• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

info appreciated..shore fishing

greetings folks....been reading some posts here an very impressed by the responses an kindness shown by most folks helpin out around here

I am planning a trip to the north shore next weekend..looking mostly for trout of the big lake but dont have a boat so stuck increasing the tendeonitis in my elbow by throwing that Kroc lure

I was fishing the lil brule a couple months ago an caught a 14 an 8 lakers off the shoreline an been eager to attempt my luck again

was thinkin of trying 2 harbors off the break wall

what I would like to know is some general information as to what times of the year does the fishing become exceptional or prime from the shoreline

wondering what to expect next weekend from the breakwater in two harbor....not lookin to catch the hog of a lifetime but anything to have for dinner

any place else worth tryin...

ima fisherman true at heart..not the size of the fish...its the whole experience an the meal at the end

thanks for any suggestions or general info at all

cloyd,

Welcome to FM! There's alot of guys here that can help you out. The problem with posting questions on weekends is that most of the guys are fishing. I'm sure you'll get some good advice but it might be a day or two.

thanks for the welcome an I sure I will as reading some of the other posts

any books or magazines worth reading or subscribing to that is lake superior trout orientated if anybody knows would be greatly appreciated as well

i find myself spending more an more time up on the north shore an am captivated by the surroundings...obviously fishing an the natives

simply fantastic

cloyd, welcome to the site. Try doing a search for the north shore and 2 harbours break wall and you'll find some good stuff. Give her a couple of days and you'll get some good reply's. I do most of my fishing from a boat so I don't know a whole lot over there from shore. Good Luck.

Cloyd....Indeed, Welcome to fishing Minnesota.com!

The breakwater....my pet.

Here's the scoop on that structure: Take two poles, one rigged with a slip float set at 8-10 feet and bait it with a crawler. One the other rod, the Krocs will be a good tool as is a cleo in the 2/5 ounce and 1/2 ounce models. Colors are a real challenge, but the gold or copper with an orange stripe are good on bright days as is the silver/blue. On darker days I have been finding favor with purple and dark blue or black on one side and silver on the other in a cleo. Mepps makes a heavy spinner designed to sink deep quickly. Al's baits in Two Harbors stocks these units. They come in 3/8 and 5/8 ounce. Go with the gold/orange in the 3/8.

Fishing starts at the bend of the wall. You can start on the outside or the inside and work your way to the end and around and back to the bend on the opposite side. If you are soaking a crawler, take your time. Cast as far as you can, leave the bail open and let the lure fall to the bottom on a free line. When the line goes slack, you've made contact. Give the lure a short, sharp jerk to jump it off the bottom and reel in steady, but not real fast. Done as such you will cover the entire water column.

Depths are about 75 feet straight out from the lake side of the elbow and gradually deepen to about 90-95 feet on that side at the end. On the inside at the end you'll be in about 65 feet and that depth will shallow up to about 35-40 at the bend on the inside.

Early morning on clear days is usually the best fishing on those days, but they will hit all day at times too. The fishing on the inside from the bend will wane as the dsun gets higher and hotter so moving out towards the end will be of benefit and when the wind allows your best fishing will generally on the lake side at mid day.

Any good rod of 6'6" or more that will handle up to 1/2 ounce will do. More important is the reel....go with a 4000 series for line capacity and ease in retrieval. The drag will function better too if you get into serious meat. ^ pound is sufficient, but don't scrimp on quality there. And don't use braid. Even with a leader of fluorocarbon the fish seem to see it and I don't care who says what....it matters when you are casting in this clear water. I like Vanish, others will suggest p-line or Berkley Trilene xl, both in the clear.

A northeast wind that is light will not hurt the fishing on the wall. A strong wind from that direction creates too much surge in the water and the fish seem to move off to deep water. Fishing the inside on this wind is usually good near the elbow. On a south wind of any kind, you can find salmon near the end and down to the elbow on either the inside or the outside.

thank you....

soaking a crawler I have read in some other posts but im curious

was said before a slip bobber rig with a barrel swivel set for 8 feet minimum is the preferred set-up correct me if im wrong

in some of the trout lakes we have around the brainerd lakes area we used to use lindy rigs...would a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce sinker with a lets say 24" leader work if floating that crawler off the bottom?

or do the trout stack up in a variety of depths so followers often inhale that crawler at 8' as an alternative?

just curious im often for trin new things...wonderin if anyone had any luck floatin one of the bottom out there...also any comments on dead bait rigs?

big browns?...lakers both inhale those from my understanding in reading if im correct

cloyd....

Your rigging queston is right on, but put it in the mix at about four feet.

Fish the crawlers high. This is where the salmon are compared to the trout, which you fish with the hardware. Also, when you have a crawler out, try bringing your hard bait past it when you retreive it. Often times we see the salmon come along with a hard bait only to turn and go hit the crawler. Thae salmon are notorious for hitting a hard bait/spinner but not hooking up. Seems they just like to thump it but not really "hit" it.

cloyd: Check out the two harbors breakwall how-to guide. I just bumped it back to the top to help you out. It's over a year old, but it still holds true. Good luck. cool.gif

Say I have a quick question on the crawler rig....the size of the bobber. I know for looper fishing you use a bigger weighted bobber for distance. Does the same hold true here?

Thanks!

thanks ST appreciate the info as well as Crappietom...im really excited now an so lookin forward to it all..feel like I have a grip on the situation

ill have 3 or 4 days to fish all day..hopefully see ya all there...

Cyber...

The floats can be weighted for casting distance if you need to use them. I fish a rod 10 and a half feet long so casting a lighter float is no problem. I generally prefer the lighter float, but I know STF has used the looper floats with success as well.

I never use looper floats on the wall, just a walleye-style slip bobber. Distance is no factor here. If you get it 30 feet out, that's plenty. The goal of the worm is the give a fish following the Kroc a less aggressive option, and those fish will come right up to the wall with no problem, so close is just fine.

Ok guys thanks for the info. I was just wondering and if I ever get a rain day from work(road construction) maybe I will actually get to go! I have been staying in my camper in Hermantown,and have only see the lake twice! shocked.gif

They are keeping me busy!

Thanks again!

Tom,

That sounds wonderful, but I need a down pour before we get sent home! grin.gif Hopefully I will get a chance yet to make it up there. All my stuff is packed in the camper...just incase!

Take care!