• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pet Peeve at boat launches....

Tryed to get on 3 lakes in the north metro sucess on the 4th

But what really gets me is these (Contact US Regarding This Word) that refuse to look to a different lake when the spots are full one I stopped at was full plus the handicap spot and the sheriff's spot with truck trailer and then everyone else just parked any way they wanted !!!Getting out of the lake would require a 90 degree turn so you did not hit the (Contact US Regarding This Word) that parked his rig right in front of the launch... The only way out was to back out of the parking lot !!! What a pain they need to tow those people out of there... There are only as many spots in a lot to control the boat traffic on the lake... Too many people concerned only for themselves out there

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwag70

• Dan Thiem

• buzzsaw

• The Grebe

Naw you haven't hit on the real pain at a landing. The "angler" who hasn't run his boat in years. He backs it down the landing and it won't start. So now starts the process that takes forever including running jumper cables to the boat after 10 to 15 min of cranking. The cover is off parts are laying around. Still they haven't moved from the landing. Aaarrgh!! 3.00 bucks for a pair of muffs. Get them use them. FIX YOUR BOAT AT HOME....

Thanks I needed that.

Ha.

People who are unable to back the trailer in!!!!

Last Saturday we were on a NE SD Lake when a thunder cloud popped up from nowhere. Before we could reel them up we saw a huge bolt of lightning a few miles away. Time to get out of there. We hit the landing only to watch a guy take 10 minutes (I am serious..10 mins!) to back his trailer in. The whole time I am thinking we're going to get fried. He was so bad, that he jack knifed the trailer to the point where the wheels slid sideways.

With just a little practice, anyone can learn.

My favorite is the folks who wait their turn, then back almost to water's edge, then get out and take a boat cover off and prepare their boat for water. Or on the flip side, those who take their boat out of the water, then leave it in place blocking the ramp while they secure the boat for land travel. I go bonkers.

I don't get angry at people who have a tough time backing it in. We all have to learn sometime and I'm sure they'd prefer be good at it. But wasting time at water's edge is just common sense and some people don't have that. They are completely oblivious to others.

I think all of the above are pet peeves for everyone. Its probably just as frustrating for the guy who cant back up the trailer, just offer to give them a hand, help guide him. Saves him time, and saves yourself time. I have even heard of people just hopping in the drivers seat and doing it for them haha.

On the other a little common sense for some people would go along way. Sometime I really wonder about some folks...

Sometimes I can excuse inexperienced adults at boat launches, heck even the ignorant ones at times also. But, I don't excuse anyone for letting their kids play on the ramps.

Get them the heck out of the way!!!!!!!!!

Please be a parent, the kids are not thinking, they are encountering sensory overload at the lake.

This is my biggest pet peeve.

How about when the lauches are busy, some people still have to get the boat IN the water before they load their tackle, rods, cooler etc. so we have to wait for them.

Or how bout those that have to unload the boat before they back the trailer in to take it out of the water.

Just something to think about. If your the only one at the docks, who cares. But if its busy, I get a bit impatient.

Now, Add all these things together and see how long it takes:

Cant back a trailer in/out of water

Is not prepared to launch boat/or dock boat

Boat wont start/other engine problems

oh well, I've always been able to get fishing out no matter how it takes to do so. Good luck fishing laugh.gif

WAG

It drives me nuts when I go fishing with my dad. He keeps everything in the PU. If the launch has a dock, he will put the stuff on the dock, launch the boat then put the stuff in the boat. Reverse the order when leaving the lake. When you back the boat in, you have to stop just before the hubs hit the water, (can't let the hubs suck in water and cause the beaings to fail). By the way, my dad's 86 years old so I doubt he will change anytime soon so if you happen to be waiting at a launch for him, cut him a little slack please.

People are weird that is for sure!!! Last night my buddy and I came off Mille Lacs as we pulled up to the ramp a guy had just pulled his boat out of the water and stops on the ramp. Door open on his vehicle and he leaves blocking the ramp for 10-15 minutes. How dumb can one be?? I sat in the boat and yelled some words to move the vehicle and who parks on the ramp and leaves the vehicle unattended just not as friendly and then he appears out of the bar like no big deal and drives away!!! What a donkey!!!

There has been many times I have just got a cooler and a lawn chair and set in the park at the ramp. Summers best entertainment is at the ramp at times. The problem is when the guy starts to scream and yell at his wife. That's not so entertaining.

LotsofLuck, I like your avatar. I saw the episode on the Blue Oyster Cult spoof. Very cool!

What gets me is when you are trying to get the boat in/out of the water and you have the family using the launch dock as their own - kids, pets, fishing poles, tackle boxes, etc. all over the place. Especialy when they refuse to move out of the way and act like your the one who shouldn't be there. IT IS A BOAT LAUNCH!

