• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gene Miller

mudman

yes, back in 2000
He is a troller only on the north shore, we went out for 6 hours and got a 42" & 50"er though so..........

The "POSTMASTER" is the BEST! He annualy guided between 12 and 50 under priveleged kids from a youth org., some friends and I worked with. One year we ended up with 5 or 6 Large pike and 2 muskies. One year we caught 1 big walleye, another we caught 1 45" muskie, and another we caught a doz. or so walleyes. Gene is a fantastic guide espesialy if you have a group of any type. You won't find a more personable guide this side of Woody's F. R. G. S. on Rainy. Give him a try! Oh, I should mention, we never spent more than 3 hours at a shot on the water with him. P.S. When they let him fish Muskie tournaments on the lake, he wins by FEET, not inches.

I ran into Gene 2 weeks ago at Barnacles. They were having a lunch break. He had 2 skis released by noon that day. It was raining and rough too. He does only troll if that is a problem. I heard Tim Ajax is also a good guide on the lake.

Lab

Thanks for the input. Trolling is something I haven't tried, I think I'll give Gene a call.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Gene is definitely a good guy and a good guide!

Rick

Tell Gene I said hello please.

Ditto! Tell him the old "GEM Club " guys say Hi too. I wish I was going with!

Thank you to those that posted the nice replies. We boated 10 muskies on Saturday all released and swam away healthy. And on Sunday I had a 17 year old girl boat a 54 plus monster along with a 45 and 47 inch. It should be in the local papers and Outdoornews. I have a 50 inch rule on my boat and promote reproductions with Fibertech in Brainerd. This fish was ready to harvest and she is making a glass coffee table with the muskie chasing a slot walleye and the walleye chasing a small perch with rock and weeds. It was an awesome week-end. Thank you again for the nice responses as I am getting disgusted with the jealous guides who make false statements about me. A true sign of a champion is one who overcomes adversity and I am determined. I do not consider myself a success until I net the next state record.

Muskieman aka "Postmaster"? They try... But you just can't argue with success! And you are successful! Jelousy ain't pretty. Keep us posted weekly, (or at least when you can) on the big ones you catch. Hope you have a very good end of the year.

I will never forget what Joe Fellegy once told me. I told him they were saying all kind of bad things about me and all of them were not true and asked him how can I get them to stop saying it. He replied that I should want them to say bad things. My immediate reaction was "NO I DON'T"! He said "YES YOU DO! That means you are catching fish! If no one says bad things about you, you aren't catching fish!" Lesson learned by the greatest ever that guided this tremendous fishery.

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 08-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 08-24-2004).]

WOW GENE!! 54" What was the girth?
this is not the mudman you think it is, I used to work at Hunters and we talked quit a bit.

What a horse! Keep putting up numbers like that and I offer you my first born for a trip!

Congradulations!

MuskieMan Gene, how can you tell the fish was ready to be harvested? did it die on the way in? did her father tell her to keep it?
would it not release? did it just look too old to put back in the water?
how can you tell when a fish is ready to be harvested? was it fouled hooked in the gills with no chance of releasing it?
tomcat

I am sure alot of people are going to be jumping on this because the fish was kept. I believe ,wether or not it was ready to be harvested, it is the person who caught its right to keep it or release it. I would have to admit i would have to think about it.

------------------
Why did'nt Noah swat those two mosquitos?

Gary

Yesterday was my annual "Take a grandma" fishing. 88 year old Irene Long of Isle caught 3 muskies (41,43,39) and a 41 inch northern. Kathy Munkelwitz of Isle caught a 52 inch muskie. We boated 7 muskies and 6 big northern. We had 2 fish on at the same time and you could hear the grandma's screaming for miles. What a blast! We had the Aikin Independant Age ride along.

Great job muskieman. Sounds like you are doing an outstanding job getting people onto the fish. Keep up the great work.

This morning a 11 year old caught a 45" muskie and this evening a 9 year old caught a 43" muskie. The kids had a blast, looks like they are going to bite their tongues off! The 9 year old counted the days to fish 2 weeks ago, his dad told me he barely slept all night so excited to catch a muskie. Both fish swam away very healthy.

