• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North metro lake with a doc to work the dog off???

Benny

Any one know of a lake in the North metro area that has a dock I can work the dog from?

I want to get her to jump off a dock,also just need to get her into the water again.

I am going to check out Coon Lake access on Tuesday night, maybe swing over to Round lake on the way back.

Benny

I've used Coon's dock before. Just have to watch out for the people using it for their boats and stay out of their way. I like the sandy shoreline. You can wade between the access and the beach and work your dog in the tall reeds for some realistic "hunt" situations. My dog loves busting throught the 7+ foot tall reeds looking for his dummy. Ham Lake has a dock also but, again, you have to watch for boaters. Just keep your leash handy and 99.9% won't care. I get a lot of people taking a minute or 2 to just watch the dog work. The compliments are always nice too grin.gif

Good luck in the water.

Ed

If this isn't to far for you, Long Lake(Isanti) has a dock at the boat landing and there is usually not a lot of traffic there.

"hooks"

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason you need a dock to work the dog?

Just curious.

Thanks

So the dog can be ready for the Dock jumping competition at Game Fair!! grin.gifgrin.gif Its a hoot to watch the dogs catch "big air".. One year we had our yellow lab enter the competition, never had jumped off a dock before, so she ran down the hill...across the dock..and skidded the last couple feet..and plopped into the water blush.gif..and the crowd roared in laughter grin.gifgrin.gif What a good time!

So how far can some of the dogs jump? My 1 1/2 year old yellow lab just started the dock jumping this summer and I've estimated his jumps to be up to 8-9 feet. I would be curious to know what it takes to get a ribbon.

It is fun to watch! My dog has a great time doing that at the fair. When I have him at a friends dock he will come out of the water and go right back on the dock to do it again...and again....and again ..... Until I get tired. For my dog it's more of a fun thing than a training thing.

"hooks"

I've seen them jump 18-20 feet. The dogs on ESPN are jumping 22-23 feet.

I think your dog needs to get more speed.

I think the record for the game fair last year was something like 26-27 feet. My dog went like 22-23feet last year. 2 years ago was my dogs first time for that and he went like 12 feet then. But keep in mind that no matter how far your dog jumps or even if it doesn't jump, it is still great entertainment! I could sit there and watch those dogs most of the day. The dogs have so many different ways of getting that bird that it is fun watch. I wish you luck and have a good time with it! Maybe bumb into you there. I plan on going the first friday.

"hooks"

The world record for dock jumping is 26'6", set by little Morgan, a Mn dog, at the ESPN Great Outdoor Games a couple years. I would say if your dog jumped that 22 or 23 feet last year, it must have been one of the winners. If you are there on the right day,you might get to see Little Morgan as he and his master usually atend at least one day during the event.

gundoglily,

Nope, actually my dog didn't win. He got into the finals a few times last year though, which was kind-of neat by itself.

"hooks"

The biggest reason for the dock is to teach her to jump in and swim to the retrieve.

We some times hunt a river bank that she will have to jump off to get any downed game, if she won't jump right away we could end up chasing a duck down river in a hurry.

Next reason would be to see if she will jump for me at the game fair smile.gif

Benny