I agree with Dan, watching someone elses grief can be great entertainment. Years ago I was backing the boat in at a private marina. There was an old coot in a lawn chair on the dock saying "Back a little farther". Sure as heck I went over the last concrete slab and got the trailer frame hung up. Then he said "Went too far, knew it right off". Turns out he didn't work there, he was just having some fun.

Quote:

There was an old coot in a lawn chair on the dock saying "Back a little farther". Sure as heck I went over the last concrete slab and got the trailer frame hung up. Then he said "Went too far, knew it right off". Turns out he didn't work there, he was just having some fun.

that made me laugh, sorry but i found it funny.

I havent had problems at the landings but one time i had problem backing in and there was a truck waiting and watching me for about 3 minutes and i finally gave up and asked him for help and there we go, it saved alot time and they sure were happy after it was done. grin.gif

Quote:

LotsofLuck, I like your avatar. I saw the episode on the Blue Oyster Cult spoof. Very cool!

Classic isn't it.

I need more cowbell.

Explore the space of the room with the cowbell.

Practice and manner can fix most of these issue too bad no one wants try either !!!!!

I have jumped in a guys truck and back it in launched his boat and parked it cause the line kept growing longer as we waited...

got a thanks out od the deal but I always wondered if he waited for me to come back in so I could load it for him...

And a point to ponder... When you see all of this how many times is it a guy like me with a 2nd hand rig causing the issues.. For me it is always some one with a new truck and a new(er) boat messing up the launch...

My favorite was at Prior Lake a couple years ago at the upper launch. The launch was busy so a guy 2 rigs back has his buddy get out and stand in the only parking spot that was left available. The guy in front put his boat in and started toward the parking spot only to meet some meat-head that thought he was a brick wall. Turns out after a shouting match and a few words the kids needed "earmuffs" for and a full size pickup inching forward and the guy wasn't quite the brick wall he thought he was. The guy that parked in the spot was smart. First thing he did is get the plates of the truck that the guy was with and said if there is any damage to his truck, he knows who to inform the police is responsible.

Here is a flip side to all of this....Last night at Grays Bay, there was alot of traffic as usual, before and after dark....the line started winding around, people getting set to go down to the ramp and trailer their boats.

My parking position was thus that the line blocked me in and I could'nt back up, I had it in reverse so that some kind soul would know what I wanted to do and recognize the perdicament..openings closed up as fast as the vehicle in front moved forward. Then, after about 10 trailers pulled past, a fella in an SUV let me into the line...thats pretty cool I thought.

For all the traffic out there, there was only one boat that I seen that held up the process...looked like they were doing just about everything except waxing the sucker!

This is my second year with the boat, and first experience with a trailer, so, I'm real self-concious at the landing.

I take my time to get everything in the boat before I move to the launch...my second time at the landing, I forgot to put the plug in the boat, and by the time I parked the truck and got back to the boat...well, I knew immediately what was wrong! LOL. Bilge pumps sure are handy!!!!

Anyway, if anyone shows up at the landing before I start to move into position, I just tell them "Go ahead, I"m in no hurry", or I will wave them on. I think they understand, because I've never gotten a "laugh or snicker", they just acknowledge me and move ahead...I appreciate it, and I think they do also.

Rogue

All of the above, And the people who try to balance their days worth of garbage on obviously overflowing trash cans instead of just bringing it to another less full can, or--God forbid-- "all" the way home with them.

I don't know how someone could get too upset about someone not being the fastest person backing their boat in, I mean heck, everyone has to learn some how. In fact one thing that can be just as annoying are those people that excersise zero patience when at the landing. Just because you've done it "a hundred times" doesn't mean the other guy has, so be patient with them. Remember it is a public landing and as long as the guy isn't being rude be courteous. I'm sure it is embarrasing and difficult enough without getting flak from some a-hole that is in a hurry.

I think the general consesus is patience for those having a little trouble backing the trailer. But the others are nothing but rude. Its odd how this thread came up today.

This morning an ugly storm was approaching and I decided to get off the water. Here sits this yokel with a big pleasure barge smack in the middle of the landing taking his canvas off the boat....which incidently was in the water on the trailer with the doghouse up! I do not have much time to offer fools like this one. There is a half acre of parking lot to do the prep work. When the boat is key-ready, then back it in and clear the ramp.

I forgot to add I helped my first boaters in need at the launch earlier in the year!!

Lake Waconia, early nice days of the spring, a little gal backs the truck down the ramp better than most "men", i was very impressed. Husband (Husky Fella) proceeds to drive onto roller trailer with lund, pefect. Gal tried with all her might to crank boat up the rest of the way, well lets just say she didn't have enough rear end to get'r done, i proceeded to ask if I could assisit, you could just see the relief come over her face, she was very thank-ful, made my boating day.

