• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN WILD ( ANOTHER TWINS FRANCHISE?)

mudman

I must say that with all the available talent in the NHL, and the wild definitly needing some help in key areas why not spend the money??

I understand that they are trying to develope talent from with in, but hey, why not?

I just dont' want them ending up like the twins and carl I'm a cheap A$$ polad !!!!!

I saw in the paper last week that they should have enough extra cash lying around this year, and are looking at possibly getting a high calibre player like a "Madano or Amonte". If they want to keep the great fan base, they are going to need someone like that.

Quote:

I just dont' want them ending up like the twins and carl I'm a cheap A$$ polad !!!!!

I don't expect any changes in the business model of either club.

Sorry. frown.gif

It remains to be seen...as Gaborik and Bouchard and a couple of other guys develop, we'll see if they add some veterans to go with them down the road.

What they could really use (in my opinion) is a good defenseman with a hard slap shot (Rob Blake type) to run the power play.

Kuba could fill that spot, he has the shot, just needs to grow some balls

Yeah...and I had hoped that Schultz would grow into that role, too...

looks like pier is right mad.gif

here we are talking like the twins, player x might be, player y has the potential frown.gif

BS!!! now is the only time that a chance like this is going to come along. to be able to pick up a "proven" veteren that we know going in will make an immediate improvement, columbus is starting to scare me for cripes sake! shocked.gif

Even Florida recognizes it needs veterans to show them how to play and win. Keenan sees this because he has a talented group of young players. How would Modano fit in and would he be welcomed back? Didn't he have some bad things to say about MN once North Stars moved? I think Wild need to add some vets to show the Gaboriks and Bouchards of the team how to win and be team leaders. That would take some pressure off of the young players. A good defenseman would help too.

I am so glad somebody made a post about this. My feelings exactly. What a fricken joke. I will never buy a ticket to a twins game or wild game. The Wild brag about sell out after sell out, we are the state of hockey etc etc. Yet all they do is sign journeyman after journeyman. Its always this guy is going to resurrect his career under "our system" What a complete scam. Both the Twins and the Wild are minor league jokes. There is no excuse for not signing a big name free agent. I will not even watch them on tv. More fishing and family time......

I heard on kfan about the identity of this team. There is none. Puffy says that we are drafting many french canadians.

Sure their names sound cool. But were they the best players availble? You think LeMaire is trying to put a mini-Montreal Canadian team together like he played on? We need to be more active on the free agent market. Forsberg to Philly. By signing him it will force Philly to trade/drop players from the squad do to the salary cap. Wild have $$$ to spend and should do so to put a good product on the ice. Team needs a combo of young/veteran players.

Philly turned around and traded Roenick to the Kings...that may not have happened pre-salary cap. They would've had Forsberg and Roenick...

The Wild will never lose their fan base. They could lose 15 games in a row, finish last place every year and they will still sell out every game of the year. You have to remember this is the "State of Hockey", not "state of baseball"

Quote:

The Wild will never lose their fan base. They could lose 15 games in a row, finish last place every year and they will still sell out every game of the year. You have to remember this is the "State of Hockey", not "state of baseball"

I do have season tickets but I would sell them in a second if they ended up like that!

i would much rather watch a college game (no shortage of talent at that level) or a junior hockey game where the players actually want to play hard.

Yep, it would be nice to get a big name player here...forward, or D. Our defense isn't as bad as some here make it seem. Our goals against is decent, but we aren't scoring enough IMO. I seem to recall we had alot of ties in our last season.... It would behoove us to get good at penalty shots too....lol

I'm a fan of the game, and will support this team as I can. I definitely like all the trading going on. This will be an interesting season due to that, and the rule changes.

Quote:

The Wild will never lose their fan base. They could lose 15 games in a row, finish last place every year

Not true, it's already happened, all you have do is look at the Nort Stars abysmal attendance, the hype will wear off and the attendance will drop like Rock if we turn into a bad team.

For now things look good for attendance with the Best arena and the unforseen success of our team.

I second Jarrods take. Mitchell is about the closest thing they have to a QB on the PP. He does ok, but it would be nice to see a few more points from him.

With you getting rid of your tickets just means the next lucky person in line gets them.

PierBridge-

I know the effects that happend with the North Stars, no fans they leave the state. I don't think that will happen again.

being the "state of hockey" which I completely agree with,

the owners should realize that and give the fans a team worthy of being in the "state of hockey"

lots of missed opportunities this last week, by not making a move they will be questioned and critizied all year if they do poorly.

"what did the old man trade for these guys? a used puck bag?"

grin.gif

Yes, I wish the owner's would see that. They did miss out on alot last week with all the signing's that went down, yes I was disappointed they didnt do anything. I am so looking forward to this season's NHL. I love the new rule changes and most of all the cap they put in place, all teams will be on a level playing field.

I agree with all the posts, but what possible reason could they have for not signing any big name players. It sure would have been nice getting, I don't know an actual offensive defenseman (Niedermeyer? Or maybe have another skilled offensive forward besides Bouchard and Gaborik. Those of you that are going to stick with them and continue to shell out your hard earned dollars to watch an organization that refuses to spend money, I admire your loyalty.....

Quote:

PierBridge-

I know the effects that happend with the North Stars, I don't think that will happen again.

I hope your right, it still ticks me off we lost the North Stars. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I can still hear the chants at the old Met Center

"Norm Green Sucks, Norm Green Sucks"

There's a great quote by Scott Burnside, an editor for ESPN, regarding the free-agency. He says "didn't the Wild get the memo that the lockout was over? In the new NHL, those that don't step forward are left behind. See ya." I'm a little apprehensive in agreeing with him only because I hope he is wrong. I've loved hockey since the day I could skate, which came before I learned to walk. The Wild may or may not have the greatest year, but they have great young talent and one of the best coaches in the NHL. I'm just glad hockey is back. The nights got a little lonely out in the ice shack without being able to listen to a hockey game other than the Gophers. I'm excited for the hockey season to begin both professional and college.

Sunday Pioneer Press has a story about the Wild and how they are viewing free agency. Apparently, the average age of the current free agents is 31 years or higher. Not that they are no longer productive the Wild are eyeing on next years crop and the ones after that. Average age will be going down is subsequent years. Sounds like they want to spend their money where it will be worthwhile during the whole contract. Risebrough is sticking to his guns and not listening to media/fans wants for the team. Naegle has not been heard from since the CBA has been approved and what the team is or isn't doing during the free agent period.

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard on the news that this organization will have one of the three lowest payrolls in the NHL and should be in the top five in revenue.

Can we please be told by the owners what the strategy is?? It cost alot of money to see a subpar team and I'd like to know what the deal is.

Let's not forget fellas, this is an expansion franchise that has played four seasons and has already been to the Western Conference Finals once. Not many (if any) teams can say they did that it in their first four years.

And if you can think waaaaaayyyy back to the end of year four, after the squad traded some of its vets to give young guys a chance, that team only lost once in like its last 15 games, or something like that.

Management of this team believes in teamwork and chemistry -things which are tough to accomplish when you're paying two guys a bunch more then everyone else.