• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Javon Walker (lets follow this holdout)

buzzsaw

ESPN had a Q/A with John Clayton today and here is what he said:

Mike (Madison, WI): Is Javon Walker serious about holding out for a new caontract with the Pack and how long can he sit before he hurts the team. He is a budding star in GB.

John Clayton: (2:32 PM ET ) Javon is going to hold out and it's going to be ugly if he does. The Packers don't appear to be ready to budge. They didn't last year on Mike McKenzie. The only difference is that they won't trade Walker. He's too valuable.

This could be fun to watch...

Walker's new agent is Rosenhaus (the same one that has Terrell Owens holding his hand out) this guy is really something mad.gif

My only hope is he dosn't represent any Vikings players, the man is pure greed.

Back to topic, Go ahead and sit the year Walker your fans will really apriciate it grin.gif

I read on ESPN the other day as well that Coach Sherman basically said they need to move on and that some of the veterans and rookies (can't remember names) had great camps.

I don't understand how guys can be happy with the contracts they get. They have a few great, productive years and then aren't happy with the money they are making. WHO are they trying to fool??

I'm not ready to make a big deal out of this yet as we are only in mini camps. Will be interesting to see how it plays out once camp begins and the preseason is underway.

Unfortunately it appears this is the direction the NFL is headed. Its actually getting a bit old. Not sure why these players are all of a sudden deciding that they shouldn't be held accountable to the contract they sign, especially after 1 break out season. If they continue to put up the numbers through out their contract, they will get rewarded in the end. If not, then it just shows you the season was a fluke.

I'll be surprised if after this collective bargaining agreement is up they will have something worked out, and don't end up with either a lock out or a strike. Do these players and owners think we can't live without their sport? Seemed to me life went on without a hockey season. I'm sure it will be no different for football.

Thoughts from Favre on Walker situation. Pretty good article.

Posted May 03, 2005

Favre upset with Walker

Javon Walker is holding out, trying to get a more lucrative contract. Quarterback Brett Favre isn’t happy that his Pro Bowl receiver has decided to do so.

Brett Favre isn’t sure whether Javon Walker cares what he thinks of his receiver’s holdout, but just in case, the Green Bay Packers’ quarterback made it clear.

“If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I’d tell him he’s going about this the wrong way,” Favre said. “When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I’d tell him I’ve been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you.”

Favre, 35, expressed his disappointment with Walker during a telephone interview from his Hattiesburg, Miss., home. He said he was upset when he heard Walker intended to sit out the season if the Packers don’t renegotiate his contract.

Walker, the Packers’ first-round draft pick in 2002, has two years remaining on his existing deal. He is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006. Walker had a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He played in his first Pro Bowl in February.

“I would’ve never thought it would be a guy like Javon,” Favre said. “I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don’t.”

Favre said Walker’s holdout reminded him of Sterling Sharpe’s decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Vikings in the 1994 season opener.

“Nowadays you’re seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt,” he said. “If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I’ll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon’s situation was ‘Here we go again.’

“Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky’s the limit for that guy, and I’d be the first to defend him, but he’s going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, ‘Let’s work as a team to see if we can get this done?’ Why not go about it that way?

“Maybe I’m old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it’s a lesser player, but it’s all based on what a team has as far as value in that person.”

Favre left no doubt as to how he thinks the Packers should handle the situation.

“I sure hope the Packers don’t give in to him,” he said. “I don’t sit up in the front office, and I don’t talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don’t ask me, and it’s not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

“That’s why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said.”

Favre was excused from the team’s post-NFL draft minicamp. He heard of Walker’s decision to hold out on Thursday evening. He said Walker might be wise to go to General Manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.

“Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?” he said. “If Javon does what he’s supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he’s paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn’t complaining two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don’t even think twice about what they’re paying you.”

If Walker’s stance doesn’t change, Favre said, “I’d just as soon go without him. He’s a great player. I think he can help us. He’s likeable and easy to get along with, but I’m guessing he’s getting the wrong advice, and he’s buying into that.

“I just don’t see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he’s not in, I think it’ll start bothering him, and he’ll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you.

“We’ve got guys who’ll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him.”

I'd say thats a great article DTE!!! As a die hard Viking fan I can honestly tell you guys thats another reason or maybe one of the biggest reasons I admire Brett Favre!! The man has it figured out all the way around! He has fun playing the game (Like Twins fans see in there squad)

he is a warrior! Now if he could only shake Madden. tongue.gif

I agree. I may want to see Farve fall on his face, only because as he goes, the Pack goes, but I respect his words on the Walker situation. It is only the jersey and the media lust for the guy that keeps him from being a favorite of mine.

