• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm looking at hitting up Burntside on Sunday or Monday. I've never been up there and am wondering if anyone could help me out with camping locations. Any on the north eastern part of the lake, say near dead river or any of the islands. I'll be in a 14' aluminum by myself, so having camp close to deeper water would be nice. Just need somewhere to put up a tent and cook a meal. Hopefully someone can help me out and keep me on public land. If posting is not preferred, please email me at [email protected] Any tips for this time of year are also more than welcome.

Thanks,

Eric

Campsites in the BWCAW style are located at some locations on Burntside, as are public land sites. In the Twin Lakes up the dead river ( careful navagation ) there are 2 BWCAW style sites. Meaning Fire grate & Biffy. Several brand of lake maps will show them.

Have fun on that beauty of a lake!

-CLoma

Thanks Casaloma! Yeah, I don't need a BWCAW style site or anything,but thanks for the heads up about the sites on the maps. I'll check them out. Anyone camped on any of the islands?

I don't know of camp sites near the Dead on Burntside.

There are a couple nice sites along the North Arm, which is a good deep-water fishing part of the lake, with lots of points and reefs, sunken islands and holes to 100 feet.

They are easy to find from the lake, because they both overlook it. One is on an eastern point looking west over the big bay (bay is easy to see on the map). The other is a bit further down the arm toward the main lake, and sits on a nice rock shelf on the west shore of the arm.

I'm not sure whether there are biffies at either site, since all I've done to this point is troll on by them a million times. From the Arm to the Dead isn't a long boat ride, and there are enough islands and rock reefs in between to give you some shelter from wind and wave.

There's also School Section bay which is nice and the big island on the North Arm has two sites. Enjoy!

I'll second the school section bay and the Twin Lakes sites. Haven't ever seen the ones on North Arm. It a nice (slow)cruise up the dead river and the site I'm thinking about is on East Twin (go straight), on the east shoreline about 3/4 of the way down.

The north arm sites are exposed to the wind. The one up at the end of school section is very sheltered.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Have any of you been out on the lake lately? Any advice on depth for lakers this time of year? I'm thinking starting around 40-50ft? I assume they have started moving deeper? Thanks again for the camping info. It does not sound like finding a spot will be a problem laugh.gif

I live in Deer River, but this applies to your question. I caught 2 lakers this past Thursday on Caribou Lake, north of Grand Rapids. They weren't that big, 17" and 19", but they sure smacked the crankbait hard. I'm guessing the water temps were in the mid 40's on this lake, 100+ foot depth and extremely clear water. I caught these fish trolling a Rebel D20 black/silver crankbait about 15-18' down in 20-40' of water. I bought a trolling bible with alot of good info on particular crankbait running depths etc. It's a wise investment for sure. I also trolled smelt on a inline spinner with using 1 oz and 2 oz snap weights, but no luck. I hope this helps.

While trolling, I saw a teen aged kid use the rope swing by the landing and sure enough in the lake he went. He screamed so loud, I thought he got impaled on a stick! He got out real quick and stood on shore hunched over for a good 5 minutes. I could not believe he took the plunge!

Brian

a little late for ya, but I have stayed at the north arm sites, and they are close to laker land. there are no biffies thou.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.