• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just about home from a long Alaskan fishing trip

Fishing was great weather was poor my wallets empty coolers are full my arms are tired all in all i have a smile from ear to ear.

We landed 2 derby Halibut 1st fish was a monthly contender #205lb got bumped off the board on day 2.Second contender was the yearly leader for 5 days at #310.lbs now sitting in second place.

Have pics just waiting for an ok to post them(Dead hanging fish pics)

Anyone who would like to see them if i'm not able to post e-mail me at tjmalaskan at yahoo i'll return your mail with pics

TJM: Where do you fish out of for the barn doors??? I'm heading up at the end of the month. We stay in Soldotna and fish south of there. Going for the second run of Silvers on the Kasilof.. Always a great time!!! Kaz

We fished homer most of the trip.Had a family boat several days then took out a charter a couple other days bad weather.

If your looking for a fun boat lots of space great deck hand and a captain who knows how to find 75lb plus halibut i would recomend the TackleBuster.The boats slow but they fish about 1 hour longer then any other charter so for the extra 1/2 hour each way to the fishing plus the 1 hour extra fish time it's by far the better of your choices.

We fished silvers a couple days during big tide movements had a good time.Lots of action plus we got a couple 45lb kings.

Silvers are just starting to come in.From fish & game reports and the locals it sounds like this is going to be 1 of the biggest silver runs in over 20 years.

We watched the reds get pounded on the kenai on the way home.Looked like everyone was having a good time.The local radio station has warnings out in several areas for problem bears so make sure and ask when you arrive where these are located.

Are second morning standing inline waiting for a derby ticket a couple from London asking about the derby.The husband says no way am i spending another 10 bucks a peice so i said well you spent how much so far another 20's not going to hurt..He storms outa the office..We arrive back in about 6:15pm to find out his wife is getting her 319lb fish weighed with no derby ticket.To funny

TJM: Sounds like you had as great time. We're gone from MSP for 5 days, two traveling and three fishing. My buddy said this time we are going to stay on the Kasilof at the guides new place, so that will be different. We rent a van in Anchorage, so we're pretty mobile. I have fished Homer before for Halibit, but the last couple of years we have been going out of Ninilchik. We've also gone out of Sweard, another great fishery, for Silvers and Halibit.. Yes, post your pictures when you can, I think everyone would like to see them... Salmon; smoked, grilled, and even pan fried, they're a tasty table fair, and healthy too.... Kax

Oh yah, Still got some reds from last year just waitin fer the grill mmmmmmmmm! Goin back next year for the last two weeks in July for the red run! If you didnt stop to fish the Kenia for the reds then you missed out on some great action. Fish flying everywhere!

To each his own......... Cant wait for next July! Alaska is addictive! Did you see any whales?

Holehopper: I've fished the Kenai before in July for the Reds, but for me that was Combat fishing.. To many people and the Kasilof is much quieter. We fished the upper part of the Kenai near Sterling, at one of the places we've stayed, and that was better. But in the town of Soldotna, it's a zoo at both parks. I also think the Silvers are more aggressive and actually seek out the bait, where the Reds are just coming up stream with their mouths open.. I agree that they are more tasty, but all of them are great eating. I took my wife up a couple of years ago and she landed a 52# King on the Kasilof, man I never heard the end if it!! Now she thinks she should go back, NOT again until I get a larger one...LOL Four weeks until I head up, can't wait!!! grin.gif Kaz

I've got a question for you guys that fished the river for Silvers and reds. The Reds you basically snag in the corner of the mouth is what I gathered and I'm wondering if any of you ever tried Berkley Power Bait Egg Clusters? OR what did you use and what color. We are taking a trip on Aug 6th to Alaska so I'd like some advise for river fishing. What kind of gear line etc. I'm going to bring my Foam Walkers and put a slinky rig onto the bottom and use something! Bruce Mosher - Today's Tackle