Not looking too good for the pack, things are starting to tumble.

The way the NFL runs you sometimes wonder why they don't just sign only one year contracts. If a player is being overpaid their contracts are voided and they are released if a player feels he is "underpaid" then they just don't show up and pout until they get their way kinda of bs IMO...

I think the media lust is because he is one of greatest quarterbacks (football players) to ever to play the game. Pretty hard to deny that.

3 time MVP, the playing streak, no diamond necklaces, no contract hold outs, no quitting with 30 seconds to go. He was hooked on prescription pain killers and managed to kick that. Used to drink too much and managed to control that. Was a little wild when younger, managed to outgrow that. Does not walk around with a swagger and think himself better than you or I. Wears a baseball cap and a T shirt in front of the world.

The media loves him for being what and who he is (a regular guy) and when he is gone its going to be a long, long time before anyone can fill his shoes. Not just in Green Bay, or in football, but all of sports. The color of his uniform has nothing to do with who he is and the media repects him for that. I would rather see the media liking Brett Favre instead of Al Micheals on his knees worshipping the diamond studded Neon Deon like he used to do.

When Brett Favre hangs it up, the NFL and the fans of the NFL lose.

Oh yeah I forgot, and maybe the Vikes can win the division!!!

Quote:

I think the media lust is because he is one of greatest quarterbacks (football players) to ever to play the game. Pretty hard to deny that.

3 time MVP, the playing streak, no diamond necklaces, no contract hold outs, no quitting with 30 seconds to go. He was hooked on prescription pain killers and managed to kick that. Used to drink too much and managed to control that. Was a little wild when younger, managed to outgrow that. Does not walk around with a swagger and think himself better than you or I. Wears a baseball cap and a T shirt in front of the world.

The media loves him for being what and who he is (a regular guy) and when he is gone its going to be a long, long time before anyone can fill his shoes. Not just in Green Bay, or in football, but all of sports. The color of his uniform has nothing to do with who he is and the media repects him for that. I would rather see the media liking Brett Favre instead of Al Micheals on his knees worshipping the diamond studded Neon Deon like he used to do.

When Brett Favre hangs it up, the NFL and the fans of the NFL lose.

Oh yeah I forgot, and maybe the Vikes can win the division!!!

I think this is the first time I agree with everything you've said, in the football forum.

Expecialy the part about the VIKINGS winning the division grin.gif

I agree with most of Muskybuck's statement also but take issue with one thing. I don't think he should be admired for wearing a t-shirt and hat while forgoing the diamonds. I think it should be for being who he is and nothing more or less. The reason I state that is the era and player coming up now is different. Being old school,true to yourself and team is a attitude not a fashion. Kevin Garnett wears two giant diamonds in his ears but I think he should be admired for many of the same reasons. Same with Daunte and his "ice". Different backgrounds and different eras but the attitudes in the games they play are very similar.

Well said Muskybuck!! I agree with the fella above! Very well written!

Thanks guys.

You will not hear a bad word from me about the class act Kevin Garnett, and that's a fact. No matter how many diamonds he wears.

Now if he runs over in front of a camera and starts doing that cheerleader arm rolling thing I've seen elsewear, can't remember where, I might reconsider.

No problem on the promises ther Musky. I will also ask to him to never do a lap around the court in front of every camera with the arm in the air telling everyone he is number one. grin.gif

Why should anyone care? This person cannot be trusted!!! If you cannot be trusted, what good are you? The man gave his WORD; that he would do a job for a certain amount of money for a given period of time! Has he been talking to T.O.? Even in my life-time , there was a time where a contract could be finalized with a handshake, and you did not have to have a pen, a firm of 25 lawyers, half a forest made into paper, and pledge you first born child to make the deal.

Everyone have a great opener, and be safe out there!!!!!!

The question I have with these players why are they signing these contract's if they are not living up to them?? Like the other post said sign a 1 year deal. My opinion, if you sign the contract and you threaten to hold out and you do you should not get 1 dime of the money and somehow have to pay a certain percentage back of your signing bonus, but I know that will never happen.

Usually I think the same way but in the NFL it is not a 2 way street. If a team does sign you to a big contract and some rookie steps up and plays almost as good they can just up and cut you in the middle of your contract and you are SOL. If the player signs a guaranteed contract then they should be honoring that contract but it seems like most of the contracts are not guaranteed. I guess I think they should honor it either way but I can kinda understand where a player is coming from if they don't have a guaranteed contract but there are better ways of dealing with it then holding out.

