• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well went up friday an camped temperence river state park

Fished breakwater in two harbors from 2pm-dark on saturday with not so much as a follow.

threw orange-brass cleos along with blue silver,gold an a few others...krocks I tossed gold-orange,glow krock green an silver blue..siver green,white an pink etc..all together sailed every color i had out there.

7 other fisherman joined the quest all to leave empty handed

boats at 2pm were half mile out an by sunset were rather close to the breakwater..how they were doin is unknown

did catch a ore ship come in to dock...parrellel parking that thing was amazing to watch anyhow

sunday night at 9pm till 4am fished the breakwater an threw krocs an cleos an that glowing kroc alot...nothing

we kinda thought just maybe since boats were deep come early afternoon an in close to the breakwater by evening hours that maybe the deeper fish were staging an coming in to the shallows to feed at night...think we guessed wrong

be up in the second week in september to try my luck once more...

brook trout were biting on the temperence....find the holes an can often see them glide across the bottom from shadow to shadow

anyway..back home...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• CrappieJohn

• cloyd

• biff

cloyd:

Sounds like you were just paying some dues to the breakwall gods. I've fished two or three times in a row with no fish there before, while other stretches I might catch mulitple fish three or four trips in a row.

One thing I will add. Getting there before dawn and fishing through about 8 a.m. has been the most consistent best time for me. I think Tom probably will tell you it's been the same for him.

Plus, there's something mighty beautiful about a calm foggy sunrise at the wall. Plus, not as many rifraff out there then.

Good luck. cool.gif

well was nice an regardless had a great time

dont mind payin my dues..a couple old timers who also fish the wall said that this year has been exceptionally poor at the wall

the tourists an the questions were everything an MORE than what ya said it would be...roflmao it was crazy that first day

had a couple rather mature classy gals park next to us while we were fishing which added to the scenery an helped eliminate or take away the irratation the swollen elbows from casting( sure was a pretty sight to behold)..had this arab fellow come talk to me..of course I didnt understand much of what he was sayin

any saddam?...any saddam? he kept looking at me an all i could muster up was the deer caught in the headlights look an shrug my shoulders until one of them fine female specimens looked at me an smiled an said she thinks hes askin about salmon

roflmao

ill be back up there second week in sept or maybe the last weekend...this time prob rent a motel instead of tearing up the old bones camping

im not one to give up...the salmon gods will smile upon thee an the wall will cough up its treasures

I hit the breakwall this morning for about three hours at dawn...nothin doing. Not a hit, not a follow. I did see a school of about 50 loopers swim by...recently stocked in the 9 to 12 inch range and really spooky. 9pm till 4 am...you are determined I'll give you that. Sounds like your due some fish from the wall next trip. I figure I need another skunk or two before I'm ready. I feel it takes a couple trips almost as an act of contrition before the wall will even humor the thought of giving me some fish.

biff:

Oh yeah, dues gotta be paid. I'm afraid even to go back to the wall. It's been so long that I'd probably need to put in five fishless full days before the gods would smile again. That's why I stay near Ely and give advice from afar — I pay my dues up here on a regular basis. tongue.gif

Dues? Nobody has paid them like I have. lol Steve....Sept. 16-25. I'll be out there paying again.

prob see ya up there..made plans to head up that very weekend myself tom...btw id be very intersted in talking to you about a rod....would also appreciate any info concerning how to learn to build myself one or be taught how wink.gif

I am heading up the North Shore this weekend, I would love to try the breakwater in Two Harbors, never fished Superior before. Any advice on gear and techniques would be much appreciated.

Just to be sure, the breakwater is the long cement pier that juts out from a park in Two Harbors, and has big ships sometimes docked to the right as you walk out??

AZ...That's the one. Go to the end and cast a gold/orange stripe little cleo or krocodile lure on 6-8 pound line(clear is best). Any rod combo that will cast a long distance (6'6"-7 foot rods are great). Let the lure drop to the bottom on an OPEN bail ( feed out the line if you have to) and when it hits bottom reel in steadily, but not real fast.

Do a search on the Two Harbors Breakwater or go back a few pages at a time in this forum and you'll find a ton of how-to for that structure.

cloyd, if you are interested in building rods, check rodbuilding.org, lots of info out there and maybe pick a kit and one of the let's get started type of books out there. I build rods myself and I get a lot of info from that site. I would take some time and show at least the basics, but I live quite aways from you.

