• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need someone to take me under there wing

kc0myy

I am just a young pup in hunting. I want to go pheasant hunting. I don't have a dog. I heard to just walk slow in a field and the rooster will fly up then you take them. But what kind of field should i hunt in? Where are the birds? What types of way of hunting for phesants are there? HELP PLEASE thanks

If I get the chance to go out this year, I wouldn't mind the company for the drive out to a few managment areas.

I will let you know later this year if I will get out that way, I some times hunt the Fergus falls area so your on the way there.

As far as just you going out and walking a field with out a dog would be tuff to flush a seasoned rooster.

I have done it but it took many hours of walking known areas to flush the cagey birds.

Try walking fence rows, ditches where legal, small sheltered areas to limit the birds running area.

They love to run away rather than fly.

Benny

I hunted a couple of years before I got my dog and it is harder to get a rooster but it's still a blast. First you may want to bring a buddy with. When walking for pheasants without a dog the more the better. Public land marshes are a good place to hunt as they will almost always hold a bird or two. The marshes hold birds, but it is a tough walk. Private land look for a ditch with lots of grass in it and some comming off of it into the crop field. Also you could look for a fence line with a large amount of grass. Before going out and driving around looking for a spot though I'd look at the Aug. Roadside survey and maybe find a good populated area of pheasant that you wouldn't mind driving to.

Go luck and Happy Hunting

Lets not forget how hard it is to locate the bird once you shoot one. Be shure to mark the area well, looking for a odd shaped tree to line up the path of the fall or a fence post. recovering a rooster with a broken wing and two good legs is some times hard for a well trained dog. and don't forget to keep your eye on the bird long after the last shot os fired, a bird that has taken a BB to the vitles does'nt allways just drop dead. I've seen roosters fly 200 yards with the wind and tree top high, just when you think you've missed, the bird falls stone dead from the sky. if it happens to you be ready for the long retrive (don't forget to mark)

when I was a kid I liked to hunt on an old rail road bed, I killed many suppers when birds were up getting grit.

Good luck and happy hunt'n

i would be glad to take this young lad out come season.

leave me a post on how to get a hold of you and we can hook up some time.

pm.

I'm more than happy to take people out hunting with me. I say drop me a line and the more the merrier. I've been phesant hunting for a while now, without a dog. You don't NEED a dog. This will be my first year hunting over Jeffrey and I honestly don't know what to expect. Sure, the dog will help a lot, but you don't need one to have fun.

Drop me a line come season. If you can get down my way I'll take ya out for a walk in the field. Heck, we may even get some shots at a phesant or 2.

Yeah, unfortunately I work on boilers. Hey, we all gotta make a livin somehow, eh? grin.gif