• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

advice, going to Brule River July 6-7

rundrave

would anyone be willing to share some advice for me. I am meeting some buddies in the cities then we are driving to the Brule river in Wisconsin, to attempt some fly fishing on July 6th and 7th.

We are renting canoes and starting at Stones Bridge, and finishing at Winneboujou. We will be bringing waders, and plan to stop in a couple spots to wade around.

Any advice for what type of flies to use, size, dry/wet etc...

Also is it even worth the trip going fly fishing this time of the year on the Brule? I am not looking to catch anything huge, just dont want to get skunked.

Finally can anyone recommend a good fly/rod reel combo for a starter. I have fly fished before, but have never purchased a set up. Is it reasonable to get a rod/reel setup around $100?

Thanks to all in advance!

I'm not familiar with the Brule, but here's my advice on the setup. Set a limit of the price you are willing to spend because you can end up spending a lot if you want. I would recommend a rod made for 5/6 wt. line. Reels are important, but less important than the rod and line you choose. Line is probably the most important. If you want trout, flies in the 14-18 range work - bigger if you're after big fish.

My main message is - everything costs money, so set a limit and price everything out (I mean EVERYTHING) and you should end up with the best possible gear for the money you want to spend.

Good luck!

Feel free to contradict me

Ah the mighty Brule. I actually enjoy fishing in the summer months on the Brule. I usually wade, but also fish it from canoe (cover alot more water).

It's good brook trout fishing where your putting in, then gradually turns in good brown trout fishing. But there are both in the whole stretch you'll be on.

I usually use short leaders 6-8 feet when fishing from a canoe in the upper sections. Making quick casts to likely spots, because normally you have to keep on pace to make it back to the landing in a reasonable time. So the key is to make quick accurate casts, the drift is not as important, but getting the fly in the right spot right away.

Your best bet is 2 use dry flies, like EHC and adams in sizes 12-14. I like to use a grizzly adams size 12, it's big and floats well. It's awesome to see a big brown smack it hard. Summer is the time where there are lots of bugs out and brule river trout will eat pretty much any bug that comes near them. I would also use some smaller hopper imatations, now thats fun.

Remember that the river is spring fed and maintains pretty much a consistent temp from bank to bank. An outside bend might seem like slow slack water, but along the that outside bank is slower current, structure, trees and a natural funnel for bugs, try all the likely spots from bank to bank.

You'll also be going thru the Big Lakes section, there are some big brutes in there. I usually take a break and troll a wooly bugger or wooly worm, while im eating my lunch.

I'm pretty sure you guys won't get skunked on the Brule. There are lots of fish willing to bite cool.gif

A 5/6 weight it a very good rod fish river and for most rivers in MN and WI. I would look at seeing if you can borrow one from someone, if you don't do much fly fishing. Otherwise you can get cheap combos for 100 or less, but I wouldn't. If you plan on doing more fly fishing, plan on spending $100 on just the rod alone, it's well worth it, and you'll enjoy it more.

Well good luck and post back your results.

You might want to consider one of the Genesis combo's from Cabela's; around $135. The rod and reel seem fairly decent and the line w/backing they include is pretty good. I picked up a St. Croix combo for $60 when Galyan's closed down which was a great deal but the included line was pretty bad. Decent line and backing is important and not cheap (around $50). You might also look at the Reddington Crosswater Outfits that Wilson Creek Outfitters (google for the link) has on sale for $90.

Good advice so far. I would also suggest for you to consider Temple Fork rods as well. Excellent products for a competetive price.

really appreciate all the info, thanks alot guys. only one week to go, I cant wait. I think this week is going to go by really slow.

I recommend what was said previously, but also the scientific angler combos are reasonably priced between 50-100.

if the weather is nice i would actually leave the waders in the truck, everytime i have canoed the upper brule i just bring a pair of old shoes or sandals, it feels good to cool off on those hot july days. as for a rod i would either go with a st croix premier paired with a pleuger medalist reel or a redington redfly series combo. both are good rods at a lower price. good luck, i did this trip a week ago and it was a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

well I havent had a chance to post results until now so here we go:

First off I have to say that the Brule is very scenic and beautiful. I would go again just for the canoe trip.

As for the fishing, it wasnt great, the weather was pretty chilly last week and not sure if that had an effect on the fish. We managed lots of bites but was only able to land one Brooke Trout. There were tons of fish seen but few landed. All in all it was a nice get away. I think if I were to do it again I would not canoe, and just wade. We spent most of our day conoeing just trying to get the canoes back in time, we maybe spent an hour or 2 at most fishing.

• 1 month later...

I just got home from work and after a short nap I'll be out on the Brule. I was just wondering if anyone else has been out lately. I haven't been able to get away from work the past few weeks. I'll spend the morning on the Brule and then scout for salmon spots through to Ashland. I'll try to give a post when I'm back.

i've been fishing the brule quite a bit lately and doing pretty well as of late. been getting a mixture of lake run and resident browns with the occassional early arriving steelhead mixed in. matt, let us know how you did and you should give me a heads up if you find any salmon. i don't fish the south shore very much except the brule and would like to learn a few other spots this fall as well.

Quick, fishing was good yesterday and today. Caught 3 steelhead and 5 big browns. No sign of salmon but I'm hearing there's some in Pikes...I won't be getting too excited for a another couple weeks. Not sure if I can make it back out til then anyways so much to do here. Be sure to make a post if you make it out. Good luck!

Brule isn't that far from the Duluth/Superior area and there are many places to stay there. Where are you coming from? I don't know the names of any motels closer to the Brule so I'm not much help there but I drive from Duluth to fish it and I suppose it's about a half hour trip.

I'm coming up from the Twin Cities with the tribe. I thought about staying in Duluth or Superior and probably will if I can't find something close. I'm thinking on comming up October 12-16, is that a decent time for the Steelhead?

Steve, sorry, but not really. If you're coming up that part of the year and are set on fishing you should find a good creek/river that salmon migrate into. You might find an occasional steelhead that followed the salmon up the river but steelhead spawn in the spring and that is the best time to target them. Also, the fishing is slower and the angling pressure is higher on the MN side, perhaps something else to consider.

Steve, I would bring my steelhead rod if I were you. Most of the Brule's steelhead enter the river in the fall (about 7-8K last fall, if my memory serves me). They overwinter in the river and spawn in the spring.

Bring your 7-weight and have fun!

I'm building an 8wt 9' 4piece rod at the momement based on a Dan Craft Blank. I have a Tibor Back Country with two spools, one on plan on putting 8wt XPS and the other some shooting line (or 30lb Amnisia) and give that ago. The wife and kids will attack them with 10' spinning rods.