• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Travelling a Long Way

Casaloma

I have spent several hours reading this forum lately & am very impressed by the way posts are insightful & detailed. So please help me. I am coming from Honolulu & will be fishing with my buddy Blackjackdavey out of Finlayson MN. We could use any recommendations as far as where to put in & techniques that have been working on the 'eyes. Also is there a Lake map that is better than others in you folks opinion? Will be fishing Mille Lacs on the 6th & 7th of June. Will try to bring some warmer weather... Moving to Duluth after 4 years of Island life.. Too hot here.
-Thanks to anyone who continues this thread I will read all replies with greedy anticipation.

As far as maps go. Fishing Hot Spots makes great maps. They will have them at them majority of the gas stations and bait shops around Mille Lacs. I have one and love it.

As far as techniques and locations, there are many. Just browse through the Mille Lacs section and you will find many that will work. When the the bite is on, it really won't make that much of a difference. I expect things to pick up in the next week or so as the water temperature warms a little.

I prefer the Whiffer map. Most local shops will have it and it is very detailed with many GPS points.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-25-2004).]

Casaloma,

Welcome back to Minnesota!
The first week of June should be good fishing. I can't wait for you to bring some of the warmer temps with you. The water temerature on Mille Lacs really needs a shot in the arm to get things going.
While the Hot Spots maps are good, my personal opinion is that the Tutt's Walleye Whiffer or the Lakemaster maps are a much better investment. They seem to me to be much more accurate and provide a much more detailed look at the bottom.
Look for the deep gravel in the southern half of the lake to be a good place to start. While fishing has been slow the first couple of weeks, walleyes are being caught in pretty good numbers slip bobbering on rocky points at dusk/dark. Those fish will continue their trek to some of the deeper rocks and gravel over the next couple of weeks. Remember that you'll still need to be off the lake by 10:00 p.m. as the night ban will still be in effect during your trip.
Long leaders and leeches will probably be your best bet, but don't rule out spinners and crawlers starting in June.

Good Luck and have a safe trip!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Thanks for the input on the Whiffer maps. I have a Hot Spots and like it but it sounds like the Whiffer is a better map. I have never seen one and will have to pick one up when I am up there the first weekend of June.

Good Map Info; Mahalo. Any suggestions on a landing close to Finlayson?

I think you may be able to get the Lakemaps Promap paper map for Mille Lacs in the area. May have better contour detail than the Whiffer, which is also an excellent map.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Most accurate map on the market is indeed the ProMap Series Mille Lacs Lake Map.

You can see it at:
http://Minnesota-lake-maps.com and click on the BigLakeMap link, then the Mille Lacs link.

If you are going with the Walleye Wiffer map, I believe there are two editions. Make sure you get the second edition. I have the first but the second edition shows more spots.

The Spook

The closest launch to Finlayson is at Malmo.
You may want to decide where you want to fish before launching--it might save you some travel time or from getting pounded by waves smile.gif

Hey Clam sauce sorry took me so long to write back. I have the Hot spots map and a graph i think that it should help us greatly. We will be fishing the south west corner of the pond putting in at the Ceder creek public boat launch seeeing that i have only a 14 ft boat we will have to stick close to shore and pray for light winds only. Iam thinking that we will try Hawkbill reef and probably areas around Pine island and Doe island ,has any one had much luck there lately? And how is that public landing? If not there then we can go to isle and put in..I would like to try some bottom bouncers with leeches and or spinners with crawlers. Then slipbobber fish till ten on the reef a reefs.

You will also be close to Isle after you drive in from Finlayson. As previously suggested, you might want to figure out where you are going to fish before planning your put-in, in case the weather gets nasty. I was out yesterday when the weather blew in - had put in at Cove Bay and motored to north of Isle, and it took me the better part of 3 hours to make it back into the teeth of the wind and waves.

Sorry Blackjackdavey, I didn't see your post until after I replied. Not much that I have heard of around Hawkbill, some spotty reports from the first point east of Izaty's.

Casaloma- I can't give you to many tips on Mille (i'm lookin for as many as i can get too), but I hope you really think it's to warm in Honolulu. I go to UMD in Duluth and live there Sept.-May and you may find your self dreaming of Hawii. Or even the Twin Cities in April when its 38 in Duluth and 92 in the cities (true story).

It's a great city though, and a beautiful area, enjoy it!

Yo, MM ManaicMuskie, (Like Mahi-Mahi) believe me when I say THEREISNOTHINGLIKEFRESHWATERFISHING!!
Tasty ocean fish, yes,? Tuna (ahi) shashimi' is the best... Still from a Bro. you have it correct, enjoy a Ulua ( blue jack ) hunt & there are plenty o'io ( Bonefish ) here. Dragging baits on the Big Blue is more a waiting game, 4 the on-board pooch to bark, than an experiance. Great to pull in billfish ( I've got small kine' & Mahi, plenty o sharks .

There is so much skill & placement that goes with Fresh O2. fishing (sweat), salty dogs will both agree & disagree with the generalization. There is is no feel on Big Blue trolling. The big ones may react to the bait fish messing around your boat or your boat may react around the topside activity. 'Lets troll the 1,000 phathom ledge' etc.
I'd rather fish the seasons...Thats why I ask for more help Bro's...

The area you guys are hitting should be prime time. Troll the 10 foot areas around Doe Island/Hawkbill with bottom bouncers and crawler spinner combo's...Troll 1.5-2.5 mph. This method is deadly for me during the early morning hours for walleyes with an added big football bronzeback mixed in.

Thanks for the info Walleye about the boat speed how about slipbobbers on those closer to shore reefs come evening? Hope for some nice 75 degree days to warm things up a bit. Hey Loma what are trying to do confuse us minnesotians with that Aloha state talk remember your coming home, time to speak english Ah. I'll bet a 700 pound blue marlin would change your mind about trolling the big blue. Sounds like mon is in all dayer on the pond since we can only fish till ten p.m. will get out early and pound some waterwhat time will you be up on sun iam done with work at 4:00 p.m. still time to hit Big Pine lake or another closer lake that night. Hope you remember what a real misquito looks and sounds like. CAN"T WAIT TILL 10:28!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"time to speak english Ah."
Tell me "Chacigo" (sp?), dont bust me. The Phrase your going for is spelled " whopper "
-Eh?
CLoma

Brah, Welcome back to da' mainland. Lived for a spell in Makakilo. One fun time. For fishin da mahble eyes, try one spinna rig wit some thing like a Lindy Snosnag sinker. Leeches or minnows are the ticket. Fishing at night is sittin with a lighted bobber with a leech right off the bottom. That is about the same everywhere on The Pond. Good Fishing.