• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anybody fished this lake lately?? This is the one south of lake George in the "gullys" as we called it. You had to walk in about a half mile. Good crappie, sunfish, and bass though. I had heard that it was logged off and there was a road going back now. There was also a trout lake a short portage from there called "Crappie" lake, which I always found funny that a trout lake would be named "Crappie" lake.

I was snooping around on the lake finder this winter and found the crappie lake. Would like to try it out but have not had the opportunity yet.

Crappie is just a big bowl of gin clear water. The trout just spend their lives swimming the perimeter of the lake. You can actually see them swimming by. They are a strain of rainbow called a "Donaldson" I think. They were planted strictly for harvest and don't reproduce.

Good stuff Chris, have you ever fished it in the summer? I would be interested in gining it a try. I like the idea of tackling a small excluded lake. Let me know what your outcome has been.

When I was in high school (Laporte) I fished all those lakes. Yes I have fished them in the summer, we would carry a canoe into island. From Island you go to the back bay which in the spring is LOADED with crappie. Accross the back bay and over the hill is Crappie lake. Another way to get to Crappie is to put in at Gillett and go accross, at the other end is a portage trail.

I have driven back there but I have not fished them. I may finally try it this spring.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been fishing Island Lake for 20 years, once a year or so. Yes, they logged extensively about 5 years 15 years ago and again about five years ago, but they left a buffer of about 100-200 yards around the lake. It's not a lake for big fish, but it has lot's of sunfish, crappie, and bass. The panfish are mostly about 1/3 1b. And it's a great lake for 11"-15" largemouth bass. The road in is impassible, as the DNR has restricted ALL motorized vehicles from the forest, and have dug large burnes and put up crossing blocks to keep ATV's out. If you go into the lake, please respect this ban. It's a beautiful place.

There are really no usable camping areas anywhere on the lake, as the hills around it are quite steep. For reasons I don't know, the lake level has risen steadily over the years, and is up about 6' since 1985. There re now two islands that were peninsulas then.

Good Luck if you go...let me know how you do.

It was 79-84 when I was fishing it. No islands back then. Fun little lake though.

Guys-

Island and Crappie lakes sound interesting. I always like an adventure. Can someone give me a little more detailed directions to get to Island coming from the south and also about how far I would have to carry a canoe?

-Scott

Scott...the easiest way to get there is to take Hwy 10 to Wadena, then go North on 73 to Park Rapids. When you get to the main light in town, go right past the American Inn on your left to Co. 4. Take a left on Co. 4 and go 17 miles, and on your right, way off, you'll see a sign for Halverson Lake Road (it's dirt). It's easy to miss.

Follow the road until you come to Halverson lake, about 5 miles or so. It will be on your left, and there will be a boat ramp. Now turn around and go back SLOWLY and look on your left for two small clearings, and pull into the 2nd one. It will be maybe 30 yards by 30 yards, and is often muddy. Behind it, on the right, you'll find the path. It's 1,200 yards to the lake, or about 2/3 mile. There is a logging road that's getting quite overgrown now, and after about a half mile, you'll have to look closely for the path, but when you do, you're only a couple hundred yards away. You'll go down a steep hill to the lake, and of course, you'll come back up the same hill later. I recommend a LIGHT canoe.

It's an extremely weedy lake and the whole shoreline is submerged timber on account of the constantly rising water.

I've fished it the last couple times in a float tube...pretty cool.

Be nice to the lake...it's one of my favorite places.

Glen

Glen-

Thanks for the info. Don't worry, if I do make it back there, I probably won't take any fish back out with me. I'd bring my brother along to carry the canoe. I haven't used my float tube in about 15 years, but you're right, they are fun.

-Scott

i have fished Island lake nearly every year for the past 22 years. Heck im the guy who turned "hugebass" (see past replies) onto this lake many years ago. Hi Glen! All of "hugebass" comments on this lake are accurate. Its a fun lake and a very special place to me and many people i know. nothing real big in there but its a fun place to visit. Its a gas in a float tube. If you do go in there please post how you did.

Another lake i ventrured into recently in the Paul Bunyan State forest was Waboose. Thats another lake definatly worth checking out. Its has a decent boat launch and good fishing as well as the wilderness experience. Drive in campsite available.

Hey Glen! Only 36 more shopping days till the bass trip.

Shop early and shop often.

Hop Sing

OK, here's a stupid question. We talked about both Island and Crappie Lakes. It was mentioned that Crappie Lake contains only non-reproducing stocked trout. The DNR webpage confirms that these are rainbow trout.

The question is, can you actually fish for these trout? According to the DNR regulations, there is no open season for trout other than lake trout on any lake in Hubbard County. Does that mean you can't catch the trout the DNR stocks?

-Scott