• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie opener on Minnetonka

I think I might head out to Minnetonka for the muskie opener. Is enyone else heading out there. They say the next state record will come out of that lake. I herd that a guy caught a 67 incher out of there a couple of weeks ago but thats probally not true. What is everyones favorite kind of lure to use, and what kind of rods do you like im thinking of buying a new one.

I'll probably be out there on Muskie opener as well or the week after at the very least. I'm a topwater bait kind of guy.... anything where you can see the fish make a big splash is always fun! I'm sure Tonka holds some huge 'Ski's, not so certain if the lakes record will come out of there however... if I were to say where I thought the record would come from i'd guess 1. Mille Lacs 2. Leech lake 3. Cass lake/Winni (tie).

The state record is there(as well as the lakes Buzzsaw mentioned) but not likely to be caught. I have seen a couple of fish that would have had a chance on Tonka but they were just follows. Muskies that size are pretty well conditioned to the stuff we throw at them. As for lures bucktails and big spinnerbaits. Black or brown hair with orange or gold blades or just plain white are good choices. Later in the year you will want to add jerkbaits like Suicks or Reef Hawgs and some topwaters. Jackpots and Top Raiders are the usual choices. Get a 7ft rod medium heavy and spool up with Power Pro braid. I prefer St Croix but the Gander guide series are good rods and less $$$. Check out the musky forum on this site for more ideas. Musky nuts tend to own dozens of lures and have their own favorites.

I will definately be out on Minnetonaka for the Muskie opener. I can't wait... I plan on getting the file out and getting my muskie baits ready to go this weekend. As for that state record comment... I dont know if I agree with that. I am a newbie to muskie fishing, but all that I have read and heard from different people is that Mille Lacs is by far the premier muskie fishery in the state and the next state record will probably come from there, but you never know and this is just my opinion. As for a 67 incher coming out of tonka... I think someone is pulling your chain there.

Anyway, I am done giving my insignificant opinion. Good luck to everyone on June 4th.

ps. my bait of choice will be the lilly tail.

take care

cupper

Yeah, 67" is a little far fetched. I can guarantee the state record swims in that lake as I had it hooked briefly once. For the most part though 36-46" fish are what to expect.

I'll be up on Red lake chasing crappies for muskie opener. I won't be able to hit Tonka until the following week. Save a fish or two for me. laugh.gif

My b-day is right around the muskie opener...what a great opportunity to hit up the wife for the muskie net I always wanted. Hoping to scoop something big up on opener grin.gifcool.gifsmile.gif!

Calvinist,

Great job with that 28" eye the other week!! We should hit the lake together again sometime. Let me know if you're interested ([email protected])

Tonkaboy, you had the mother of all muskies on for a short time ya say? Without saying location tell us the story... time of year, lure, how long you had it on etc...

Sure thing Cupper. And maybe this time we'll get a ski or two in the boat! It sure was cool watching that big ski chase the bucktail ala figure 8, huh?

Looks like I can just wet a line off my dock and get a 46" fish come opener. She's been hanging there all week but of course come Sat AM she'll be long gone. I'll be out there - Tonka Boy knows exactly where and what I'll be throwing because unlike last year these fish are mine!! I'm not saving any for him if I can help it. I think he got me by six or seven fish last year. Spent the weekend sharpening hooks, checking lures and lines and changing leaders. I am set to go.

Buzz,

9/13/03 (I love my log book!), working a Jackpot. It was a fishy day as I had already caught a 47" and had 9 real good follows prior. I was casting a underwater weed flat solo when that big girl hit. I had her on for maybe 10-12 seconds before she jumped, threw her head from side to side, and sent my lure back at me. The very next cast she followed up to the boat and sat there for me to look at. I'd guess 60" easy, if not a few more inches + FAT. Needless to say she didn't take a swipe at my figure 8 and slowly swam off.

I've seen quite a few in the 50" range, but this one had to beat the record in my mind. Last year I was broken off in this same spot for the first time. Could it be? If only I find her again...

If tonka boy's last post doesn't get you fired up for musky season, then you need to find a new hobbie!!!

