• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I plan to be in Ely area the first week in June and was interested in trying Jasper in Lake County. Is there public access for boats? The DNR fish survey, from years ago, shows a high number of walleyes and northerns. Anyone know if this is still the case? Thanks.

Don't think there is any public access, just a couple of private places. Check with Joe at Red Rock Wilderness Store - they are located on Jasper. They have a website for their store, and I'm sure he could answer your questions.

Thanks. We're staying on Bear Island Lake but plan to rent a canoe or two at Red Rock for a day trip around some of the lakes. Mike

MMS3rd..I used to live on Moose lake just to the East and I fished Jasper twice and I did catch small walleyes, but with all the lakes in that area do not worry about fishing that one! If your interested in fishing lakes real close to Jasper you can fish Section 12 or Ojibway across the highway and catch large walleye.

alaskander70...see your posts often and have enjoyed reading them but this post is a little off base. I have a cabin on Ojibway lake and have been fishing Ojibway for over 25 years and know of only ONE walleye ever being caught on this lake. We have some lake trout, pike and smallmouth bass. The DNR has tried to stock Lake trout splake to no avail.
Both Ojibway and Section 12 have very clear water and little vegetation for good fish habitat. Walleyes are not native to Ojibway Lake and have NEVER been stocked in this lake per their stocking reports.

When advising first timers to the area why don't we stick to lakes that are known for having the species they want to fish for.

Thanks
Genio in Duluth.

Genio...I agree with you! When I mentioned Ojibway or Section 12 I was mostly referencing lakes close to Jasper. Why I mentioned Ojibway for large walleyes I don't know. I probably meant to say Triangle, I have caught big walleyes out of there, not many but a few.

While Fishing Flash Lake this past December I ran into a guy that said he had been catching walleyes out of section 12 through the ice and back in 2000 I had sent a group of folks there to catch smallies off shore and they caught some walleyes. I tried it with a buddy and we caught 5 in the evening and one was 2.5 pounds. Back in '96 I caught a Laker out of Section 12 and I asked Mark Luthens with fisheries in Ely about it and he said that they were coming from Ojibway into Section 12...you catch any lakers on Ojibway? I know there in there.

Thanks guys. After reading some other posts at this forum, looks like Wind Bay on Basswood might be a possibility. I look at the DNR surveys quite a bit, but most of them on the lakes in BWCWA are pretty old. Truth is, my son and I will spend most of our hours on Bear Island since that is where we are staying....this will be second time and had modest luck in 2000. I am a Minnesota native but now only get up once or twice a year and we really do want to catch some walleyes...so my son can see how I did it in "the old days'! Thanks again....Mike

When you make your canoe reservation with Red Rock, ask Joe about local fishing lakes, including the one they used to stash boats in back when he was guiding.
Section 12 is interesting, but I wouldn't spend my hard-earned vacation time there. The lake used to be polluted with bass, some quite large, and then the DNR decided to improve it. They have tried stocking splake, walleye, and god knows what else, and seem to have succeeded only in screwing up what was a neat bass lake. Years ago there was a dock right off the driveway to Salminen's, and there would be dozens of large bass hiding in the shadows of the dock and boats. Long gone now....
Triangle is likewise "interesting" since it seems to produce some real quality fish - but in my experience is a true hit or miss type of lake. Either you really get 'em or you really don't.

This will be the 4th trip to Ely, including one over New Years but I've never headed off the beaten trail so all the lakes in the Boundary Waters are new to me. I would like to focus on those small enough to cover in half a day....The canoe trip that Joe (red Rock Store) proposed went through Wood Lake, Hula, Wind Bay, Wind Lake (dont like the sound of all that wind), Moose and then through Jasper I assume. I would like to take time to fish the best lake(s) in a day long trip-assuming I have the strength. Thanks

Lake Trout in Ojibway, have never caught anything over 20" but don't fish for them anyway. If I want trout go to Tofte for rainbows. As for Triangle, Rusty Crawfish have taken over the lake and ruined most of the weedbeds and upset the lake balance. Joe used to have canoes at the end of the portage to Wood Lake but that was when the County owned the land. Now it's USFS land and don't know if Joe has canoes or boat there. Going to Wind Bay on Basswood in early June...hope you have permit or can get one.
As I said before, I like reading the post about the Ely/BWCAW area but don't post much.
Gene in Duluth

Hey...Don't let Joe from Red Rock convince you Jasper is the bomb, hehe! Personally I would recommend Flash, Splash, Ensign, And a secret little lake of mine just North of Jasper! Figure it out on your own!! Otherwise Snowbank for walleyes has been hot lately and Basswood is always a favorite. I miss guiding Basswood, I used to have soooo much fun up there.

Genio...those **** rusty crawfish! If you like to eat them, go for it. They are large and only when their molting will bass, walleyes or pike eat them. They are causing problems all over the state...Blame the Deep South for that one.

I'll be heading into the bush soon to do my research. I will miss talking about the BWCA with all you folks. Makes me feel at home.

If you do the Wood, Hula, Wind Bay/Lake route you will be paddling all day. If its fish you are interested in, have Joe mark a map for you on Wood, and do that as a day trip, in and out. Snowbank is a thought, but I wouldn't do it from a canoe.
You know Genio, I was wondering about the weeds on Triangle! We used to catch some substantial snakes in that bay to the right as you come off the rollers, but last time I was in there the whole thing was different. What a bummer.

I would rather be trolling or casting than paddling, but I need to make the better half happy! Thanks for the advice....being on the forum makes me feel like I'm back at home except I can't hear those funny Minnesota accents......around this part of Kansas the only good thing to catch is catfish and they are just too ugly and fishing with chicken liver seems like a sick joke! Thanks again, guys. Mike