• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm going to be spending several weekends this summer on Vermillion. I'm really excited to try musky fishing, but having never done it before, I'll take any advice on bait/color combo's to get started with. Thanks!

Although I have yet to fish vermillion, however I do have several general muskie tips. The best imes of the year are the hottest days of the summer and late fall. When the water temperature gets real warm, it seems to raise the metabolism of the muskie and they go on the feed. My favorite technique is to high speed troll during this time with bucktails. Thay way you can cover alot of water to find the active fish. I like to go as fast as possible while keeping my spinner under water. Also don't let out too much line, it is alot easyier to get a good hook set with 40 ft out than 100ft of line behind the boat. Be sure to use proper muskie equipent for this, 6'6'' to 7'6'' heavy baitcaster with 50lb no strech line. Last year we cuaght most of the fish off red or black bucktails. Red/white super shad rap also caught some very big fish. Try to get up there in late fall and you will be plesently surprised. Last halloween, we boated four muskies up to 46''.

Good luck

Be persistant

Although trolling is good in the fall on the Big V, it's not really very effective here during the summer months. You also miss out on the follows and the blowups, that you see when casting to the fish. It may be less work than casting however it just isn't as much fun. smirk.gif

Bright or contrasting colors, work best for me up here. Jailbird, black/silver, black/white, orange

and black and black/chart are some of my faves. I also like firetiger, because it works everywhere you fish, white on white, white/silver and white and red are all good colors for the Big V. grin.gif

"Ace" cool.gif