• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well we should be heading up in about 11 days. June 4t through the 11th. If you want send me an email at [email protected] with a phone number or and email address that I can send you my cell phone number. It would be nice to meet you and have a beer or two, maybe even wet a line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

When is your early trip this year? Jeanne and I will be up late on the 11th and stay thru the 19th of June. Maybe we'll see you.

FiveBucks,

If all goes as planned Chris and I will be there the 11th through the 17th. We were hoping you and Jeanne would be there at that time.

This year we are overnighting in Bemidji on the 10th due to the Fireman's convention and lack of accomodations in Grand Rapids. That will make for a longer drive, 660 miles, on Friday. I expect we'll be pretty tired by the time we arrive.

I need to find a new place to pick up leeches and crawlers. I've heard good things about Taber's in Bemidji and will probably give them a try.

I wonder how Tyho's been doing this week? Hope he left a few for us.

See you soon,

Indiana Mike

I thought you and Chris might be up at this time. Good! We look forward to seeing you.

well we had alot of rain. The fishing was tough on Island. We did catch a few to eat. But most were in the slot and were put back. Our other favorite lakes were not hitting very well either. We did how ever have a good time at October Ridge, this was the first year for the family and they all had a good time. But the fishing was down for us this year. I hope Mike does better than we did.

Well our week on Island lake began on Saturday 6/11 with partly cloudy skies and pleasant temperatures. However the rains returned in the afternoon and didn't end until Wednesday morning. The fishing was tough all week. When we did get out between the showers we found the fish to be few and far between. We did catch (and release) numerous Smallmouth Bass, the largest weighing about three pounds. We caught our limit of Northern Pike up to 24" and released my personal best on Island Lake at 31". We looked long and hard for the Perch but only brought in about 15 keepers for the two of us. There are zillions of 3" perch out there stealing what ever live bait we used.

After the rains finally quit the weather turned bluebird clear with calm to variable winds and temps in the mid to upper 70's. The bottom was easily visibly down to about 10'. Aside from the Northern and Smallmouth it was nearly impossible the catch anything outside the early morning or late evening hours. We did our best after 8:30 each evening.

Many thanks to Fivebucks for putting me on a few walleye. We did bring home three good eaters just short of 17". They accounted for more than half the walleye caught at the resort the entire week. Chris and I both enjoyed our short visit with Mark, Jeanne and Jack at their beautiful cabin in the woods.

Tyho, activities on Saturday prevented getting together as I had hoped and by the time we were settled in it was too late in the evening. It sounds like your week was much the same as ours. I'm glad October Ridge worked out for you. Hope we can try agin another time.

While I wouldn't exactly call Island Lake the Dead Sea I do believe the lake is in an extended period of transition. Northern Pike seem to have increased in population and size. Smallmouth Bass have really established a growing population. The Perch are regenerating after a huge spawn in 2004. It remains to be seen as to what the new slot on Walleye will produce. I'll be back at the end of August for another try.

Indiana Mike

We had the exact weather that Mike had, of course we were up the same week. The fishing was on the tough side. The first few days only the northerns were being caught by me. About mid-week I was able to zero in on the 17-20' depth and would pick up some eyes. I wouldn't get much in numbers, maybe 1-3 fish per day but they were some nice fish between 16-20" (good thing there were a few at 16" so we could eat some with a new 17-26" protected slot). The routine was to keep trying different spots until finding some active fish, most mornings I would hit 4-5 spots. Leeches worked the best for me.

Mike, it was good to see you and Chris. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. We'll let you know if we'll be up there during your August trip.