If a client catches a 50 inch muskie I do not have a problem with them harvesting the fish. I promote reproductions, but leave that decision to the client.In 1986 the DNR stocked 10,000 muskies, they are now 18 years old and measure 54 inches. There are a ton of them. It is a fish of a lifetime for those that rarely muskie fish and taking a few is not hurting the fishery. The 17 year old in Outdoornews this week let her father make the decision. The DNR came on boat last year and we shared alot of good information about the history of stocking, growth, muskie travel patterns, spawning, etc. There is no doubt in my mind that someday Mille Lacs could produce the new worlds record of 70 pounds.

Muskyman

Keep on doing what you are doing. And thanks for your support of fishfaces charitable group.

I never was able to make the trip with the group and regret it. Seeing a big musky would be great, and on the end of a kids line would be real rewarding. Thanks.

MM, 3 Things; 1)What's your Biggest boated, to date? (Inches and estimated lbs., and or weighed lbs.) 2) What is the biggest ,(estimated inches and lbs.) that you've either hooked or seen? 3) I think you'll get it. The world record that is!

The biggest netted on my boat came the same year Terry Blood Of McQuoid's Inn got his with Terry McQuoid. It was 54" and had a mouth that was big enough for a full grown duck. I didn't weigh it but, it had to be close to 50 pounds. We were pulling lines as lightning was striking the ground in Garrison and it was chaos. There is a picture of it at Castaway's. The biggest On the hook looked too big for my giant net. It opened the splitrings that hold the hook and the lure came in hookless. We had it within 3 feet of the net. No doubt it was a record. 7 year old Matt Angel of Lindstrom Mn caught a muskie with me yesterday. We netted 4 with the biggest 50". Muskie fishing will really slow down as the wind has switched from the NW. Fish a little deeper. The bite should start to return late Sunday and it looks like excellent fishing Tuesday and Wednesday.

Muskieman-
Do you have a website or some information on your guide service for a possible interested client? Thanks.

I fished on Genes boat Wendsday evening
with my 9 year old son, he is the one who caught the 43" fish. He was so excited not only before the trip, but thats all he talks about since.

I have known Gene since he started taking people fishing and was on some of his first trips. It's been quite sometime since I have been out with him and I have to tell you I was
really impressed with not only his knowledge of the lake, and the history of the stocking program, but his overall charm and humor.

I was also very impressed by the care he took in handeling the fish and making sure the most important thing of all was that the fish was released unharmed.

Gene, I think you are a great role model for
the children, and thanks again for another memorable fishing experience.

Rick

fishface,

Man, you are jonesing to go musky fishing, aren't ya. Don't you be calling in sick to work this week!

No, I don't have a website, and never will. I have 53 bookings for 2005. Now why would I have a website? We did very well for poor conditions this weekend, biggest today was 49 inches. We boated 3 today and lost 4. This week is looking alot better with the jetstream moving north except Monday,.

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 08-29-2004).]

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 08-29-2004).]

Here comes the heat. Hang on to your poles! I saw the picture of the 17 y/o's 54"er. Good job MM!

MM, Any new reports? I sure wish I could get up there! What did this rain do to the bite?

The bite continues to be very strong. We netted 3 this evening and lost 1. I had a crew that had never seen big fish and they got 1 over 50" and 2 45 inchers. The bite on Friday should be very good and then slow down for the tourist and week-enders on Saturday and Sunday with the North wind. I am headed for Lake Vermillion to fish for the money. The One and Only and the legend "Sweet Music" is my partner in the $100,000 tournament starting Wednesday. We should have a great time even if we net no fish. Open bar at Castaway's if we win a week from Sunday! We are going in blind as we are so booked we have no window to pre-fish. All we need is to be is 30th place Friday to qualify for 1st on Sunday. Life is good living on Mille Lacs and fishing everyday! Lots of big fish moving in and feasting before winter. The metabolism of the muskies is rising fast and they are are feeding better everyday. The warm sand retains heat and warm water allows them to digest faster and feast harder. They are wild on the hook, in the net, and tough to hold till release. There are so many that we are starting snag a few in the back and tail. I have to pull the lines and back-up the boat to them to prevent plowing them and hurting them. Now is the time to fish.

Good luck up there MM! If anyone can do it blind, you guys can! Say hi to Sweet Music, from the guys from Gem Club, I can't tell you how much our kids enjoyed the time on your boats in the years past! I wish I still had time to take them out! Maybe in a few years... Let me know about that open bar! GO GET 'EM! Jim