They only thing guarenteed in an NFL contract is the signing bonus.

Piketipper, I can see your argument in it not being a 2 way street in the NFL, but it is how the collective bargaining agreement is written in the owners and the players. The way for them to deal with is not by holding out, but working out deals to benenfit themselves better in the next agreement. So in that sense, the players agreed to the current system and have no one but themselves to blame

• 2 weeks later...

If c's were garunteed you would see guys get big money and then dog it. getting all fat

I agree with mosts of the posts on this topic. IMO if you leave out the fact that these guys make a ton of money, there is a slight amount of logic that you can grant to their actions. Again no contract is guaranteed in the NFL and at anytime you can be released. This means you need to max your salary when you are at the top of your game. However most of these guys jump right to the hold out situation. I think you can blame some of the agents for this mentality.

One think to think about is your own work situation. Most of us can quit our job with our current employer at anytime. On the flip side many of us have "at-will" employment where you can be released, laid off or fired at any time. The NFL is different. The player cannot leave their current employer for greener pastures until their contract is over BUT their employer can release them at any time. A little different world. However when you factor in the $$$ they make I don't have much simpathy for them.

Just my thoughts.

WG

Quote:

One think to think about is your own work situation. Most of us can quit our job with our current employer at anytime. On the flip side many of us have "at-will" employment where you can be released, laid off or fired at any time. The NFL is different. The player cannot leave their current employer for greener pastures until their contract is over BUT their employer can release them at any time. A little different world. However when you factor in the $$$ they make I don't have much simpathy for them.

Just my thoughts.

WG

If you look at it from that point of view you would be correct. However, I would make the case that the player isn't employed by their team, they are employed by the NFL. So in that scope they do in fact have a choice where they can work. They can go to the CFL or they can go to the AFL. Also nobody is forcing them to be pro football players. There are plenty of other professions for them to choose.

And when you look at from that point of view they are not all that different than other employers. Example, I work at the Mayo Clinic and within the department I work when a person is hired they are sign a 2 year commitment to the lab they are hired. This does not prevent them from going to another hospital to get a job, however, during that 2 year time, they are not allowed to seek out another job within the clinic.

I'm sorry, but when I hear athletes not honoring contracts, etc, I tend to side with the owners.

• 1 month later...

Despite his earlier suggestions he might not play at all in 2005 without a new contract, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker on Wednesday night reported to training camp and is ready to participate in all workouts, ESPN.com has learned.

Javon Walker

Wide Receiver

Green Bay Packers

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

89 1382 12 15.5 79 348

It was not immediately clear how the conflict between Walker and the Packers was resolved, although sources confirmed there have been conversations the past few days between Green Bay vice president Andrew Brandt and agent Drew Rosenhaus.

Walker's contract, which has two seasons remaining at base salaries of $515,000 for 2005 and $650,000 in 2006, has not been altered.

It is believed that, while the Packers remain firm in their negotiating stance, they will not upgrade the contract, there will at least be some dialogue in the near future. It is also believed the team forgave at least a portion of the fines Walker accrued when he failed to attend the Packers' mandatory minicamp.

Walker, 26, had reiterated as recently as two weeks ago he would sit out camp, and possibly the entire season, until his contract grievances were addressed. And last week, Rosenhaus said he "could not fathom" allowing his client to report under his current deal. Clearly, there was some sort of move that broke through Walker's intransigence.

At one point in the offseason, even Packers quarterback Brett Favre joined the fray, openly criticizing Walker and Rosenhaus.

Earlier Wednesday, several team shareholders urged general manager Ted Thompson and team chairman Bob Harlan not to acquiesce in the Walker standoff. Following the stockholders' meeting, the Green Bay officials were inundated with questions concerning Walker's demands for a new contract or a trade.

Said Thompson: "Things like this happen in professional sports. It's just the nature of the business. It doesn't mean he's a bad person. He's a good kid. We hope that he is here for a long time."

A three-year veteran, and the Packers' first-round choice in the 2002 draft, Walker posted a breakout season in 2004, with 89 receptions for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. For his career, he has 153 catches for 2,417 yards and 22 touchdowns in 47 games.

Well now, thats 0 for 2 for Rosenhaus. Firts TO reporting and now Walker, neither with a new contract. Maybe they sould fire him tongue.gif