• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hot Lake Superior tips welcome here!

Hey guys,

I lurk around on this site occasionaly and you always provide pretty useful info.

Anyway I thought I would post up and see if someone could help me out for this weekend. I will be staying at Barkers Island with my wife and two kids this weekend and decided to bring my boat. I would really appreciate some tips on maybe how or where to get into some eyes or some salmon on the big lake. I have a big enough boat for the lake with a marine band, but I do not have any downriggers. Maybe some decent areas I could take the kids bobber fishing???????? I appreciate any help any of you could give me. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone this opener!

Bobber fishing on Lake Superior wouldnt do ya much good. Pull some boards and sticks on the Wi. South Shore and you should hook into some eyes, Cohos and Lakers. Fasttracks, Bombers, shad raps, Daves Kabooms, Nitro Shiners, hot n tots and Smithwicks will get ya what ya want.

I would troll the 40 to 15' area. Just go out the Superior entry and go to your right and start trolling. Im sure someone else will pipe in here as well.

Dukhunter,

Let me pipe in by saying welcome to fishing Minnesota. I would guess you already know this but it doesn't hurt to remind people to make sure you bring along or buy your Wisconsin lisc. for the south shore. Great lakes trout stamp also. Are you set up with any Dipsey divers (sp). They should get your spoons down far enough for going after coho. I'm sure others will have much better info then myself.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Dukhunter, will you be at Barkers on Fri? if so I would be more then welcome to stop by and give ya some info that might help ya out. I only live a couple of miles from there. let me know

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Along with the proper liscense and stamps for either Mn or Wi waters you'll need additional mandatory equipment in your boat for Lake Superior. A horn, flares, 150'of anchor rope and 6' of chain and of coarse and anchor depending on boat lenght, you should check the boating regs for Superior.

The marine radio is a good idea along with a compass and GPS.

Notrhlander named some good stickbaits and you'll need at least a couple sets of in-line planner boards to get them spread out and away from the boat. Surface temps are critical now, thats your structure on the big lake. This weekend your going to be looking for the warmest water on top you can find and when you find it fish it. Look for the thread on Superior fishing reports for info on whats working out there and where. As far as eyes in Superior it probably a little early yet so I'd concentrate on trout and salmon.

I could go on and on but if you use the search you can find a lot of old posts that go into detail on how to fish the lake.

Thanks for the insite guys....I almost forgot about a WI license. I am assuming I can buy a daily license or weekly??

Outdoorran- I don't know when exactly we will be getting up there, but I apprecitate the offer.

I have a busy couple nights ahead of me to get things prepared and some electronics hooked up in my boat.

Anybody want to give up their honey hole????? shocked.gif

Just like a newby, huh?

laugh.gif

If you don't have the equipment to get down deeper (riggers, dispy's, etc.) you could try an inline weight (swiveles on each end) 3/8 o.z. or 1/2 o.z. I tied a few on my flat lines w/ a lead a foot shorter than the rod it is on. I usually run this down the chute or out on the planer w/ a long stretch. If you run this with a diver you starting to get down a quite a bit deeper than the typical flat line. This time of the year that should be deep enough to muster up a few fish.

Best of luck to you and your family!

You can buy a two day WI license and G.L. Stamp for $14 bucks. As for honey holes, like S.T. said, look for the temp breaks and fish'em.

S.T. the eyes are already out there. I would guess people will start catching them out there this weekend. The fish are already spawned and down past the bridges so we should start hitting them on the lake any day. Weather depending of course. Ill probably poke my head out there Thurs or Friday if its nice.

grin.gifYeah, I just wish it was duck season. I had to go with the recardo spelling and I now know why. How about some Lake Superior duck hunting???? Does anyone do it?

confused.gif

dukhunter, go to the waterfowl forum and check out my layout boat.

That is pretty sweet! I must say though it takes a set between your legs to venture out on Superior in that little thing! When I use a boat it's only a 12 footer and with my dog and A LOT of deeks it gets a little scetchy at times escpecially if I throw the blind on it, not to mention if another guy goes with me. It's too bad you can't use layout boats in MN. There are plenty of big lakes that the diver hunting would be very good on if you could. I'll have to check out the waterfowl forum a little more, I guess I didn't even realize there was one on here.