• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
IceHawk

Chufa for Turkeys

IceHawk

I am thinking of planting some Chufa in one of our food plots for turkeys. Anyone try this? If so what did you find good and bad about it. I'm a little afraid of trying it because I have read it grows a little better in warmer climates. If you have used it what kind of success have you had? Any info will be appreciated.

Mark Christianson

I tried it last year.

I was not impressed at all with it. I should add, that I did not do a soil test to confirm what I was dealing with, so I have to blame myself a little I think.

With that said though, I am gonna disc it up, and go with my other blends.

IceHawk

Thanks Biglake for the advice.

Borch

Icehawk,

I saw 7 nice gobblers on your place yesterday afternoon in the rain. Things are looking good for you guys. When do you hunt?

Borch

IceHawk

Borch- I have season B and My father has the C season. Another guy called and told me he saw 3 toms out there yesterday to. I'm pumped I'll give it my best shot hopefully things work out. Borch good luck to you also!!!

New Yankee

Icehawk - you may be right about the climate - in Alabama the first year we planted Chufa the birds went wild and dug most of it out of the plots. Obviously, a big difference in average temps, but the stuff really works down there.

IceBuzzard

Icehawk, can I hunt on your land as well?! Better bring your hipboots, all this rain is not helping matters much. I ordered the seed from the Co-op, and brought in the soil for the PH test. I ordered Ladino Clover, Chickory, Dwarf Essex Rape, Rye, I already have the soybeans, and some Imperial Clover left from last year. No need to worry about the Chufa.

You better get one of those toms, because when dad and I our done there will be one less for sure.

fivebucks

See the post under "Hunting". According to the article this plant is a noxious weed and illeagle in some areas.

IceHawk

Five-Bucks Thanks for the heads-up on the article on Chufa. It looks like I will be going with other things in our food plots.