Tonka Boy I hope to meet a fish near that size someday!! Good story!! We'll have to hook up again soon... that includes Calvanist and Mark Stanley. I'll be out at about 5:00 AM this saturday til noon, whatcha doing?

just a hint 125 bass boats buzzing the lake all day sat

minnetonka bass classic

I just don't understand a 125 boat tournament on an opener for another species. Wish there was another way. I think there is enough water though. Last year Waconia was a joke, Muskie opener was the same time as two tournaments, I tried to just avoid all of that.

Buzz,

I'm heading up to URL for some slab fishing shortly here. We'll be up through Sunday so I likely won't be tossing any muskie baits until next week. I guess we didn't think about muskie opener when we set this trip up. confused.gif

Oh well, if you're up for it next week sometime shoot me a mail. Mark and I are planning on fishing Indy next week also. I can't wait!!

Psssst Buzz...the one up at URL is Matt wink.gif Hey, I'll probably make it out to the west end on saturday morning for muskies, but boy, the whole green carp tournement on Tonka has frustrated my plans for a quiet muskie openermad.gif. Since the walleyes aren't exactly on fire on Tonka, I might as well go after some pannies on Sarah. Yum!

Oops! I meant Mark! I should know since we exchange e-mails and it has his name right on it! grin.gif I guess I was subliminally thinking of our friend Mr. Stanley. I'll shoot you an e-mail with my cell # if you wanna chat on Saturday and see how one another is doing. I'll be out at 5:40 starting at Goose island (all species tourney) and fishing over near Enchanted Island/Halsteads area.... atleast until I need to move somewhere else. shocked.gif

Here's some good info guys.

Transitions are what to look for - milfoil to sand, milfoil to coontail, etc. It's like clockwork, he says. But any combination of broadleaf cabbage and milfoil shoots to the top of the charts.

How deep to fish is a matter of debate.

Some position the boat in 11 or 12 feet and cast inside, "But there are guys who consistently catch fish in 2 and 3 feet of water. Other guys stick in 20 feet of water and deeper. If a spot looks good, it probably is. So fish it."

Weedier sections from Lafayette Bay east to Grays Bay, especially the greenery in Wayzata Bay. Other locations to consider are Spirit Island, Brackett's Point, Little Horseshoe Reef, Ferguson's Point, Cedar Point and Diamond Reef.

Tactically, Minnetonka lends itself to myriad presentations. But forced to choose, don't leave the landing without his beloved Poe's Jackpot topwater and Phantom gliding jerkbait.

P.S. Those are NOT my note's!!! They are from Matt Thompson of Thorne Bros... he shares alot of info!

125 boat tourney? Hmm...

Do you really think grays bay landing will be all full by 5:30? I've seen that place packed but never have seen it full.

Hope its not full... cant get out there till 6:30.

Buzz,

I believe I'll be out in the wee hours tomorrow morning. I'll probably work the weededge in Priests right off the landing, or, work Phelp's. 16' red Lowe (older) with 35 horse Johnson. I plan on getting off the lake by 8am because I want to avoid the million boats that will be there! Then I am heading to the St. Croix for some nice and quiet fishing time with my brother up the river from the Sunrise/Rush city area. Wallys and smallys.

Good luck,

Quote:

What is everyones favorite kind of lure to use, and what kind of rods do you like im thinking of buying a new one.

Waltinader - Good luck on tonka. I'll be headed to Waconia myself. There's some big fish to be had there as well but likely not the same caliber as tonka. As for rods, I've used both St. Croix and Allstar - I like them both. If your in the market for a good rod, we should talk. I'm looking to rid myself of one of my St. Croix rods. Let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, good luck tomorrow morning!

I'll look for you Calvanist! you know what boat I'll be in.. ( ;

Is there a certain technique for getting the Muskie's to bite on tonka. Last year every time I went out I would have numerous fish follow to the boat, but they wouldn't bite. I would figure 8, switch lures, etc. I couldn't get them in the boat. It is very exciting to have the follows, I just want to take some pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:

What is the length and price of the st. croix?

E-mail me at waschwab1 at excite dot com for more info. (this is not the sales page, don't want any troubs grin.gif)