• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis Bay ice fishing

I'm a veteran ice angler but new to Duluth/Superior. I'd like to ice fish St. Louis Bay (I hear the ice is thick enough now to walk out). But I'd like a little info about access and a couple spots, if possible. I'll be walking out (no snowmobile) and pulling my Fish Trap II from the Superior side. I hear that there are decent catches of perch, walleye, northern and crappie to be had in the bay. I've heard there are a couple places to walk out from Billings Drive. True? Are there other places as well? I'm not asking anyone to give away their hot spots, just give me general info about what depths to try and where roughly to go for an evening walleye bite. Would also like to throw out a tip-up for pike while fishing for perch/crappie/walleye during the day. Sure wouldn't mind a little help.

stfcatfish,

There are numerous places to get on the river, or bay, if you prefer. At the end of 28th street, there's a landing, not improved. There's no dock or anything, but there's a parking area there. You could also go on at what I call the Belknap landing. That's the city landing that has the boat ramp, and the fishing pier. If you go over to the Duluth side, you can get on at the Boy Scout landing, or the campground landing, but, that would be if you were fishing up higher. Stop by and see the guys at the bait box on Highway 2, east end, and get yourself some kind of map. You can look for crappies in Kimballs bay, along with some of the other smaller bays on the Superior side. You can also get northerns, and some perch, right in the 28th street bay, right off that access point. It's going to be pretty tough though, if you are walking, it's a pretty big body of water. A sled, or wheeler of some sort would be the best way to go. I live in Superior, and may be able to help you out with transportation. Send me an e-mail if you want, the addy is:

[email protected]

Set the hook!!

Lundman

Hey Lundman, or anyone else:

While I'm thinking of it, is there any kind of Web site like this one for Wisconsin ice fishing? With all the cool lakes in the northern part of the state, it'd be nice to find reliable fishing reports online, as well as a chat forum.