• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie opener on Minnetonka

How did everyone do on muskie opening day? I made it out for about 2.5 hours early sat. morning. I had 3 follows (one BIG girl that was upper 40's easy) and a 27" pike. All follows were on bucktails. Then I went to the St. Croix by Harris with my brother Mitch, where I did pretty good on smallies; one each 15" 16" 17" and 18", and some smaller ones as well. I smoked my brother, which is what he usually does to me! All in all a fun day cool.gif.

I landed one on a chartruese buzzbait on my honeyhole that always produces something. Other than that it was a slow morning and got to be very wet ... This fish had been through other battles, it was very nicked up! I got off the lake around 12:30

DSCF0015.JPG

I went out sunday afternoon from 2-7. Had 7 follows but 4 were under 30 inches. also had two hits and a pike.

got wet and blown around but at least i wasnt sunk by all the party boats.

Nice fish Mike! I can't wait to get out there and chuck some wood myself. grin.gif

Hmmmm that background looks very familiar laugh.gif The fish might still have been beat up from spawning. Nice to catch one. I didn't get out to chase skies around. Family in town and took the little guys out for panfish.

I feel stupid asking this question, but I have read people talking about muskies being beat up from the spawn at a couple of places.. so What do muskies do to themselves that they get so beat up spawning?

Buzzsaw....

I caught some pike after opener that had the same type of damage on them. They looked like open sores, after the first one was caught, I thought it looked like a lamprey had took a big gouge out of it. Four of the five pike I caught had these types of open sores on them. I was thinking that it was some sort of fish disease, anybody else see some pike or muskies this year with similar damage in the metro area????

I got a 16" Small mouth the other night on WBL that had the same type of open sore. About the size of a quater. The other side of the fish looked like it had been through a lawn mower. Had a bunch of scales missing no particular order. Goofy.

I didn't realize they got THAT beat up when spawning! WOW!! mark & matt, e-mail me at home and tell me where you think I am and I'll tell you for certain... It ALWAYS produces!!! not always muskies but something decent.

Buzz I know exactly where you were. I've caught a 48" and 47" in that area and some nice walleyes too. The spot is on my milk run. As for spawning fish tend to use their heads and mouths to chase away rivals and in the actual spawning (look ma no hands!) You should see how messed up sharks can get. If bluegills had teeth the little males would just be shredded.

Buzz- I also fish that area frequently, fished that area tonite and east of there had 4 follows no hookups though.The owner of one of the homes in the background of your photo got me started Ski fishin by giving me some of his gear. If I would have only known what I was getting into laugh.gif

My friend and I got out last night and had three follows. He landed one that went 44 inches. The fish hit a black suick. We were lucky to land it because the fish was hooked in the eye ball. I am new to the whole muskie fishing thing, but it has been great so far and I am finally starting to get a little milk run together on tonka.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.