• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Finally............

cyberamish

NFL Owners Approve Sale of Vikings

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer

24 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - NFL owners on Wednesday unanimously approved the $600 million sale of the Minnesota Vikings to a group led by New Jersey shopping mall magnate Zygmunt Wilf.

Wilf was given to go-ahead to purchase the team from Red McCombs, with the closing date expected to take place in June.

Wilf immediately pledged to work to build a new stadium to replace the Metrodome, but he vowed that the team will stay in Minnesota.

"To me, this is not a matter of economics. This is a matter of passion. I've always been a strong NFC fan," said Wilf, a lifelong supporter of the New York Giants. "We will be in the Minneapolis area forever. Look, I'm not changing that at all. We will do our best to make sure that we get the best venue and right location."

Wilf recently assumed the role of general partner of the ownership group after concerns were raised over whether Arizona businessman Reggie Fowler had the finances to be the lead owner. Fowler, who would have been the NFL's first black majority owner, remains an active part of the group, which also includes Wilf's brother Mark, cousin Leonard and East Coast real estate businessmen Alan Landis and David Mandelbaum.

McCombs has owned the team since 1998.

Wilf, 55, is the son of Holocaust survivors whose family business is among the largest owners of shopping centers in North America. He said he plans to use his real estate business acumen to move forward on a plan for a new stadium, preferably an outdoor venue that will re-establish a home field weather advantage.

"I'm a strong believer in an open venue. From the standpoint of the franchise, I think that it is a good advantage to have some of the other teams come up to our nice, warm Minnesota winters," he said facetiously, "so they can enjoy playing football up where it hurts - a la Green Bay."

Wilf said he is already in negotiations with various land owners for possible stadium sites, and he said that public financing will be "part of the formula to be able to get this done." The Vikings have been trying to get the state legislature to support a new stadium for several years without success.

Wilf said he will eventually establish a residence in Minnesota, but he does not plan to move there permanently. He said he was still "trying to catch up to speed" on the Vikings operations and was vague when asked whether he would be a high-profile or hands-on owner.

"I don't know about high-profile, but I hope to be an effective leader," he said.

This is good. Without Red messing up the works, we WILL win a superbowl pretty quick. Tice better "get er done" this year or these guys will spend more than the lowest head coach pay in the league and get someone who will!!!!

Quote:

Tice better "get er done" this year or these guys will spend more than the lowest head coach pay in the league and get someone who will!!!!

You make a good point with that statement. I think Vikings fans will learn two things this season.

1. Is Mike Tice really a NFL coach? In years past you could scapegoat Red in saying he wouldn't spend the money to win. This year they have and Tice shouldn't have any excuses.

2. Is Culpepper really a good QB, or was he just the product of having Randy Moss to throw to. If he takes the leadership role of the offense and keeps them in line the Vikings should be dangerous this year.

Tice is an (Contact US Regarding This Word) and does not deserve that job but Red didn't want to spend so hopefully Ziggy makes his first big deal and fires Mike Tice. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

concur with BOTH your points Down To Earth. In fact I have made that same inquiry about Culpepper in other discussions. Great minds think alike I guess...OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT laugh.gif

How can you guys even question C-pep? He probably had his best year last year and Moss really didn't play much. Oh yeah, our O-line was in shambles as well and our D couldn't stop anyone. C-pep is one of the best, if not the best QB in the league.

You mean the guy who can't win the big game? He's great in the regular season, but he didn't throw 1 td when they were knocked out of the playoffs. If I were to take any qb over C-pep it would be Brady.

Now remember, you would take Peyton over Culpepper with a great offensive line to compliment him, otherwise Manning would be about as effective as Spergyn Winn.(maybe a tad better)

Peyton you mean the next marino yeah he can break records but when it comes time to perform he chokes i Guarantee Peyton Manning will never win a super bowl You know the joke The Vikings will win one when He** freezes over well it's gonna have to be a lot colder than that when Manning wins one

It is hard to name a team that could beat the vikes this year on paper. Now they just have to prove it in the games.

Culpepper has been slowly getting smarter. He is the most talented QB in the league but his brains just have to improve alittle more. The O-line does need alittle help but they are close to leading the league in rushing every year so it isn't terrible for the run game.

Hold on, Peyton Manning vs. Dante Culpepper? Manning is by far one of the SMARTEST QB's in the game. Culpepper just has an arm. I'd take Peyton over Brady and Culpepper. One of the only QB's to call plays on the line of scrimmage. Team him up with Starvin' Marvin and the Edge on the ground, I'm willing to bet that they win a super bowl within the next 2 years.

I think it depends on what you are wanting in a QB. If you are looking for a pure drop back passer, looking to make quick reads and get the ball out I'd have to go with Manning. However, if you don't have a strong line and your are expecting your QB to scramble a bit, make throws on the run and make something out of a busted play, then I think I would lean more towards Culpepper.

• 2 weeks later...

Farley, he has been teamed up with Edge & Marvin for the last 3 or 4 years, and alas, no Superbowl. Please dont say that Culpepper just has an arm when he completes almost 70% of his passes. You have to be able to see the field to do that.

