• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener on Whitefish

Kind of in a dillema here, just found out that my dad's buddy wants us to come up to his place this year for opener on the Whitefish Chain, I have never fished the lake this early and want to still make it a successful opener... Just wondering if anyone more familiar with the lake could give me some advice on a general place or pattern I could try for some walleyes... I've fished the Pine River inlet to Upper Whitefish with limited success, is this a decent opener location? Thank you a ton for any help! I just want to shake off this uncertainity I have with fishing this new body of water, thanx again and good luck!!

Iv had no trouble finding walleyes on whitefish. I like to slip bobber or lindy-rig during the day and troll husky jerks in the evning to night. I have also caught walleyes slip bobbering at night. Iv done best on whitefish and Island lake for walleyes. Just find some good looking walleye structure and you will find walleyes. The one time i fished whitefish the week of opener i found the walleyes in 7-16 feet. If you troll try fire-tiger, iv slayed the walleyes on whitefish with a fire tiger husky jerk.

Rooster,

I'm not looking for any hot spots, but when you found eyes on Island lake, were they in the similar depths as whitefish (7-16)? I'll be up there Saturday evening-Tuesday afternoon chasing eyes.

Thanks

Yea same depths, on island i found them on the weedlines. Post a report when you get back.

As cold as the water is, you should still be able to pick some up in the channels and river mouths. That's where I would start if it were me.

Thanks alot for the replys!! I have a little more confidence coming in now to the weekend, hope I can get into a couple fish! I'll be starting at the Pine River I think, hope it isn't too crowded , I suppose I'll move out and jig some sunken islands or something... I suppose u can just follow any of the tons of boats out there huh? smile.gif Naw, I avoid the crowds when I can... Good luck and we'll see ya on the lake!

I will also be opening on Whitefish, be it a day late. I will be starting early Sunday and fishing thru Monday night. Anyone that sees a Maroon Lund with the FM Logos and Stickers, stop and say Hi. Maybe we can compare notes and help each other out smile.gif