• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Riverpro boat comparison

Trouthunter

I think I'm sold on getting a Riverpro. Can I hear some pros and cons of the hipro vs the lopro? Can you use these boats in lakes? I would mainly use the boat on the major rivers here and in MT, but I'm curious where else it can be used "safely"

Advice? Options? I'm sure that KT has some input

Dude, Actually KT is in town still, so you can get a first hand experience if you want. Let me know if you need contact info.

LoPro is the way to go in my opinion.

I was just heard the Bare Naked Ladies sing "If I Had a Million Dollars", then I read this. Well, I decided that when I win the lottery I'm gonna get me a lopro. Why? Well, I would love to have a river boat and the only way the warden will sign off on our owning two boats is if we had an extra $15,000 that we simply couldn't think of anything else to do with. smile.gif

I visited with a guy the other day who was pulling his hipro out of the water. I had never seen one before this and, for fishing the river, it didn't look like what I would want in a boat. The lopro sits low and provides a nice casting platform. It should also be a lot easier to reach down to lip a fish and promptly release it with minimal time out of the water. The hipro is very deep, it reminded me of a Lund Tyee, but the one I saw had no pedestal mounts for seating. It just looked like it is designed for a different type of fishing than what I would be using it for on the river. Years ago when the Arnesen family was commercial fishing on LOW, they used boats that looked a lot like the hipro. I'm sure the design is for a purpose, but after seeing the hipro I understand why this was the first one that I have seen since all of the others have been the lopro. From the way it looked I asked the owner if he takes it to Mille Lacs and he indicated that although it looks like a deep "V", it is still a river boat with a flat bottom that is designed to go through very skinny water. My hunch is that this boat is designed to be used primarily by guides and outfitters who are moving goods and people around a shallow river system?

Ok, i'll chime in. I own a 2005 LoPro with the 175. I primarily fish the Mississippi River for Smallies, and Musky. If your fishing style includes a lot of casting>look more closely at the LoPro. If you're a live bait guy, or catfish guy Look at the HiPro. The bottoms are virtually the same....so shallow water performance will be equal. Look for the boat layout that will work best for your specific use. Neither hull is designed for the waves you get on a lake. They are NOT made to cut through waves, they are designed to create their own wave (called a hydropad) that they ride on.....this allows them to go into shallower water than most other jetboats. Will they work in lakes-YES-....here are the downsides: A. Lakes have more weeds to get stuck in your intake B. You will have bigger waves to deal with both caused by nature, and those caused by the deep V boats that run those lakes. I've run mine on lakes with no problems.....I just avoid the windy days that puts ye old walleye chop on the lakes. The bottoms are relatively flat and ride through waves like a hay wagon. Having said that, I have been pleasantly suprised how well they have done in the chop, and waves....I've fished in some pretty heavy chop, and when fishing in Bass tourneys with 80+ boats (most with BIG prop driven engines) I've found out that with good driving skills I can pound through their wakes....but my back does take a beating.....Think I need air ride seats next time. smirk.gif

Well, I'm a bit premature in my inquiry, since I have no place to put it. I'm just starting my research, and maybe next spring/summer I'll make a purchase. I currently own a Hyde driftboat, but there's no place to buy a shuttle around here (Is there?). A RP would only enhance the Minnesota experience, and I could fish the Yellowstone and Bighorn rivers in MT. Hawgtide, if you can shoot KT's contact info to me that'd be great. bd (at) trouthunter.net

Still want to get some feedback on the pros/cons of this craft just to hear it from the people who use them. I don't envision using it in lakes hardly at all, but it beats rowing the drifter. (which is horrible in lakes)

Great feedback guys.

For me, it would be a HiPro without hesitation.

I've fished out of Dennis Steele's HiPro & Rusty Miller's HiPro. I will be in Hoop's HiPro this Friday.

One common theme with the previously mentioned fisherman- they are Catfisherman. The HiPro is an awesome boat for serious catfishing.

I guide for cats and a little for walleye.

I like the Hi Pro's high sides for safety for my clients or my tipsy buddies. grin.gif They help keep the people inside the boat.

The high sides are and advantage when fishing rough water below larger dams or in very fast rocky water or where barge or large pleasure boat traffic is a concern, like the St. Croix or lower Missy. It keeps the water out and you can still travel the shallow backwaters.

I also like the high sides for the additional storage space along the shelves on the inside.

Basically in my opinion the Hi Pro is a better multi species boat. Where the Low Pro is great bass boat suited for slip drifting the river. The Low Pro will catch less wind and make it easier to control the boat when the wind picks up a bit.

TRouthunter, I'd be happy to be of service. cell 314 378 2685

Schumans Outdoor Sports in Monti offers a shuttle service. Give Greg a call.

Thanks for the kind words about RiverPro guys.