• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where can I go w/ grandchildren

I need your help??? confused.gif

Most of my fishing for the past 30 years has been either on Pepin or up North from a boat.

This Saturday I've promised my Granddaughter and Grandson to take them fishing. laugh.gif

The problem is I am on call and can not be in a situation where I can not get to a phone and an internet connection within 15 minutes. Can't get someone to take on-call for me. frown.gif

Where can I take them in and around Rochester where we can fish from the bank and still have a good chance of catching some fish. Any fish would be good, it doesn't have to be any certain type.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Quarry Hill Nature Center has a pond with oodles of little sunfish. Very eager fish. They will bite on almost a bare hook. Also an ocassional bass and crappie. Otherwise C.C. Manor pits or Foster's.

Dan, I hadn't thought about the Quarry Hill. Do I just drive in to the parking area, I think the pond is behind the building, correct ??

Also are there restrictions on the CC Manor pits. Where can I park etc:

Thanks

Hey Foot,

You bet the pond is directley behind the Nature Center.

And about the manor pits, there is many ways to get there but I have got there by going down the hill on 7th street toward Trade Mart. Then make a right on Lake street I think it is. Follow that south and make a left after a couple blocks. Just a short walk from there. I haven't been there since hard water so things might have changed a bit.

Good luck on you expedition and let us know how the grandkids did.

Dan, thanks again.

I'll be sure to let you know how they do. My grandson (he's 6) called last night to make sure I had all of the fishing tackle ready and had I got the bait yet ? He told me I had better wait to get the bait until he gets here just to make sure we get the best ones.

I remember going to Silver Lake when I was about 10 to fish for carp. My 2 brothers and I would have a package of hotdogs, a can of whole kernel corn and enough money to buy 3 bottles of pop. We'd spend the entire day walking the shore looking for carp stiring up the bottom. We had one old metal pole with a level wind reel with black braided line. Once we found where a carp was working we'd drop a line with the corn on the hook and hold on. Sometimes we'd never get to see the carp. They would be so big they would take all our line and we'd have to use our pop money to go buy more fishing line.

I think my grandson is going to be just as crazy about fishing. At least I hope so.

No problem Foot, it sure is fun bringing up the kids in a fishing environment. Brings back so many memories don't it?

Silver Lake seems to be a spot where many of us have been as we were young. We rode bikes from Country Club and also fished for them bruiser carp.

FOOT, do you work at mayo? I thought I might know you. Carl.

Carl, yes I work at Mother Mayo. Superior Support Drive building.

Report from out fishing adventure:

Both my Granddaughter (Samantha 8) and Grandson (Jerod 6) have fished before and love it so it was just a matter of getting them into fish. No problem there.

We started at Quarry Hill and caught quite a few small sunnies. Samantha had something bigger on but it spit the hook. Probably a bass.

From Quarry Hill we went to Willow Creek where again the small sunnies were biting. And unfortunately one family was keeping everything they caught. Which maybe wasn't such a bad thing if the sunnies are stunted at WC. We threw everything back.

It was time for lunch so we made a quick trip to Wendy's and then headed to the Silver Lake playground.

After a short time at teh playground we headed to the C.C. pits. There we scored on some larger sunnies and a couple of crappie that will probably be keepers next year.

All in all in was a great day. Samantha caught the most fish and the first fish. Jerod caught the largest a LM Bass about 12 - 13 inches long. We already planned another trip and a journey up North to a relatives cabin.

Thanks again for your help in directing me to some close locations.

Thanks for the follow up report FOOT. It's always nice to hear the follow up when people ask questions. Sounds like you had a great day with everyone involved.

Andy