• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pet Peeve at boat launches....

I hate when people are fishing at the boat landing, and they look at you like you are the A-hole for making them move out of the way so you can get your boat in/out.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwag70

• Dan Thiem

• buzzsaw

• The Grebe

I vote for winching not power loading. It creates a real problem at the launch I use most. It washes the gravel away from the end of the concrete and then when you back in you can drop the trailer wheels into the hole. I talked with the DNR guys that take care of the ramps in the area and powerloading is their pet peeve. They have to keep hauling gravel and it's their busy time of the year.

this may sound stupid but what is "power loading"??

Driving your boat on your trailer instead of cranking it on. You use your motor to drive and steer your boat on. Sometimes you need to give it a little juice to get all the way up and that may create wash outs.

This may just be me, but I consider "power loading" to be using the outboard to push the boat onto the trailer. This is not to be confused with driving up to the trailer. I drive up to my trailer, and then winch it up the last foot or so. This is at slow-no-wake throttle levels, and not power loading, AFAIK.

-rus-

This story is a family classic. My brother and I were in grade school and we were out to the lake with my parents. We pulled the boat onto shore so my dad could get the trailer and get in line, it was a busy weekend afternoon. My brother, my mom and I are sitting in the boat watching people load and unload. A couple with a nice rig are loading their boat. They have obviously rehearsed the process and are very proud of how efficient they have become. The wife backs the suburban and trailer into the water and the husband drives the boat onto the trailer. The problem is that there is a huge hole that the trailer is sitting in and there must be a concrete slab in fromt of the tire. The husband winches up the boat from the bow and decides he's going to take a ride stradling the bow of the boat. His wife hits the gas and the tires start spinning but they aren't going anywhere. The husband has a very short fuse and starts swearing at his wife. She backs up a couple feet and he yells HIT IT ALICE! She stomps the gas, the truck takes off, the trailer boat and dude riding the bow all jump out of the water vertically. Both trailer tires are flat, the axle is about two feet further back than where it started and the wife never let off the gas and drove out of the landing. It's amazing that guy stayed on the bow. He should have earned a belt buckle for that ride, I have a feeling that was the last time he yelled at his wife at the boat landing. I thought my mom was going to pee her pants she was laughing so hard. The term "hit it Alice" is still used on occasion in our family.

Boat launches are always great entertainment!!! Like the time my friend who has no clue about fishing but we are launching the boat and say here hold this rope so he does as the boat starts to float he lets go of the rope boat floats away luckily someone was kind enough to bring our boat back..

Another time my old man launches the boat and the battery doesn't work so we pull it on to the beach we jump out (friend the old man and myself) we sit on the shore for a few minutes contemplating on what to do, I believe this was on opener on Leech Lake cold water, we turn around and the boat is drifting away 40 yards out. The old man turns to me and says go get the boat!!! I said swim to it are you nuts!! I wasn't ready to strip down and go swimming in 50 degree water.. ended up that before I could reconsider my comment the old man is in the water retrieving the boat then leaves for over an hour and gets a battery for the boat... WHAT A DAD!!!

Oh two years prior to that incedent I sat in colder water on Mille Lacs (opener) holding the boat from crashing against rock in waist deep water for 15 mins as he tried to repair the motor....needless to say even though we don't catch fish together and we always have problems we still go fishing together!!! An early Happy Father's to my old man and all the Father's out there!!!!!!! grin.gif

I have never been to a launch w/ a sign that says "no power loading". I guess I don't get out enough..

power loading? it depends on the depth of the launch, I have a bunk trailer, and the only way to get it on and off is to use the motor. I do my best to get the trailer out deep enough to just engage reverse to back off, then when loading, I will be slightly farther out of the water, so the boat can right itself, and drive close to the winch, then give it a little burst at the end to get it all the way up. I have seen straps break winching up a glass boat on a bunk trailer becuase of the weight of the boat makes it impossible, so we have no choice to power it up.

I also have bunks and I agree, there's no way I can winch my 21'er, either the winch belt or the winch post is gonna break. I always back it in as far as possible but you can only go so far cuz bassboats are too shallow and you'll just float around and not lined up when you pull out. I like the do it once and get out of the way.

