• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hats off to Jesse Crain

SledNeck

The guy can pitch. 5-0 .076 era. Opponents ba .166! Wouldnt It be great if he was a starter (byebye Kyle)? How about making him the closer. I have lost all faith in Joe Nathan, he is obviously rattled or somehow injured. And J.C. Romero makes me nervous...probably not as nervous as the catchers who have to block his balls in the dirt or snag em over their heads.

We really have something here with Mr.Crain, hes a superstar picther in the works. Last performance vs. the Yankees was awesome.

I agree, Crain has been wonderful this year and most of last. He is a stud and has closer potential. shocked.gif He's probably our best set-up man right now. Rincon is good too though.

That being said, there isn't anyone in MLB I would rather have out there in the 9th than Joe Nathan.

What is it with you guys? Everytime something goes bad, people are calling for these guys' heads. Every player goes through a bad stretch, Joe will come out of it and regain his form as the best closer in the AL.

I'm with Willy here. A little too quick to pull the plug on guys around this forum I think.

Crain has been awesome filling the role that Balfour vacated, but we've got the best closer in the game. No reason to panic now.

Also, I don't think it's any easy assumption that Crain can start. He's a power pitcher who would very likely have problems the second time through an order. Plus, he's never been a starter. In fact, he was a shortstop until his junior year in college when he played as a shortstop and relief pitcher.

Additionally, I would argue that Crain is much more valuable as the set-up man used every other day versus a starter who pitches only once every five games.

Crain is doing an awesome job at being a setup man, but lets not kid ourselfs saying Nathan shouldn't be closin. Nathan didn't give up a run forever and he is still the best closer in the AL with Rivera and Rodrigez. Closers have to have a closer mentality and Crain right now will do just fine as a setup man. And a setup man is just as important as the closer, that is what holds the twins leads or lets them stay close enough for their comebacks.

You havent noticed that Nathan has been having seriously uncharacteristic problems locating pitches in his last few outings? I just dont get the feeling the game is over when Nathan gets in there....kind reminds me of that one dude that pitched "everyday". Not saying that he wont snap out of it, but lets just say Im very concerned.

Okay I agree with Willy but I also see what Sledneck see's and it has made me a bit nervous lately as well.... hopefully just a spell.... probably one put on him from a guy in Chi-town. grin.gif

Hey Pig,

You may want to check the stats on a guy named Hermanson who plays a little closer in the Windy City. I think his stats may hold up to the aforementioned players. Just askin!

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Windy, his stats might be good, but every team in the league would take Nathan over him. Crain would get many votes as well.

P.S. I'd be curious to see what the sox staff would be like if they didn't have A.J. helping them along. He's brought everything the twins do pitching-wise over to the sox and it has your staff looking pretty good.

And yes, I have noticed Nathan not being his normal self but I just don't want to give up on him. He has unreal stuff and usually his comand and confidence is very good. He'll be fine. And if he isn't, well between Crain and Rincon I don't think you could find any 2 better replacements.

yeah didnt mr hermanson blow a save the other night against cleveland? i beleive it was a wild throw on a bunt,

and he is a few saves behind Joe Nathan.

If you want some more useless stats, the Twins are also leading the entire league in ERA.

hermanson w/l record maybe better and his ERA is a little lower, but I would take Nathan over hermanson any day

Windy - Didn't Hermanson walk 2 batters in a row and then contribute an error to the Sox loss the other day?? Case closed - he is not even close to Nathan's league - please don't kid yourself. I'm thinking you better get use to the idea of being a wild card............

FI

I admit Nathan has made me a bit nervous lately - but I'm not concerned it's something that will drag on. Every closer has a spell where they struggle for a bit. He's a lanky guy, and sometimes their mechanics will get off kilter for a couple days.

Plus, I think the seventh and eighth innings are just as important as the ninth. If you fall apart then, you don't even have a chance for a save. So really, we've got our most dominant pitcher (currently) in exactly the right spot. Now if we could get healthy ...

confused.gif What is the problem. Our entire staff rules. If you don't like Nathan, think back to the days of "heart attack Eddie." grin.gif

Or what about the Latroy "the walk" Hawkins. He had trouble with bunts also!

Or we could go way back ... Anybody remember a guy named Ron Davis? Watching that guy try to save a game was pure agony. We've had some tough times at that position - evidenced by the fact that Joe Nathan - in his second year in the role - is eighth all time in the Twins record-book.

RD was definitely worth a migraine every time he stepped on the mound. It was like death warmed over when I would see him sulk out of the pen and slowly walk to the mound, practically guarenteeing a blown save for us and a win on a platter for the other team. I did cartwheels when we finally dumped him!

I agree Sled- Lohse is pitching much better, but Romero needs another attitude adjustment in AAA. Worked when they sent him down before. Put Crain in Romeros spot. He has been dy-no-mite! Practically unhittable.

Yep- Nathan will be fine. Remember RD? Nathan has only blown a few. He isn't God. He will bounce back..

All you guys are making my point. Hermanson was perfect until his last two outings. Until then he had not even given up a run and he is still 13 for 13 in save conversions. You guys might be just a little jumpy and I can understand that with your past relief men, I am still laughing at how much the Cubbies doled out for LaToilet, what a bust, same with everyday Eddie. So Nathan has a few bad outings, like Hermanson, they will both probably snap back and as for Crain. He has not been put to the test yet as a closer. It's a lot different coming in the 6th or 7th than the 9th. Kind of like the anchor bowler on a bowling team. The lead off guy can strike, your second or third guy can strike but then it gets down to your anchor and he HAS to strike. Let's see what Crain can do in the 9th with bases full and nobody out nursing a 1 run lead. That's where the "cujones" come into play. Anyway, I'll keep Hermanson and you keep Nathan, since I don't think any of us are their agents and I don't think either team owner is crusing this thread. Just thought that Dustin deserved to be in the mix here.

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Quote:

It's a lot different coming in the 6th or 7th than the 9th.

It may be for some people but for me it was always about the situation and not the inning. Let me start the 9th with no one on and a 1 run lead and I am a lot happier that coming into the 7th with the bases loaded and a 4 run lead.

Quote:

Let's see what Crain can do in the 9th with bases full and nobody out nursing a 1 run lead. That's where the "cujones" come into play.

Did you not understand what started this thread? He came in with the go ahead run at the plate, 2 men on, one run in and nobody out and shut them down. I'd say he showed the "cujones" right there.

Quote:

as for Crain. He has not been put to the test yet as a closer. It's a lot different coming in the 6th or 7th than the 9th. Kind of like the anchor bowler on a bowling team. The lead off guy can strike, your second or third guy can strike but then it gets down to your anchor and he HAS to strike. Let's see what Crain can do in the 9th with bases full and nobody out nursing a 1 run lead. That's where the "cujones" come into play. Anyway, I'll keep Hermanson and you keep Nathan,

yeah we will keep crain too, when you talk about being put to the test and weak 3rd man, were you refering to your takatsu? 0-2 with an ERA well over 6

"Hermie" is having a nice season. But over his career he has been marginal. I'll agree closer can be a huge pressure spot, but closers usually at least get a clean slate to work with.