Never thought to help until i read some of these posts last year.

I think we all have been in these situations. I have a reaaalllyy short fuse, so I do all I can to keep my mouth shut. So far nobody has heard what I was thinking. I have helped a person or two back down the launch or helped them get the boat loaded straight, so I could get on with my day a little quicker.

I have to admit these are all anoying, but my biggest pet peeve is when my boat is sitting next to the dock and some inconsiderate person comes flying in and stops just short of the launch causing my boat to get slammed against the dock a few times by big waves and puts some nice big scratches in the paint! If it's a windy lake, it doesn't matter, but when it's dead calm, there's no reason for it. I swear some people don't know that boats on half plane create big waves? I am always thinking of others when I'm at the launch or on the water. I would never do something to someone else that I would'nt want done to me.

As for "you have to learn to back a trailer sometime". I agree, but there's a place and time for it, and the boat launch is not the place to learn when it's busy. Practice in your driveway or on a back road if your that bad.

I can usually be patient and wait, but you never know who's in the next truck. That guy could be looking for a reason to let out some frustration.

Someone should write a book on boating and launch ethics!

I have patience for guys who can't back in trailers, but really its not that hard guys, the pay attention to the bottom of your steering wheel, whichever way that goes, that is the way your boat is going. Then again I don't need to tell you guys how to back a boat in, most of us on this site fish enough that we have it down. Its just a nice trick, I got my license 4 months ago, went out a few weeks before opener and practiced backing in the boat at an empty launch a few times, got it down pat, so on the opener all i had to do was get out, push it off, tie it to the dock, go park and then hop in.

The one that gets me is people who leave there boat empty and then go back and forth from the truck and load everything. C'mon have some sence, load the boat before hand, have it in working order, hop in and turn the key, ( or in my case, pull the cord grin.gif )

Rogue..

This worked for me too in the beginning but what was real helpful was the old man taken me to kmart after it closed and having back around the parking lot for a while A little practice will do wonders for the confidence

I agree with ya too.. I always keep my mouth shut and acess the situation before offering help And I do not have a problem with people taken there time to get it in but get it in and go or move out of the way is more of what I think every one wants..For me it is more about the guys that launch the boat them put all the stuff in it.. Then (no kidding) leave it on the dock so no one else can launch and walk over to the bathroom to take care of business before moving the boat(I have actually seen a guy do this) There are ways to speed the process up and this process is not just backing the truck up that is only one facet of it..How about while waitinf in line to launch get out and uncover and unstrap the boat dont wait till you are on the launch ...Put the poles coolers life jackets in before it is moored to the dock. I have no problem waiting while someboby lifts his 3 kids in but why not put the life jackets on while waiting in line instead of after everythimg is ready to go I am not asking people to fly in and fly out just take care of the easy thing... Common sense thing but that might be asking alot I guess

What drives me nuts is when someone is in front of you unloading their boat, they get it in and then hold it on the dock right in the way so you can't back yours in. All you have to do is have one guy in the truck, one in the boat. Guy in the boat back away from the dock so everyone else can get in. If you're by yourself beach it on shore or at least out of the way so everyone else can get in. It make a guy mad when you have someone blocking waiting for their buddy to walk back from the truck which is half a mile away. mad.gif

For those of you who have problems backing in, especially just the trailer when loading the boat up after fishing, try letting the tailgate down so you can see the trailer through the back window. Some guys can use just mirrors but some shouldnt. It also gives you a nice place to stand or step onto from the dock.

A couple of my observations...

1. Clueless people with no common sense bother me the most ie; loading the boat on the launch ramp, screwing around and just being in the way of people who just want to load/unload, bother me most.

2. They are indeed clueless, and 98% don't know or realize that they are this way. And in general, you can help most of these people, but that only makes you wait shorter for the day ( which is good ) but these people will resume the same slow nonsense at a later day anyways.

3. They come out in flocks on weekend and holidays and frequent the nice days.

4. Are never to be found on the rainy wet days that are not weather wise pefect.

5. Weekdays are your saving grace, if you have the time or option fish weekdays, you'll cut the number of clueless people to a very small number, or you can fish different water, plenty of lakes out there that get much less attention, and offer great fishing, off the beaten path.

6. These people will either figure it out eventually ( though rare) or will not have a boat for long or not use it much in the long run.

7. Paintence, paintence, paitence, you'll get on the water, you'll get off the water, relax, getting mad and yelling at them is not going to do anything but piss them off. Meanwhile turn the radio up and enjoy the show.