• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Maple Grove Gander

Crankin619

Question

Here is some expert information. If you need fishing supplies try Cub foods before Gander! :-) I was there shopping last evening and tried to find quite a few things which they seemed to be out of most everything. Here are just a few things I tried unsuccessfully to buy:

Vanish small spool

Tourney life vest red/grey

Small bags for tying spinners

Leech Tamer

Beads

I am sure there are more items but come on what a joke. Anyobody want to start a board for how fast that gander sinks after the Rogers Cabela's opens up. I can't wait, maybe I should volenteer at the job site to help them get Cabela's opened sooner! grin.gif

12 answers to this question

Crankin - I had the same experience there last week. Sad - I worked there off & on for a little over 2 years when they first opened and they were the premier Gander at that time. Holiday bought 'em out and they've been falling apart ever since. What a shame. I'm looking forward to Cabelas opening as I live in St. Mike too (roughly 4.3 miles from the new Cabelas, but that's a rough estimate... wink.gif )

You find any leech tamers at Cub? grin.gif

I can't agree with you more! That store is a joke, the selection is terrible. I used to work at that store 2 years ago, and was frustrated because of our selection. It wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, we used to have most of the stuff. One thing is to ask if we would happen to have something in back stock, as there is a ton of good merchandise not on the floor of that store. A lot of the workers of that store have left in the past 2 months that were really knowledgable and verterans, I hope they can at least find decent replacements. It is sad that Gander Mountain is going down the tank, I mean look at all they sponsor for the outdoors that we will loose once this corporation goes down. Pro-am bass tour, phesants forever, ducks unlimited, gander mtn fishing show, lake minnetonka crappie contest, etc. Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park has twice the selection of the Gander, so you might want to try there.

Yes, it is very frustrating. Unfortunately most of the Gander Mountain stores are like this. I have stopped shopping there because of that and other reasons. The new Cabelas store will be a good one...I hope. Other than that I spend a lot of time up north and the new REEDS store in Baxter has treated me great! I will be spending a lot of time there. Well Good Luck with the Tackle Hunt. smile.gif

Chev

Oh but if you need a plastic worm they have every color, size and shape you could dream of... However, if you try to find a spinner bait that doesn't look like Cindy Lauper on a bad hair day - good luck!

They lost the keys to open the real display, when I wanted to look at some casting reals. Then didn't have the display reels in stock.

I can't stand that store anymore. It is worse than a Walmart in regards to store organization (cluttered aisles, no stock, items stocked in the wrong location, etc), level of knowledge (or lack of same) possessed by most of the help, and overall upkeep. I will make the drive over to Sportsmens Warehouse in CR or Fleet Farm before going o Gander anymore. I stopped by the Forest Lake "Stuper" Store 2 weeks ago on my way up to Superior. They are marketing the fact that they sell and service boats now and I needed a new prop wrench. After trying, in vain, to find one myself (found the display of replacement props....no wrenches) I asked one of the "techs". "why would you need a special wrench fer?" was the response I got. I walked away muttering to myself....

I hate to kick 'em when they're down, but that store is miserable. I live about a mile from them, but I don't shop there anymore. Their seasonal changes happen way too soon and staple items are always out of stock. I prefer Capra's, Thorne Bros, and occasionally Fleet Farm.

I'm looking forward to Cabelas, but I'll still do most of my shopping at Capra's and Thorne. Those stores offer quick access to the good stuff. No parking in a 400 acre parking lot and I don't have to walk thru 500 feet of clothing to get to the fishing equip.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that was irritated with the MG Gander!!!

My two cents worth. I stopped going there a year or so ago. Fleet Farm is between me and Maple Grove although I am becoming disenchanted with their selection lately as well. Luckily I drive through Forest Lake about once a week for work. Also, my office is as close to Rogers, and the future Cabella's as it is to Gander. I expect to see a GAP or something similar in that space, 6 months after Cabella's opens.

Just so you know the Minnetonka Gander is just as bad. And the schmuck that runs their fishing dept seems to think he's a lot more important than his pee-on customers and employees. Unfortunately there's not too many alternatives around here though.

Guys,

Don't worry, I think Cabellas is trying to finish and open the Rogers store before hunting season, won't be long now.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids is a pretty cool store. Much bigger than Gander and they ususally have everything in stock. I stopped by there early last week to buy a transom mount transducer for my LX3 and they were out of them. I told one of their reps and he said he'd order some right away. I stopped back two days later and the display was full of them.

I can't wait for Cabellas to open, but I can't imagine the traffic it's going to cause in Rogers. The city is already a zoo on Fridays with everyone trying to get out of town on 94 and 101.