• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Blowing fuses in Jeep....

Rip_Some_Lip

Question

I have been blowing fuses on my wifes Jeep Liberty as of late. It happens when I pull my boat with the headlights on. They work fine all the way to the lake in the daylight. They work fine for about 2 to 3 miles down the road with the headlights on in the dark. Then it blows a fuse which is for the drivers side tailight and front parking light. When the fuse blows, I lose the trailer's tail lights. I have had to drive it home with the 4 way flashers on, oh yes the blinkers and break lights still work. I checked the connections and the wire I could see without pulling it all out and it looked good. Any advise would be appreciated!

7 answers to this question

I'm assuming that you have the factory trailer light setup. My jeep has a power converter in the setup but I would suspect you would lose all the lights if you didn't have one. Beyond that you have a short in the trailer wiring to the taillights. These can be hard to find. Most likely it is where there is some rubbing and the insulation is gone. Best bet is to replace the entire wire to the taillights. Easier than trying to trace the short and replace a short area of wire. If that doesn't work look for one of the light fixtures to be bad from corrosion causing a short. Good luck.

My jeep had to have the power converter also.. like a little booster box. I assume yours has this, if the newer models require it.

A short, or a lose connection somewhere is probably your problem.. I suppose it could be the ground with poor contact causing constant power surges.

If all else fails, you can switch over to LED lights on your trailer.. tail, and clearance lights. The LED lights draw way less power, and might lighten the load up enough to end the fuse problem.

Make sure your connections are clean, and your ground is good.

I would see what amp size the fuse is and if it's only a 10 or 15 amp one you could boost it up to a 15 or 20 amp one. You would still be protected from burning the wiring harness so don't worry. If it's already a 25 amp one and it's blowing then you have a short somewhere.

Best of luck

Unless you plan on voiding any vehicle warranty you may have or worse yet starting the vehicle on fire DO NOT REPLACE ANY FUSE WITH A HIGHER AMPERAGE FUSE. Fuses are not only ment to protect the devices on the cicuit but the wires that also run through the ciurcuit. To much amperage on a small wire is a recipe for a potential disaster.

Same thing happened to me and it was a wire inside of the trailer frame. You are going to have to pull the wires out and replace them. Just tie new wires to the old ones and pull them through as you pull out the old ones. The insulation does chafe off and short out. Not that bad of job and it sure beats running with flashers.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will replace everything and put in some LED lights. I was thinking of it anyway with the luck I have with trailer lights.

Mine was doing this a year after I had my hitch done, have a 93 truck. Found out after redoing everything that the trailer wires looked good. I installed a plug-in harness instead of the patched wires and redid the ground to the truck frame which looked very suspicious. It worked so I would say my problem was in the ground to the truck or the harness connection to the trailer plug-in.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.