I have never caught anything on the lake side at the wall, unless you count big rocks at the bottom. Anyone else never catch anything on the lake side?

not a breakwall report, however i did fish stoney point for a hour before work today and caught a laker around 2 pounds and 2 juvenile steelhead while having one other hit. i also stopped by the french river and to my surprise already saw about a half dozen kings chasing each other around the lower pool. with the low water youican really see well in there. might switch it up and hit the breakwall on the way to work tommorrow although it sure is nice being able to fish without being asked "what do you catch out here?" every five minutes.

Well I finally made to "The Wall" last Sat. morning. I managed to catch my first ever laker! (28 incher) I was pretty pumped about the whole deal. I am waiting for thepics of it because the ore boat was heading out and was in the shot with me and the fish. Caught him on a spoon off the bottom. Thanks for the tips guys it was alot of fun. But you were all right....the questions! My goodness, everyone had one. So when I had enough it was time to go.

I looked for ya Tom! Maybe next time!

I'll be doing an 11 dayer beginning the 16th. The first few days I will have access to a boat and won't do the wall unless the waves keep us off the water. Beginning Weds the 21st I'll be on the wall every morning and every afternoon.

Well Tom if we get some rain look for a guy in a red Nebraska hat! Good Luck when your there!

Hit the wall this weekend with very little luck. I fished sat.& sun. Morning with only one 18" Coho. I threw both Kroc's and Cleo's all with some amount of orange on them. Sat. was perfect no wind and very calm. Sun. was quite breezy a few waves were making it over the break wall. Will be planning a trip again either the weekend of the 17th orthe 24th of sept. Maybe I will See some of you up there. Would be fun to exchange some stories.

Good Luck,

Kurt Joly

I'll definitely be there on the weekend of the 24th....both days. Morning and afternoon.

Tom,

When do you usually fish the wall? I am asuming low light conditions. But I heard that the fishing is usually good from 4-8 am and then from dusk till dark. I was wondering if this is correct? If not I would hate to be getting up at 3:30 when it was not needed (not a morning person!!).

I'm old, so getting the lard out of bed is not as easy as it was forty years ago. I always try to get out of the cabin door by 6am, maybe 5:30. And I'll stay as late as 11. Then I come back to the wall in the afternoon between 1 and 2 until about 5 or 6. I have had some outstanding afternoons there, one of which was just in July. I hooked up with six lakers, three that made the net and lost two others...all in about two hours!

I'll most likely will be out on the wall from Sunday morning the 11th untill my arms get to tired from casting or I get to tired of not catching anything, that is unless I have paid enough dues and hook into a monster.

Skunked....Be sure to put on new line, 6pd is good. Clear is best. Pick up a couple gold/orange stripe cleos (2/5 oz.) or gold/orange stripe krokodile lures (1/2). Cast, let sink to the bottom on an open bail, retrieve slowly and steadily. Be sure as well to take two rods so you can fish waxies or crawlers under a slip float at about 8-10 feet. This is beginning to come up on prime time as far as I am concerned and just get better and better.

Paid some more dues thursday morning. Put in about 2 and a half hours and brought home a nice fat skunk. They are not too bad smoked but a laker or salmon would be a nice change of pace. I would say I am nearing pay off. Come on wall, daddy needs a new pair of lakers...

Lots of Skunk on that wall. Lord knows I have paid my dues over the years. I finally gave up on the wall for more productive spots.

Hang in there sooner or later you will get something over there.

roflmao...ive eaten that skunk from the wall...kinda bland an hard to swallow

debating but seriously thinkin drivin up for a day to give a try tomorrow morning...ill be the guy with a green hat an a funky eye or real dark shades..gotta take advantage of doctors excuse

ill try a day this weekend an prob the weekend after as well....time for the great trout god dance in the parkinglot i guess....i hear ya gotta do it drunk an nude ill think ill save the 250,000 dollars it takes to feul up my suv an drive up there grin.gif

Both work on the wall. Crappie Tom, in particular, has had good luck on spinners he's tied himself. I've also used countdown raps and caught lakers on them. Only thing is, neither of these lures will cast anywhere near as far as a Kroc spoon, and to cover as much water as possible from the wall increases your odds of putting your lure in front of fish.

i surely appreciate the information... (without sounding like a complete moron) what types of fish are at the breakwall?

just trout and salmon?

any pike or smallies at all?

(sorry, i have never fished two harbors before.)