They hate you for taking too long and they hate you for power loading, what's a guy to do?

It seems that people that are adamently against something, either can't do it (Like golf), don't have it (A motor big enough to powerload with), can't afford it (The big boat to go with the motor).....I'am all of the above and I hate everybody! grin.gif

Another of my pet peeves is when your bud/s sits on his rear

at the landing, comming in, or going out, letting you do all the work...or if you entrust him to do something and he does'nt do it..."I thought YOU put the plug in?"

I guess that it is'nt anything that a little strangulation and a severe beating would'nt cure. grin.gif

I think the powerloading situation is only going to continue to get worse. The industry trend is bigger and heavier boats with bunk trailers. Once I was at a small local bass club event when a warden showed up at the weigh-in. Most boats were beached and when the first guy came to load up the CO told him not to power load. So he starts to use his winch for the first time and pulls the bow eye right through the fiberglass keel of his stratos bass boat. Then the warden says I guess it's ok. Bunk trailers are ment to drive on. If you have to goose it then your not deep enough. The problem is not bad right now but when we have low water like in the 80's drought years then we will see more serious issues. I think the problem is that the boat launch slabs are not long enough to compensate for the new trend of bigger boats.

I actually don't mind the power loaders for the couple of local launches that I use. Reason being that if you have a boat that's big enough to require power loading, there's about a 90% chance you won't make it back to the landing smile.gif

Watched many thousands of dollars worth of damage happen in the span of about two minutes at a tournament start a couple years back. Lot of BIG boats that didn't know the water. There were at least four boats that never wet a line, seeing as they were searching in two feet of water for the bottom half of the outboard :-)

I haven't seen a boat/trailer combo yet, that could only be power loaded. If the bow eye gets ripped out, I would think you need slicker bunks, and/or to back in deeper. If the boat likes to float off-center on the back of the trailer, put on side guides.

I know there are people who will power load anyway, and if the landing isn't posted otherwise, I see no reason for them not to, if that is how they are comfortable.

Back on the topic of the thread... This was a couple years back, but I remembered it when I saw the launch the other day. The ramp is alongside a bar on the river, and down a steep, narrow gravel drive. You have to back down the hill about 100 yards to the launch and then drive back up the same way. Gent shows up in a small SUV with a Lund and a Honda 90 on the back. Gets about half way down the hill and tries to slow down, starts skidding in the loose gravel. Stopped quick when his trailer hit a tree off the side of the drive. Helped tow out he SUV, then one of the other guys hooked up his boat and launched it for him - lucky there was no more than paint damage.

Still wonder how he got that boat *out* of the water that day...

-rus-

What makes me mad is. When pepople don't put there trailers far enough in the water. So there sitting there with the boat wide open trying to get the boat on the trailer. JUST PUT THE TRAILER BACK FAR ENOUGH IN THE WATER. Thats my 2 cents

My biggest on is when someone sits holding on to their boat at the dock and it is blocking the launch so you can't back your boat in till they leave the dock and while they are sitting there they have to make 3 trips back to there truck to get there coolers, towels and tubes. I don't get why they just can't move to the other side of the dock out of the others way. confused.gif

I witnesses a pretty comical launch yesterday at the Fish Lake access. There was a large group of people trying to load a heavy 20ft 70's Glastron with a little S-10 extended cab. The guy didn't know how to back up a trailer, and they had the motor down all the way trying to get the boat on the trailer. Well, they got the skeg caught on the concrete and couldn't move the boat. It took them 25 minutes to finally get the boat on and lined up. The truck was bubbling water from the exahaust, and I thought the whole truck was going in with the trailer. I couldn't believe that that thing got it up. Well there was 6 people that crammed in the s-10 and they drove away without any straps to hold it down. It was one where you had to be there. I would've helped them, and tried telling them to get the motor up, but they didn't speak English. I was trying to remember back in sophmore spanish how to say "motor up" Haha, oh well, they just ground the skeg down a little bit when the pulled it up.

