• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How often should I shoot my bow???

kc0myy

I started bow hunting last year. Around the end of Novmeber. Never saw any deer. But its been just so darn hot the pass few weeks that I could not shoot my bow. How often should I shoot my bow to get ready for the bow season this year? Right now at 20 yards I am getting patterns inside of a clay target maybe little bigger then a clay bird. but I still have to shoot at 30 yards. Just wanting to know what U guys think because the last thing I want to do during hunting to hit a deer in a bad spot and not finding it. THANKS KC0MYY

I shoot everyday regardless of weather, but my bow sight is busted right now mad.gifu have a good group at 20 and theres no reason to try 30 even all the way up to sixty if ur able. the reason for this is that if u get good at long shots, close shots will then become a piece of cake unless ur the guy whos shivers like a blob at the first sight of tines. to combat buck fever shoot 3-d unmarked ranges and tourneys and ur range estimaiton improves as does ur feel for natural hunting situations. But dont just shoot!!!!!! If its raining put ur raingear on and go shoot so u can see how your performance is affected. also hang a stand somewhere and shoot out of it to get use to odd and downward angles. shoot standing, kneeling ,and behind u. mentaly run over ever shot and make it an effort to visualize and perform the shot. when that moment of truth arrives in real time, ur brain should go on autopilot after u figure out if ur critter is in your effective range and its a safe and leagal shot. If its a plus to those three u should be able to execute a perfect shot and not even remember pulling it off. This is what practice does to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if u havent shot yet or dont, get ur lazy @!# off the couch and get cracking!!!!!!!!

In all reality as often as you can. The importance of practice is to build correct form and to become a better shooter. You want to gain confidence in your shooting ability so you can tell yourself if that deer is within 30 yards you know that he will be yours. If you have any doubt in your mind you need more practice. Also, when shooting for groups always think about the fliers from the group and what caused them... Did you hold your bow differently? Did the shot not feel right?...etc. Eliminating the causes of fliers will build up your confidence levels and increase your success rate for deer hunting. For most people when they see that deer coming they get excited and nervous and their form will change slightly thereby increasing the likelihood of a miss.

In summary practice whenever you have an opportunity.

Last year firearms for deer was the 1st time I had a seen a deer and I could shoot. The wierd thing was I didnt get buck feaver it was weird. I broght up my gun on the deer. not never got buck fever. But I will try to shoot all kinds of ways. Thanks guys keep bring in the info!!! goodluck shootin this year

lot of guys get that, but bowhunting i think is closer and more personal as far as taking a life goes. all three deer i shot with a bow had my legs in knots, but the one i got with a rifle was a piece of cake. also some guys get it worse than others while some only get it on really big deer or after they kil a deer even. i find this kinda interesting.........aim true and shoot great!!!!!!!

As Iceman said whenever you can. I try to shoot year round and I find that when it's crunch time in the tree stand all the practicing I do usually pays off. Even a lot of practice won't guarantee no screw ups but your odds are definatley on the plus side the more practicing you do. It will also build your confidence and help your muscles develope. 4 weeks and 4 days and it's off to ND for me. Yeee Haw!

A guy should shot year round, but everyone is different in their approach to the hunt (involvement with family, vacations, work, etc.). Do I practice year around- no. I have shot a few times over the last couple of weeks and I will make it priority to shoot twice a week now until opener of bowhunting.

For me, I really need to strengthin up my shoulder so I'm not so wobboly. When I'm out shooting and when I find that I'm wobboly, then I put the bow away. Each time I get out I find that I can shoot and hold that draw a little longer.

Shooting in the range is nice, but when you are on the hunt.....it's a whole other story.

I'd say practice as often as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't shoot my bow all year. I usally shoot my bow 2-3 days a week, 2 month before the opener. I never had problems with it. My first year is the hardest because I was still trying to get used to my bow and shooting style. Like Captin b.r.k said shooting at the range is one thing and hunting in the tree stand is another. Just don't let that buck fever take over you. But practice does make perfect.

Maybe Im lucky,but for the past 35 years Ive done the same thing every year.I take my bow out about 1month b-4 the season,take to the bow shop,have every thing check out,take it home and shoot for two-three- weeks and go hunting.When I get to the state im hunting,I take out the bow and shoot to make sure a bump in the road didnt move the sights.I then start hunting and always kill my deer,once in awhile I do have to track a deer for 150-250- yards but always find it.My son shoots every day for 6-8 months and shoots deer also.One should probably pratice as much as possible,but i can practice a little and still kill my deer,its time tested.I would pratice more if need be.Its great to be a good target shooter,but you also have to know when to shoot and know the distance to the deer.My son can out shoot me on the pratice range,but I kill deer just as good or better.I would say you need to shoot enough to have confidence in your shot and learn alot of woods skills.You dont need to put a arrow through the exact center of the heart.If you can adjust for the uphill or downhill shot and know when to shoot,you will do just fine.

IMO- Shoot as often as you WANT to shoot. If you really enjoy shooting you'll shoot more. If you enjoy shooting and are bad at it you will probably shoot more and get better. Kinda like bowling. If you like it you'll do it more. If you don't like it you probably won't do it. The more you do anything the better you will get at it.

Most important thing is to have fun. It's not work so it shouldn't be work.