Quote:

Farley, he has been teamed up with Edge & Marvin for the last 3 or 4 years, and alas, no Superbowl.

Yes, but that surely wasn't the offense's fault. The Colts have had a defense comparable to ours and that ain't good. Peyton is far and away the best QB in the league. Just because he can't win a superbowl by himself doesn't mean he isn't the best at his position. Superbowls are TEAM accomplishments and Brady has been on the best team. Daunte he's good, but he's not quite up there with Peyton.

I think you also have to look at who he is completing his passes to. I did an ballpark comparison of last years numbers and figured Manning completed just under 70% of his passes to a WR compared to Culpepper who was at just under 50%. I watch quite a few Viking games and a lot of times Culpepper is doing a little scramble or shaking off the tackler and dumping it off to the RB or TE. If you just compare the ability to drop back and hit the receiver, I have to agree with Lawdog and give the advantage to Manning.

Quote:

Farley, he has been teamed up with Edge & Marvin for the last 3 or 4 years, and alas, no Superbowl.

I am a vikes fan through and through, but Culpepper does not have a ring either and he was throwing to the best reciever in the leauge. But maybee some of that is the coaches fault too. How many times could we have scored when we really needed it if we would have just bombed it to Moss? Culpepper defenitly has an arm, but Manning is smarter.

I do not think there is a coach in the league that would would take Culpepper before Peyton Manning.

Manning is many times the better QB.

Muskybuck, I agree Manning is better... but not as much as you may think IMO. Rank the top 5 QB's in the league based on there abilities right now.

This is great Buzzsaw, its only June and already we are having a top 5 QB comparison. I love it. To me though a top 5 is tough as I think its basically a top 4 and then a bunch of others who you could debate to be at 5 depending on what you look at when you rank players and/or who your favorite teams or least favorite teams are. But I'll start off this ranking discussion with a surprise #1 QB.

1. Tom Brady- True he doesn't put up the guady QB numbers as a few others, but he has passed for no less than 3300 yards the past 3 seasons with mid 20's TDs and low interception numbers. Plus he's won 3 Super Bowls. Has good numbers and knows how to win.

2. Peyton Manning- Puts up great numbers, but hard to tell if he is just a product of the system, etc. Put him on another team and you wonder how he'd do. I'd guess pretty good.

3. Donavan McNabb- Excellent record and good stats and a team leader.

4. Duante Culpepper- This could be the year we see just how good Culpepper is. It will be his team on offense.

5. I really don't think there is a real clear cut #5, but instead a bunch of guys who could be here. In no particular order I'd include:

Vick, Favre, T. Green, Bulger, Delhomme

If they can continue to progress and show consistency I'd start putting the names of Brees, Palmer, Roesthlisberger, and E. Manning in the group of #5 as well.

I came across some most recent QB analysis, so I guess I will need to tweek my ratings a bit. One through three stays the same, I should have realized that K. Collins needs to be at #4 and then Culpepper at #5. All the other guys I listed then fall back to #6.

Raiders: Moss says Collins is better than Daunte

THE NEWS

Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss knows who'll be throwing him the ball now, and he had plenty of positive things to say about his new quarterback during his recent interview with ESPN. "When it comes to athleticism, [Vikings quarterback] Daunte [Culpepper] has [Raiders quarterback] Kerry [Collins] beat," Moss said on "SportsCenter." "But Kerry has pocket presence and knows how to read defenses. So Kerry has a slight step over Daunte."

I watched the interview and I think the printed version is a little misleading. It seemed like Randy didn't want to say anything bad about his new quarterback so he threw in a bit about Kerry being a better pocket passer but I never got the impression that he actually thought Collins was better overall than Daunte.

Down To Earth - I agree with your original top 4 but then you list the guys fighting for #5 and you list E. Manning!!! Eli Manning to this point he has not shown much for the up side besides his age and who his brother/dad are!!! But then again who was protecting him and who was he throwing the ball to!!!

ozzie,

No argument here with your view. As I said I wouldn't put him in the mix, yet but I think the potential is there where 2-4 years down the line you could make an argument for him. Will be interesting to see how he progresses this year.

One name I thought of after the fact also is M. Hasselback. I'd put his in the list of names for the #5 spot.

i was just wondering how you could put eli manning up there along with a few others while leaving ben rothlesburger out of the mix. although he kind of fell apart in the playoffs, the consistancy he showed in the regular season and way he always figured out how to win a game by any means necessary should put this kid up there as well.

"If they can continue to progress and show consistency I'd start putting the names of Brees, Palmer, tongue.gif Roesthlisberger tongue.gif, and E. Manning in the group of #5 as well"

Can't you read?

Offensive line and a good defense make many a quarterback look GREAT!

I agree with buzzsaw it was great last yr everytime he was looking right and got nailed from the left without seeing it comming what a baby I bet he wishes he was on the chargers now but his daddy didnt want him too hopefully he is the next "ryan leaf" or "brett favre" grin.gif