• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My New/Old Turkey Gun

Neiko

Well I decided to make my old trusty Mossberg into my new Turkgey gun and finally finished painting it. y.php?image=myturkeygun0060an.jpg]myturkeygun0060an.th.jpg

Did you cover the gun with masking tape and then paint the tape?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looks good!

Borch

I used Krylon Camo Ultra Flat spray and a primer, except the Hunter Green was Satin which makes it looks glossier which is good since it looks like new growth. I started by sanding the wood with fine grit sandpaper and then I used steel wool on the metal parts. I taped the safety and trigger. Then I applied the paint as follows.

1. Primer

2. Painted it all black and when that was dry I used electric tape where the barrel meets,ejection port, butt stock meets the metal and at the end of the slide and barrel meet.

3. I then used Khaki in bigger spots indescrimanetly and then took the electric tape off except the trigger and safety.

4. I applied little spots of brown over some areas of the Khaki and over the black.

5. Here is where the fun starts. I was originally going to spray over leaves and did a couple with green which left the leaf Khaki in color. I found it easier to cut a leaf pattern out of a postcard type paper. Notebook paper was too flimsy. So I used Olive Drab, Brown and Hunter Green to do the leaves. I created a stensil for the blades of grass from cutting some patterns on the same postcard type paper and used the Hunter Green and Brown. I did do a stensil of my initials and put it on the butt stock for a little personalization.

6. After I did all my patterns I apllied a clear matte spray to help seal it.

This is the first time I have tried something like this so I do not know how long it will hold up. I have found from other boards that guys that have done this say it is better then paying $200 to have your gun dipped because that isn't really durable. You can do whatever type patterns you want but from some of the paint jobs I have seen mine looks to be about the most realistic one out there. Don't take it the wrong way because I am not bragging. I just mean the other guys just did spot spray and didn't use the stensil idea which gives more definition.

If you are going to do it I did a practice run on cardboard in the shape of a gun to get an idea on how it would look.

Another tip I heard was to "bake" the gun in the oven afterwards to get a harder surface. I have not tried that yet because I have to find out what temp to do it at. If you do it good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Neiko- Nice looking turkey gun!!!