We were over in Algoma Wisc for the weekend salmon fishing, with real good luck. I went down to the public pier saturday night to see how some other fisherman did. Ended up standing down there for about a hour just watching boats come in from the lake and watching them load. Everybody that I saw load got along just fine no yelling or swearing. The launch is a no power loading launch. Some of the guys with the big heavier boats had a little more a difficult time loading but they managed. It was nice to see that it didn't ruin a good day on the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering then how do you load a boat on trailer with bunkers instead of rollers?? I know I am not winching my boat up my bunker trailer it would be impossible.

Never heard of a No Power Loading launch.

I assume you are expected to crank your boat up at these launches.

Whats the reason behind these?

Not that I care. I never powerload, because my trailer is not exactly an engineering wonder and if a roller gets out of place I end up with a big gash in my boat. Back the trailer in far enough and I usually only have to crank up 3 - 4 ft.

If its a steep ramp and she's crankin too hard, back in a little further.

when taking in a boat after dark please turn off your headlights when fiddling around at the launch. This makes it rather difficult for the guy backing his trailer in on the other side to see where he is going.

Quote:

when taking in a boat after dark please turn off your headlights when fiddling around at the launch. This makes it rather difficult for the guy backing his trailer in on the other side to see where he is going.

Good point... also applies to early morning drop off... ie duck hunting! On the Chevy that we have if you hit the dome overide button twice the DRL's will turn off as well. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Out watching fireworks on the St.Louis bay and I saw a 18' boat with 11 people in it running around at cruising speed after dark. Just plain old stupid!

I was at a little lake out by Finland MN and I get to the ramp a couple guys pull in just in front of me start backing to the water then stop and get out pull the motor out of the truck, hang the motor, get the gas tank, install the gas tank, get the coolers, rods, bait, tackle boxes, etc and then finally launch the boat.

Where the hell do these people come from? I mean really do they pull out of their drive way park in the middle of the road and run back in the house and get their coffee and lunch?

this boat launch was 3 across. so that means 3 boats could launch at once. We were the only ones lanching but had to wait until someone moved there boat off the dock. i flipping hate when people launch there boat and then park it right on the dock and wait for the person driving the truck to get back. We were waiting to put in and no one even thought about moving there boat to the other side of the dock or even move down to the end of the dock. It make you wonder if some people have ever launched a boat before.

Was this at Lax Lake? If so I helped two old timers up there once.

One old guy was backing down the ramp while the other old guy was walking behind the truck holding the front of the boat. Well the guy decideds to do the hard reverse then hard brake to make the boat slide off the trailer and into the water. He almost pancaked the other guy who couldn't move fast enough. That's when I decided to help them out.

My peeve is people with nicer boats than me (about 75% of em) and those who bring in more and/or bigger fish than me (about 99.9% of em) crazy.gif

My pet peeve is all the beautiful girls standing around the ramp that want my phone number. It can really slow down the launching process!

I witnessed a good one Saturday night at Hobo Park on Lake Minnewaska. There was about 70 of us in the campground lined up along the marina watching the fireworks when this brand new pimped out G3 comes in from the lake. The guy drops his partner off at the dock to get the trailer and then he whips a nice little doughnut in the no wake area just to make sure everybody saw his nice boat. It took this poor guy 10 minutes to get his boat on the trailer - most of the time he wasn't even close. A bunch of people watching the fireworks were giving him a hard time. They would yell HIT IT!! whenever he approched his trailer and were yelling a bunch of other funny stuff. When he finally got his boat up everybody stood up and started clapping and cheering - freakin' hilarious!! I bet he went out and bought side guides for his boat the next day!!

As for some of this other stuff sometimes I think people need to develop a little more patience. My biggest pet peeve is the up tight guy who thinks everybody is a professional boat launcher - some people just need to relax a little bit - they'll live longer.

FI

FI

My pet peeve is when anyone (other than me) is using the boat ramp. Don't they know that I have priority over everybody.

I am good enough...

I am smart enough...

...and gosh darn it, people like me!!

Sure would be nice if everyone else just stayed home.

By the way Bigdog, those girls are standing there waiting for ME to arrive. I always have my girls arrive before me so I can make an entrance. You'll here my theme music and see the fishbowls under my shoes as I arrive holding my "pimp" of the year trophy.