• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior any recent reports?

Planning on heading out early saturday am. I seen last weekends reports but do we have anything more up to date? Should we stay in MN or head over to the WI side to find the lakers? What water temps should one be looking for? Also hot colors? I heard harley was good last weekend for some. Is meat worth bringing? Thanks for the help.

Bring it all you never know whats going to be hot the day your out there. A lot of the Lake Boys are off in Algoma for a week so you may get few replies. I havent been out in a week cuzz Im packing for Canada. Good luck.

I would start out by the pump station and try spoons and flies,flashers and meat. A lot of what End of The Line said last week will still hold true.

crankin, both sides of the border line have been good any where from 70ft out past a hundred feet. I did alright on 00 dodgers with flys and squid right near the bottom. Try some meat, some days I hear its really working. Plain old big green spoons have also been good for us. My surface baits have fallen quite the last couple times out. I'll be out this afternoon, i'll try to report when I get back.

Fished from 7:30 till 10 this morning with the wife. Caught

2 lake trout one 4 and one 5#. Both caught on watermelon spoon 45 feet down in 70 to 75 feet of water on the Wisconsin side. Lost one fish on flasher, fly, meat 50 feet down. Planning on giving it another shot tomorrow morning. If your out, give me a shout.

Just got off the lake. Managed to go 3 for 4 with 2 lakers and a walleye and one heavy fish lost.All bites around 70 to 90 ft. 40 to 65 feet down on a purple spoon and lost the big fish on a dodger and squid. I won't be out tomorrow but will be back at it on Sunday. Good luck tomorrow.

On a sad note theres a big search going on out on the south shore for a MOB right now. Lots of boats and a chopper searching.

Was out this morning for a few hours and managed 4 trout and 1 salmon. If I had meat I would've run flies and squids but no meat so we spoon fed em again. Wasn't as fast paced as last sunday but we picked up our fish running the same track lines. The bite seemed to be directional as we hit our fish going into deeper water...maybe I should've played more with the speed? Might help too once we get two more riggers installed. 18 fish in three mornings with just two riggers...can't wait to double the rods.

Fishing and the weather haven’t been better all year as you can see by this past weeks pictures. As we move through the first week of August the surface temps near Duluth are approaching the 70 degree mark. This past week the weather has been pretty consistent with the exception of the late afternoon storm on Wednesday that produced a tornado in the area. Air temps have pretty much been in the 80’s and today we touched off at 90 degrees lakeside and the wind came to a complete halt. The winds have been pretty mild all week to allowing us to maximize our presentation on the water.

Fishing continues to be great with plenty of fish for the clients. Lots of nice size Lake trout and we boated a few Chinook salmon as well. Occasionally we are still hitting a few really nice walleyes down deep too. Most fish have been coming on flasher/fly combos tipped with smelt for us in 97-110 feet of water. We have also been catching fish on spoons on sliders too especially in the earlier hours of the day. Popular spoons were yellow w/ red dots and the teddy bear. We have been staying relatively close to the bottom with the lures running at 78’-92’. If your running wire lines or braided with one pound balls, about 200-225 feet out has been where its at. Good luck out there. Its been fun. Check out my website for more details and lots of pictures. The report is on the "FREE T-SHIRT" page.

Thanks all for the reports. We were out on Saturday and managed a few lake trout. Ms. Superior was a bit rough but it always seems to be the few times I get out there. No meat on board so all spoons and our best was yellow/chrome and large harley. However we did have about 4/5 fish spit it after two three cranks? This was on the larger single hook spoons...anyone ever see this with the single hook. the smaller trebles we didn't lose any. We were in 95-110 feet and set down anywhere from 50 to 80 feet with riggers. Nothing on our dipsey's? Thanks again, I wish I still lived up there! Anyone have an opening for a Finance/Accounting guy?

Made it out yesterday for half a day. Went 9 for 12 with 7 lakers and 2 kings. Biggest laker was around 9# and king around 7#. We found 7 of the fish in 70 to 90 ft on top or just below. Then caught 2 larger lakers by the Lester on dodger--fly/squid with meat on the bottom. I'am starting to like the dodgers and smelt, learning someting new every trip out.

Went out at Loons Foot Friday afternoon around 3 and fished until 8 going 6/6 - all trout between 3-7lbs. Passed the CC Cutter on the way out only to have him hailed by the sailboat that had the MOB. Very regettable to be sure and deepest condolences to family and friends at this (apparent) loss of life to the Big Lake. Search for the body ensued through Sunday and I haven't heard as of yet whether they recovered the body or not. With surface temps in low 70's we found low 50's and cooler at 45-50 feet which is where we ran most our rigs taking fish on Opti cracked ice/pearl howie fly on riggers and watermelon spoons off of dipsys out 125-150 fol. Saturday was a 6AM start and fished until the SW winds kicked up good and we were 8 miles out going 4/5 with the biggest a nice fat 12lb laker. Bouncy ride in to say the least. Slept in Sunday and hit the water at 11AM running cranks for some eyes and nailed a couple of chunky 3 pounders to round out the weekend. Both came off a Rainbow Reef Runner the wife picked out at NW Outlet the day before. I busted the lip off hoisting the second eye out of the net ... not a good move. We were running a combo of Bombers, Shad Raps and RR's back 75 off of boards and 100+ off the riggers. The 2 we landed were the only ones that got bit. Marking quite a few fish 25-30 down over 50-60. We quit at about 2 as we were just a roastin' out there with lack of good breeze and bright sunshine. All in all a successful weekend and a vivid reminder to always respect the forces of Mother Nature ...

Question for the eye seekers out there. How's the Walleye fishing in the fall ... say mid-Sept on. Is it a daytime bite or primarily low light (morning/evening&night)? Also, are there time you can't be on the lake fishing? I thought I read somewhere that it's an hour before sunrise and an hour after. Is that true? Thanks.