• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suggestions for charging batteries while camping on an island?

Hey I'll be on vermillion from the 29th-4th, planning on staying on an island and have no idea how I'm going to keep my batteries charged on my bass boat. Just looking for ideas! Also I'll be chasing the smallies, looking for a place to start. Any help would be great!

The first thing that comes to my mind is a generator and a battery charger. 2nd is you can get solar powered battery chargers that are for use in RVs, neither option is cheap.

I have a generator but don't want to piss off any other campers. I think the only other way is to bring it to shore and find a power source. Maybe there will a nice local up there.

I would think that if you bought a few rounds of brew at one of the resort bars they might let you plug it in somewhere for the night. Worth a shot, worse case scenario...you get a cold beer and maybe some fishing tips.

Check out one of those cute little honda 1000 watt generators. See if they are quiet enough. I would post a link, but I think that isn't allowed. Google honda generator and see. 59 db at 20 feet. They have a 110 and a 12 volt output.

del

I was at a campsite where someone was running one of those things and yes you can hear it, but it was not obnoxious. And the generator wouldn't be too bad if you only run it during the early evening.

Moose, bear, wolf, deer and human waste can be formed into a small energy producing dung heap.

Wired correctly you can run a small Island like you was in a BIG CITY!

laugh.gif

As MT mentioned a good drift can produce every bit as well in most cases.

cool.gif

You could go a bit more into it and wire the trolling motor stuff to the Alternator on your bass boat motor for the day?

Would not advise that for long periods, but it can be done.

crazy.gif

Best of luck.

Fart Boy Guide Service.

Now that you mention it, there is a commercial device that will charge trolling motor batteries with the excess output from the big motor alternator. That would help, depending on how many trips to the other end of the lake you make, and whether your outboard is one of those with a 60 amp alternator.

You can get a cheap ($20) solar charger for your 12 volt battery from Sportsman's Guide. Don't know if they work real well, but it'd be worth checking out and could solve all your problems. Here's the link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=152032

Let us know if you try it and they work well.

That is a 1.8 watt charger, or .150 Amps Typical trolling motor batteries are about 80 amp-hours in capacity, so if it was half gone, it would take about 250 hours to recharge the battery using this unit. and it only works during the day. It would be nice for keeping the battery in a vehicle up while parked for a long time.

Please think twice about bringing a generator.I would be very upset if a generator was runing while I was trying to enjoy the peace & quiet of lake vermillion,at a island campsite!

I like the idea of bring spare batteries. Heck, buy 3 and you're way ahead of the game if you had bought a generator. I'm with Pro V on the generator/noise issue. I don't care how quite they are reputed to be, the sound of those things can thrum through a forest as well as any grouse drumming. It just spoils the outdoor camping experience. Especially if you want to sit around the campfire on a primitive island and listen to the loons.

Have ya been to Vermilion before ? I'd be more worried about that there fiberglass bass boat getting pounded into the rocks by waves when your not out fishing. I am an old veteran of camping on vermilion and i've seen what can happen to even an aluminum boat,not to mention transducers. How bout hooking the batteries up to your charging system and take a long ride, maybe that'd work. grin.gif

OOPS!! You already left for the week-end.....good luck anyway, post when ya get back

I had a switch installed in my boat when I bought it that allows you to charge the trolling motor battery. It also allows you to access that battery if you should kill your starting battery. It has a #1 position (starting battery), #2 position (trolling motor battery), both, or off. I had it put in for just this purpose. It works well, but you have to watch the use of your trolling moter. You only get so much juice out of your outboard (I ordered the optional charging package). Still, you have to do some running to charge both your batteries.