• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Truck tranny question

kevfish

Question

A year ago my tranny went out in my 98 dodge ram. For about 6 months prior to it going out i noticed that when i had the cruise on- the truck would slow down a few mph every once in a while. After i had the tranny rebuilt i noticed that it did not do this anymore. Now i am again noticing the same thing. Is this a sign of the tranny slipping or something?

13 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I think you have a vacuum leak or a goofy sensor somewhere.

Is it going in and out of Overdrive ? Did you service transmission and adjusted bands ?

It is not going in and out of OD. Yhe truck speed just slows down when on cruise. I cannot feel the tranny slipping but since it did this the last time the tranny went out I am thinking it may be slipping and after 6 months may go out again- unless it is a problem with the cruise itself- but after it was rebuilt the last time it quit doing this????

This sounds all too familiar... when you had your trans rebuilt, did they do anything in regards to the torque converter? The reason I ask is that these transmissions have a lock up type converter. Sometimes when this lock-up is delayed, for what ever reason, and if you set the cruise before this lock-up happens, the motor will be drawn down by the converter locking up and slow the vehicle a few mph. For me, this was an indication the my T/C must close to failure.

A quick way to check for this lock-up is to speed up normally to highway speeds... 55mph minimum. After holding a constant speed for a while, without using the cruise control, keep enough pressure on the gas pedal to maintain your speed and with the other foot, slightly depress the brake. This will "unlock" the T/C. If you have a tach, you should see a rise in RPM of about a 200 to 300. If not, listen for the motor to gain a bit of speed. Release the brake, while still keeping your speed constant, and your engine speed should drop by the same amount. Indicating your T/C has locked up again.

With my 97, my T/C would unlock and not lock back up again. Basically driving as if I had the O/D off without hitting the button. From the time I first noticed the problem, I got about 500 miles of use before my trans and T/C went south...

With every function of these newer vehicles being controlled electronically, it's hard to tell exactly what's happening... For all we know it could be your muffler bearings needing lube....

Good luck on your diagnosis.... Hope it all works out...

I can tell that the overdrive is staying on. Also the speed does not drop right away. sometimes 15 minutes after setting it. The speed will just gadually drop 3-8 mph

Not sure where you live or the year truck. Best tranny shop in the midwest is Goerend Bros. St. Lucas,Iowa. ph. # 563-778-2719. You can find all kinds of reading on Dodge trans. At DTR. A web site about Dodge diesel pickups but the trans. are somewhat the same!!Just go to "google" and type in TDR. Turbo Diesel Tec. Dodge has had their share of trans. problems!! Goerends has a web site but do not answer e-mail very often. Too busy to monitor site. Calling is best. They work on all brands! jps

I stand for Goerend also, not as one of the best of the midwest but as one of the best of the whole country.

The 3 big names for transmissions are Goerend, Suncoast, and DTT, on your truck you have a 46RE transmission (electronic) call Ddave he'll be able to help you out.

Next rebuild try them, 36 months/unlimited miles unlimited HP, and it's not a joke.

Kevfish, You havent had very good luck with that truck have you. I am still waiting for my trany to go.

kevfish-how many miles on your 98 ram?

I had the same problem when I had a tranny rebuilt on my Dakota. Brought it back to the repair shop and it was my speed sensor that had to be replaced. I knew this problem sounded familiar so I checked my records and this is what I came up with.

I had the exact same problem on my old truck. It was just a vacume line. You should get that checked first before anything else. My father is a mechanic and thinks thats what it sounds like as well. My truck would go for a few minutes, sometimes an hour before it started slowing, but it wasn't like totally dropping off the gas, more like slowly letting off the gas. Is this what yours is doing?

If so, It may be the vacume line?

Kevfish Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?