• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alexander Muskies

Hows the muskies doing on Alex??? Im staying at my families cabin on Fishtrap next weekend and was wondering if you guys been catching or seeing any??????

I have fished Alex many of times and havent got one yet so maybe this might be the time!!!! Who nows

Anyways a little general info would be fantastic!!!!!

Brian

Been out there a few times, see alot but can't get'em to bite. Last time out they were chasing bulldawgs and couple looked at my top water. Planning on going tomrrow morning, maybe I will have a better report for you then.

Thanks for the report!!! Its seems like when i fish Alex i always have A LOT of follows. I think the muskies there are very educated. I also think the water is so clear they see the boat a lot easier.

Anyways thanks a lot!!!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

You now i just dont understand the muskies on this lake!!! I fished all day friday, saterday, and sunday on Alex and i didnt get a muskie. I think there must be some type of a curse for me on this lake.

I had about 12-14 follows throughout the weekend. I had 2 of the fish open their mouth and try to grab on the lure. I had another fish grab a hold of my top water lure, but he decided to hit it in the front instead of the back of the lure where the hooks are.

All the fish I saw where in the 45-50 class range except one so that got the legs shaken pretty good.

I just dont know what to do different on that lake. I think the water is just to clear and you gotta fish only in the mornings and after dark.

Do any of you guys got any advice to maybe get me on the right track. Anything would be help cuz what im doing just isnt cutting it!!! THANK BRIAN

We were out on Sunday, not even a follow. I don't know what to do either. Saturday we were on Shammy, not much better. Had two little follows, add them together they might have made a 50".

I fish it alot and have had most of my luck in the low light hours.(sunrise and sunset) It is because the lake is so clear and musky's are so darn smart.(educated)

Alexander muskies will give you ulcers! confused.gif That lake has beat me down several times. I finally approached it on one of those days that most poeple with a brain bigger than a pea are taking shelter. Rain, wind, clouds and major pressure changes...I went fishing. Granted the weather was bad, I was soaked and cold the fish actaully went active. I belive it has everything to do with water clarity/light conditions, small little mistakes that go un-noticed on most lakes stand out like a becon in the gin clear water. Maybe the fish are active more than we think but little things they notice turn them off or hold them back from striking? I know it sure is fustrating to see the sows laying up in the weeds and never even move towards a bait. Has anybody fished it super late say 2-3am, any luck.

we troll at night shallow for eyes quite a bit, and have CPRed many skis and lost many a crank to those buggers. I think if you went out at night you may have better luck.

I have also run into numerous muskies while trolling for walleyes. Contrary to popular belief, muskies taste very good when properly prepared.

Quote:

Contrary to popular belief, muskies taste very good when properly prepared.

Big fish of any species (which muskies obviously have to be in order to legally keep) are great on the table if you want to slowly kill yourself with high mercury content in your food. Me personally, I want to live longer so I can continue to enjoy life. So I limit my mercury intake as much as possible.

Quote:

we troll at night shallow for eyes quite a bit, and have CPRed many skis and lost many a crank to those buggers. I think if you went out at night you may have better luck.

Do the skis show a color preference late at night that you may have noticed?

Ive always had good luck with follows with Yellow, Red, White, and Green. Ive never caught a muskie on Alexander though so i dont know if those are good.

Anybody have luck catching any with these bright colors???

Brian

Is there a campground on Alexander? My brother and I really want to fish this lake. Thinking about coming up late thursday night and staying for the weekend.

I have fished Alexander only a few time and have not noticed any camp grounds.

I shish Alex all the time and have never seen a campground anywhere on the lake. Come to think about it I dont think there is any in that area at all. Maaby check on a hotell in Brainerd and trailer, Its ony 25 min away.

Duck

There is a hotel in Motley which is 10 minutes away from the west access. There is also a campground on the south east side of Fishtrap lake which is connected to Alex but i dont think you can go lake to lake anymore.

You can not go from lake to lake by boat. And there is no camp grounds on Alexander.

JJJ i have about 3-4 firetiger lures of everyy shape and size because the skis tend to eat them up. Also lost quite a few blue/silver raps about 2 years ago including 3 in one night, that was a little expensive that night!

I was on the southeast corner of the lake over the 4th and noticed two campers set up on a big piece of property. I don't know if this was a campground or private residence. It looked like they were set up on a tar parking lot.