, 8-9 yards, probably a 2 1/2 year-old, fairly high rack, width was about halfway out his ears. He had no clue. I also passed on a fawn in the same spot. My cousin shot about 100 pound dry doe the same morning.

Didn't see anything Saturday night, well two raccoons.

Last night shot a small yearling doe at 6:40 at 35 yards. She was quartering away feeding. The arrow went in the rib cage & exited through the off shoulder blade. She went about 100 yards. This is the wierd part, she had two decent sized fawns with her & they were very obviously hers. When we gutted her out you could see every rib on her. I think I did her a favor, they were draining her & were definitely big enough to survive on their own. Dressed out she only weighed 70 pounds.

Double Bull is coming out with a brand new one, hopefully I can have their new one for Hogs though.

One day for deer, a couple for bear and 9 days for turkeys this year, only three shots through the mesh.

We ended up going youth waterfowl hunting in the lightning which had moved south and east of us by shooting time. My twin sons(14 years old) got there 8 ducks down by 9:15am and it was back to camp. Did a few chores and then off to the bow stands. I dropped off one son who had a stand about 200 yards from me and proceeded to my stand. After about 45 minutes having seen 2 does at 50 plus yards I hear my son come running down the trail "Dad, I hit a 6 point" we tracked it about 100 yards across a bean feild and there he was. perfect lung shot. His first deer with a bow. The other son manage to get a shot at a doe and claims she ducked the arrow. Next time I told him.

Nova- Give your son a High 5 for me!!!!..and how about some picts of the first deer harvested with a bow?

Went out saturday morning saw 2 does & 2 bucks, got a shot at a six pointer, but misjudged the distance and blew it. Sunday same stand at about 7:30 am doe comes in from my left at about 25 yards, the shot was a complete pass thru and the doe crumpled up 50 yards later. Doe was about 110 lbs.

Hey Chris

One Double Bull is enough for now. If they have a new one coming out, I would go that route myself, if I need it. grin.gif

I still owe you a call!

Nova

Pass a high 5 to both kids for me. Man, what a day for both of them!

I will try and post the pics tomorrow morning. Thanks and I'll give him the high 5's, his hand is kinda getting sore from all the ones I gave him. I was/am very proud. He spent a lot of time practicing and it paid off.

Last night at 6:00, I was daydreaming in my stand when this fella surprised me about 30 yards from my stand. He continued strolling down the trail headed toward me. I had just sat down a few minutes earlier to rest for a bit, so I had to slowly rise and put my release on the string. He was busy eating leaves from a bush. I drew back and he walked right into my lane. I released the string and immedialtely knew I hit him in a good spot. He ran about 15 yards straight away from me, then stopped. He walked about another 5 and fell over.

I was waiting for a few minutes up in the tree when a doe and two yearlings approached. I called the doe in and drew back on her, but I felt like a pig taking two deer in 10 minutes. My brother-in law was hunting about 100 yards away from me, so I let her keep walking. I was thinking I should let her go so he might get a chance at her. She came to about 10 feet from my tree. Let me tell you, that made it even more tempting. Finally, she looked up at me, paused, and ran off. I was thinking it would be a really neat story to tell if I took her, too. But, it's a long season and I will probably get another shot at her later.

My brother-in law was on the ground and he was slowly sneaking my way to help with the field-dressing. He got within about 40 yards of the yearlings before they split.

My deer (pictured below) was a 5-pointer. I know it's not anything to freak out about, but it's my first buck (third deer overall). Now maybe I can be a little more selective with bucks. Hopefully I'll get to see some more while party-hunting.

Good luck everyone!

http://webpages.charter.net/domwareham/Dom's%20buck%20for%20internet.JPG

Congrats to your son Nova, pat that son of yours on the back for me. What an accomplishment cool.gif A great day with waterfowl and big game hunt!!!

Well guys looks like I will be posting the first miss of the year mad.gif big doe twelve yards and no meat in the freezer. I still dont know how i missed her.

