• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's bowhunting turkeys?

Bogsucker

Who's hunting tomorrow with there sticks and strings? I'll be (hopefully) sticking a zwickey 4 blade through a gobbler about 6:00 tomorrow morning! I'll post pics (hopefully) Anyone else?

Good luck Bogsucker, I'll be out bright and early myself. Stick a longbeard and then off to Mille for some walleye. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

One of my buddies is bowhunting. I just don't have the confidence to nail one yet. After I get one more turkey under my belt, I might give it a try.

I did not get drawn this year so I am going to go out with my bow. First time I have tried with a bow - I'll get some pictures up if I get lucky.

I tried on the 4th of May - didn't guestimate the distance correctly and missed just low. Thankfully the 12ga was sitting right next to me, a couple yelps froze the birds and I dropped him as soon as the bead was on his noggin. Got a second tag for the last season here in WI, will try again. Darn nice bird too, wish I coulda got him with the bow.

I am heading out saturday morning and have a few different spots with the birds still active I should have a great time. Good luck to all and lets hear some stories wink.gifwink.gif

Finally got drawn this year!! Was my first crack at a gobbler and decided to give it a whirl with my Longbow!! Got him the first morning. Was one of my most memorable hunts!! Would post a pic, but can't figure out how!!!!!

How did everyone do?? I had plenty of action but saturday with the rain no turkey's came out in the field. The five year old lasted until 8 when the heavy stuff started coming down. This morning the birds we not so active as yesterday at least right away I didn't hear my first gobble until 6:30 am. Then he came up right behind me but would not come out of the woods they were still with hens so that makes it alittle hard. It was hard for him to pass up the real thing to come out and take a look at the dekes. Good luck to every one else!!!

No pics yet. I missed 3 shots at two gobblers this morning. Back to the range for more practice I guess.

I had to hurry up and shoot mine so I could get to Mille for the opener last weekend. I had a jake come in about 20 minutes after fly down. Went out to a hen in the feild who ignored him so he came to my hen decoy. Got him good, but had a little chase on my hands. All in all, first turkey with a bow and very exciting. He's just a jake, but I'll take if for bow hunting. grin.gif

Well this morning was a blast. Scouted last night and had four different gobblers going this morning before fly down. I called hard because they were alittle ways out. Around 5:45 I caught the glimps of one walking down the trail. My son who is six was taking alittle nap as the gobbler strolled up to the decoys. The first arrow went underneath him. The second I have no idea and the third I though would for sure hit home well I only ended up cutting some feathers off the bird and he strolled out of range after that. The six year old said we are going to have to do this again next year. He said he gets to shoot first next time and I would have to agree!! smile.gifsmile.gif

Wally:

Nice pics!!!

Merriams? Can't tell for sure from the color.

Thanks,

Joel

Jnelson,

Yes on the Merriams..........at least mostly merriams.

The oringinal releases in this area were merriams. However a release of Easterns was done in 1990 prox 20 miles from this ranch so there are a number of "muts" or hybrids running around the area. The darker color of the eastern is genetically dominant so there are a number of "muts". I've killed pure looking Easterns as well as pure looking Merriams in the area.

This bird I whacked on April 15 this year, it carries the more eastern looking characteristics.

Turkey2005088.jpg

WD

Wally:

I was wondering! From your first pics, I almost said Rio? The tips of the tailfeathers looked a little off of the buff color that most merriams have.

I hunt in KS and it's always fun when you don't know which subspecies (or hybrid) could come in. Out there its Rios or Easterns though.

Looks like you have yourself quite a spot there in ID. Congrats on the birds....glad to have you!!!

Joel

Jnel,

We actually have all three sub-species here in Idaho.

My 12 year old daughter harvested this fine "pure" Rio last spring just 20 minutes west of Boise.

Emmys_first_gobbler_with_gun_4_24_04.jpg

Emmys_first_gobbler_by_silo_4_24_04.jpg

Emmys_first_gobbler_4_24_04.jpg