• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ROCKMANS REPORT

ROCKMAN’S REPORT

What a year it has been. It is already time for the state fair and all the kids to go back to school. The leaves are already turning and the winds of change are soon to be upon us. With all of the weird weather this season the walleye bite has been on and off, but there is still a bite going. Raps are the way to go for now. That is unless you want to chase down those toothy critters that we call pike and musky. They are biting very well. You can spend the day with them, and pull shad raps at night for the walleyes along the shoreline or on any of the rock reefs in 4 to 7 ft. of water. The water temps are at 6o degrees as of Monday. Not that you cant catch a few walleyes during the day, but it is slow. The bobber bite has been hit and miss. Normally at this time of the year we would be fishing them at night any way, but in deeper water over mud or muck. They don’t seem to be there this year, or they are feeding later then 1:30 am. The full moon was out this weekend and it seemed to help the night bite a bit under bobbers. The guys that were pulling shads definitely caught more fish. I am looking forward to the full moon phase in Sept. and Oct., which is my time of the year. There was a rumor around this weekend about a 63-in. state record musky that was caught last week. I have not been able to find out if that is true or not, but I will and I will let you know the particulars of that rumor when I here more. If any one has heard more than just a rumor let me know. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Scott Gordon, no relation to Jeff Gordon. But he and his friends are champions in my book, for all of the booze they were able to put down this weekend and still keep their heads up every morning after partying so hard. Also showing respect for the other campers at the resort, and not being the group from hell that often times accompanies the booze. I like to refer to them as "Scott & Friends". You guys are great and we are always happy to have you. Ted on the other hand was not able to hang on to his lunch day one but did rally day 2 and 3 to recover from his butt crack sandwich and hang in their with the rest of the group on Friday and Saturday. Great job by Super Brad yeaha. For all of the info on those specialty drinks that he directed me to make so they could hammer them down all weekend long. They hold the title for the largest bar bill yet at the Rock, $460.00 and the largest tips too. Thanks again Scott for a great group of friends and a great weekend. Next time we will put the fishing first. I will be ready to take you out and do some real fishing.

That is it for now at the Rock

As always

Stay safe

We will see ya when we see ya

Rockman

Someone sent me an email of a pretty big muskie caught up there. 52 pounder. where do we post this???

Hey Rockman,

What is the pattern(s) of choice and general areas for hunting the Northerns and Muskie?

Bringing a small group up to the south end for the day next Thursday. Hoping to get in on a little Northern action with a chance at hooking a big 'ski.

Kind of been following the progress of your new venture here on the board. Sounds like we should stop in for a beverage and burger when we stop fishing.

Thanks

IceAge

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.