• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

area lakeshore property

Even though I am totally unfamiliar with the lakes, I have been keeping an eye on lake property in the area including Norway, Florida, Diamond etc (Green is too expensive.) I recently moved to Watertown and like the reasonably short drive to this area. My folks have a place on Woman Lake (near Leech Lake) and the 3-3.5 hour hike up there gets to be a little much, especially with a family of 4.75 (wife due in Sept.)

I was hoping to get some input as to what the best area lake is. Which lake has the best all around fishing? Walleye fishing? Do any of them not have big algae blooms? Which lakes are overrun with recreational traffic and/or fishing pressure? If you were going to buy which lake would you choose?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jason Martin

Almost all the lakes you mentioned have good fishing at times, as well as heavy rec, and fishing traffic during the summers. As far as which is the best.....I live on Nest, and that falls in with the rest of em.

I would say, wherever you can find your best deal, if you have your heart set on the area. Nice thing is, you don't have to travel far to go to another lake if you choose.

Chub is right with any of the area lakes have their "great fishing" windows.

As for a lake that I would personally like a cabin/home on would probably be Henderson, Elkhorn, or George. These lake are smaller with less rec boats. I've fished a few days on these lakes where I was the only person out. Ringo is also a good lake for little rec action with good walleye fishing.

Stay away from Big Kandi...it gets really green in the summer. My grandma has a cabin on that lake and I remember a time growing up that I threw a rock in the water and it didn't even sink! It was that thick!

Thanks for the great info guys!

I noticed Big Kandi is about the cheapest lake around and now I know why.

BTW, are Games and Norway connected?

Yup, there's a channel from Norway to Games. Not too big, but enough to get a boat through.

No fish in Big Kandi. Kandi froze out and the lake is so green that all of the fish suffocated...only the carp and bullheads survived. That's why it's so "cheap"...you'll have to spend big bucks on another lake to catch fish.

dr1818...not sure who that is yet...maybe Rock and I will see you out on Kandi this weekend in the SS Butternut.

what are you talking about. There is plenty of fish in big kandi. it may have froze out some what but not all of it. I have caught plenty of 3-5 pound walleyes out there this year as well as some 30+ inch northerns. hundreds of little walleyes, a few smallies and some big bullheads. So don't say there isn't any fish in the lake when there is a lot. But the lake does get green.

lots of larger fish dead on kandi due to freeze out and suffocation from algae, but some (only a few) made it. happens every couple of years. thats why its so cheap.

The real problem with Big Kandi is the severe health threat it poses to Jet Skiers and Tubers. Pass the word!!!!

I'm glad a couple of you could provide sound information to inquiring minds while I've been out of town! blush.gif

Hey Outdoors guy, I know there are big fish in BIG KANDI. I was just trying to keep this a secret by saying they all died...way to blow that one! wink.gif

i know there are fish in kandi as well, i was just trying to help out hawks. trying to keep the traffic down on big kandi since it is the first real lake north of the gulf of mexico; it already gets enough traffic.

by the way hawks, pretty sure i know who you are. hows the musky fishing on tonka been lately? we need to get up to vermillion this fall, ill buy the beer.