I also get to chalk up a miss. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

8 pointer 21 yards. He busted me on the draw but only jumped back into the next clearing to get a better look at me. Now 24 yards, I put the pin on his vitals and let the arrow fly. Missed over his back by a good 2 feet. In replaying the incident in my head I believe I failed to anchor my string to my cheek or even use the peep sight. Probably held the stirng low which is why it flew high over his back. I do feel somewhat better that I completely missed him and didn't wound him. I'm really bummed. That would have been my first bow kill. I'll be back in the woods in two weeks armed with a little more experience. Hopefully I'll get another shot at a deer. I still can't belive I didn't execute the shot. frown.gif

My congrats to all the young and old hunters who were able to chalk up a nice kill. Keep the stories comiing.

last night I sat out on a nice woodline that runs between a bedding area and a feeding area. About a half hour before dark a doe and two fawns came by about 45yds. and didn't come any closer to offer me a shot. A little later couple of young deer probably 1.5 years came by about the same distance they stayed on the same trail as the others. I am going to move my stand right after work and hopefully get to hunt it this weekend if the weather holds up. It is suppose to cool down pretty nice. Hopefully that will get rid of some of those darn mosquitos because they were killing me last night. That would have been a hell of a drag and butchering job with all those bugs.Well I have to get out and get some more stand time in before next week because I have a conference in Green Bay all of next week. I'll be dreaming of my Hoyt putting an arrow through the boiler room untill I can get out there again. Congrats to all that harvested so far this year, It is a great accomplishment to get one with a bow.

Gus,

Most of us have been there more than once. It stinks when you realize you let one get away, but you're right it's much better to have a clean miss that a really poor hit. I always try to remember everytime I get on stand to pray for a clean kill, or if not then a clean miss. Fortunately so far this year it's one clean kill.

Congrats to all the other successful hunters so far, especially to those who've gotten their first bowkill. Gun kills are great to, but they don't even compare to a bowkill in my opinion. The one I got on Sunday was my 20th with the bow & it's still just a major rush.

Congrat's to all that have scored so far. I havn't even been out yet, weddings and such, now the weather is too warm for my liking but supposed to cool down Friday, looks like that's my opener.

Hey Nova, tell your son great job!! I spend a bit of time in the woods this time of the year and end up taking more pictures than shots. I'll end up posting some soon. Good luck guys!

Well I'm looking over my left shoulder looking for the cause of some low level noise (for about 5 minutes) when I decide it's time to look elsewhere. Over my right shoulder there are two does. The first is looking right at me as I turned and first saw her. I can see she is nervous about the person in a tree looking at her (of course) and is probably going to scoot out of there. So I try to slowly move my body into position to shoot when my rubber boot rubbed on the cable that connects my stand platform to the seat. It squeeked and they ran off. It's not the end of the world but it would have been nice to get one in the freezer. FYI- they made absolutley no noise and were at 12 yards away b4 I spotted them. Always a learning experience.

I was able to sneak out tonight for the first time, hunted a clearing that always has deer in it, saw one doe cross the meadow around 6:00, then nothing until 7:00 when two does and a fawn came out, the fawn and the smaller of the two does started working there way towards me while the other doe went the other direction. After much debate which doe was fawns mother, I decided that the smaller one was probably the dry one, so I waited till a quartering away shot at 20 yards, hit a bit further back than I wanted to, just in front of the back leg, I found very little blood and was kind of worried, but I shined the light ahead and there she lay, arrow exited about 8 inches behind the opposite shoulder, good enough to do the job, she only went about 80 yards. Nice tasty doe in the freezer, and she was dry too.

Strat, nice job. now carve that thing up put it on the grill and get back out there and do it again. 1st time out is always cool to put one down. congrats to ya.

Well i got one of the deeer I seen the other night. It was about the same time this time I set up a little closer to where I seen them the last time I was there. Sure enough like clock work they came out and the fork horn offered me a slighthly quartering away shot and I let the arrow fly. First kill with new new Hoyt Ultramag. The 100 grain Spitfire went through and stopped on the other shoulder and when he took off the arrow must have been slicing up pretty good because his lungs were gone and his heart was full of slices. He went 40-50 yds and bit the dust. What a great sport, no better rush in the world.