• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Don't Say I told You So........

GullGuide

Concerning JM-

7/21/04....

Quote:

If I had a $ for every player who tore it up and batted over .300 in the minors and then fizzled in the Bigs, I'd be a rich man.

I for one am not about to anoint JM the "next best thing" just yet.

Until he proves himself over the course of an entire season, I'll reserve my judgement.

Right now he's hitting .244....same as Doug. We'll see how things pan out as he gets more at bats and the pitchers figure out his weaknesses.

8/5/04.....

Quote:

We'll see what happens when they figure out how to pitch to him.

I'll never jump on a rookie's bandwagon unless he does it over the course of an entire season. Now if he lights it up against Oakland, NY and Texas in the coming weeks, then maybe.....But there have been way too many players who kill the ball when they first get called up only to sputter when other teams figure they cant hit a high strike or a curveball.

Just way to early yet to anoint him the next Hrbeck.

I also posted a list of stats that showed how much Morneau cooled off after his initial surge that I could not find.

So who's on "Moonshot's" bandwagon now?

Just another hot rookie that cannot make the adjustment after the scouts figure him out......

Quote:

So who's on "Moonshot's" bandwagon now?

Lets see hmmmm I am on the bandwagon and the Twins brass is on the Bandwagon, just because a few frustrated fans are whining it would not sway me or the Twins of course to give up on a 24 old with the talent and potential JM has.

I think it's funny when we hear the Dougy M nonsense like we we want a washed up major league hitter back.

Here are 24 old JM stats for the last 148 games again it's only his second year.

535 AB 141 hits 27 doubles 30 Hr's 103 rbi's 263 avg.

Here is Dougy M stats over the same time frame. Oh and Dougy didn't get hit in the head with a fastball.In 190 games 40 more then JM.

596 AB 139 hits 31 doubles 15 HR's 59 RBI's and a 233 AVG

Bandwagon maybe maybe not common sense most definitely.

I don't think its just Morneau. I think I heard the Twins batted like .169 as a team against the Angels this weekend. Last I checked tonight box and they are 5-23. Not going to win many games that way. Pitching has been decent, but the bats have gone South.

The bats have gone more than south. Hard for pitchers to get pumped up to pitch when they dont get any run support. I would assume it helps Santana or anyone to get ready for a game when you know you have 4-6 runs to back you up. Well right now they are trying to prepare to win with 1-2 runs and that is very tough to do. I have played about every sport, with baseball and softball. And it is very, very tough when your on a team that just doesn't give you a chance to win everynight. But all it takes is one thing to boost everyone. As everyone can see Boone was not that thing, but he "may" help alittle bit in the long run. Stewart had not hit the brick wall when he came to the Twins, Boone did.

Now for Morneau, eh I have said it the last month or 2, he needs to get alot tougher. Maybe it is the coaching? Let me just say one players name to have it make sense.

David Ortiz!

They never let him play any innings and they get rid of him for nothing. Now people are calling him Babe Ruth like, and the "Best Game On The Line Hitter."

Why did it take David getting out of the Twins to start playing? Maybe they need to figure out what can jump start this team into playing ball. They are Minnesota nice right now, and in competitive sports being too nice is a bad thing. It seems like nobody is scared of the Twins. Most of all the top hitters on the team dont scare anyone at all right now.

It is no fun watching a team that doesn't put up any runs at all. Today they scored 2 runs in 11 innings against a really poor Baltimore pitching staff. Once they start hitting I will watch a few games, even if they aren't winning them they are atleast more fun to watch.

Never said bring Doug back. It was in the post and I do not edit quotes.

As far as Ortiz goes, like another writer said- Hindsight is always perfect. He was pretty much out of baseball when the Sox signed him at the last minute after he was released by the Twins. I agree, he was given up on too fast, but he was injury plagued when he was here.

Ok, since you did bring up Doug, let's look at stats...

Quote:

Here are 24 old JM stats for the last 148 games again it's only his second year.

535 AB 141 hits 27 doubles 30 Hr's 103 rbi's 263 avg.

Here is Dougy M stats over the same time frame. Oh and Dougy didn't get hit in the head with a fastball.In 190 games 40 more then JM.

596 AB 139 hits 31 doubles 15 HR's 59 RBI's and a 233 AVG

First of all, almost every game Doug played for Boston last year after the trade was in a late inning defensive role. he did not get many at bats at all last season, as is evident from his AB totals with more games played. He also batted lower in the line up which gives you less chance for runs and RBI's.

Now this season, and remember that Doug has been hurt for a month...

JM- 256 AB, 31 R, 11 HR, 45 RBI, 23 BB, 53 K, .254 AV, .317 OBP

DM- 205 AB, 28 R, 9 HR, 24 RBI, 25 BB, 31 K, .224 Av, .312 OBP

Pretty simalar stats, with Doug having 51 fewer at bats. The glaring difference is Justin's 53 K's. Throw in Doug's significant upgrade in defense and it's a pretty even deal, if not slightly in Doug's favor. But I still do not say bring him back...lol.

Remeber David McCarthy? He was sposed to be the HR god at first, pushing Hrbek out of the game. Where is he now? A journeyman 1st baseman who never really amounted to anything.

As far as your comment about the organization on his bandwagon? Where have you been? Gardy is benching him until he get's his head out of his arse...unless you diddnt notice.

I truly hope that Justin get's it together, but signs are there that he might just be a rookie flash. Common sense tells you that sooner or later you need to make a change instead of praying he will get it together...but then again, this is the organization that stuck with Rivas for 5 years...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Take it easy on Morny. He's young and has a bit to learn. I'm more worried about the Twins hitting coaches than anything. Seems like just about everyone in the lineup has the same problems--no patience, can't move runners along, swinging at bad pitches. This is something the staff needs to pound into the players' heads. Apparently they're not. The "other" JM (Joe Mauer) is the lone bright spot offensively at this point. He's so mature for his age. People tend to overlook his defensive skills, too but he's solid there also. If he stays healthy he's going to be a Hall of Famer, no doubt about it. As far as Ortiz goes, it's almost an apples and oranges thing. In MN he was never really given the chance over an extended period. Correct me if I'm wrong. In Boston they give him a full time job, an awesome hitter's park with ultra short down the line distances, and a dynamite lineup around him. No doubt he would never have put up the numbers he is now if he had stayed a Twin but he sure could have done better. Sometimes guys just make a quantum leap and things come together. Maybe that's what happened with him.