Bruce: If you are going to stream fish and mostly casting, I'd wait until you get there. The bait use up there is somewhat different than the stuff they sell here. Reds are caught on a fly that slides through the mouth and snags their corner of the mouth. Silvers will bite on spoons or mepps. The best I've found is to shank tie a hook with a slip lasso through the eye and put a glob of salmon eggs on it with a slip weight and bottom bounce in the fast current. I've never heard of any power bait or other rigs used. Some of the guys use a little whirl spinner in front of the glob. Remember the water is mostly Glacial run off and it's pewter color and almost impossible to see more than a foot or so. You never see what you got until they surface by the shore or boat. There is a spoon that has a salmon or green color center, which works quite well too, can't remember the name, but they'll have them up there... Check out the bait stores up there and they will fill you in on what's hot at the time you go... Enjoy...Kaz

For fishing the Kenia it is a zoo nomatter where you fish for the Reds unless you are fishing private property. It dont matter if you are up by Bings or in one of the five parks around Soldatna. Its all combat fishing! Sure wouldnt mind seeing that 300lb. + Hal.

Kaz, Sounds like you will be gettin into the Silvers. Sounds like fun. I have never cought a silver befor. Just Kings and Reds and a few chicken Hals. But then again I have never fished for Silvers either.

How did you do at the Kasilof for the Reds compared to the Kenia? Do you recomend that place you stayed at on the Kenia?

I would not live to see tomarrow if I tryed to go to AK without the better half! grin.gif Have Fun! Only one year to go for me.

HoleHopper: We were staying at a Guides place in Sterling. He's retired, must be with a bundle, and now doesn't take people out any more. That's why this year we're staying at one of the other Guides places. As for the Red's on the Kasilof, we were on the upper river and it was on private land. No hassels with armpit to armpit along the shore. However, the Kasilof has 1/10 the traffic as the Kenai. No motors, drift fishing only and it's much narrower, faster water, and I think better habitat for fishing. I do know several guides that I can recommend if you like. The ones I've been out with all have cabins to stay in and they are very reasonable. As for taking the Mrs along, I think she did me a favor of going out fishing for a day while we were up there that one time. The rest of that trip was spent touring and shopping. LOL I even have a hard time getting her to go up to LOTW once a year, of course that isn't so bad either.. Anyhow I'm getting pumped for the trip up to AK, so that's my goal for this month.... Keep the bait on the bottom.. Kaz

Bruce: Be sure to post your trip results when you return back from up there.. Have a fun time. Beltrami County?? What town??... Kaz

Yes Kaz i had a great time.My wallet even says so.

Well i had asked if i could post the Halibut pics in the photo forum i see it's no longer there so my guess is if i post a dead fish picture i'll get the boot.

I'll load the pics to photobucket and post the link/password for those who want to view.Try and get them online today

The spoon that was mentioned is a "Pixie". They are made in MN so you can get some before heading up. They work good for fishing the ocean but not the rivers. If you are casting one of those with a crowd of people you will tangle a bunch of lines and have alot of POed people. Also if you fish the Kenai/Russian River area you can only fish with a "Coho Fly". Depending upon where you are fishing it is always good to go with what everyone else is using. It sure is fun up there.

Hey Bruce,

You got any extra room to smuggle me along?

I heard about your mishap, I hope you are doing well. Nothing like some great fishing to make a person feel better.

Todd Tollefson

Kaz, I'm from Beltrami, MN. Huge town of 100 people:) I let you guys know if we catch anything (bears, fish etc.).

Tully, I probably won't be able to hobble around to many rocks with this walking cast on. We'll see what happens. Either way I will be fishing!!! Bruce Mosher

Fivebucks/Burce: Five, Pixie, thats right, you know how is goes, as soon as you mentioned it I remembered too. But I do use them for the Silvers or Humpies. You are right, not for crowds though.. Bruce, I knew there was a County of that name, didn't know there was a town too. You'll have a BLAST up there in AK, it's a different kind of fishing. Bring your warmer clothes too, as it gets chilly in the O'dark early... Post a report when you return....Kaz