• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Landing ethics 101

wall-i-slayer

I was out saturday night out in cove bay. 3 of us caught 24,23,22, and a 17 from 8pm to 11pm. nothing great but could have been worse. As we went in to the boat landing there was 2 boats sitting out a 100 yards from the dock, so I decided to drop my driver off at the edge of the dock while someone had just got done loading their boat on to the trailer. When a man in a monark boat yeld out," hey warrior, what do you think your doing". I said, "I'm dropping my driver off to get the trailer". I drop him off then I got out of the way. I didn't think much of it at the time, until I got the boat on the trailer and the guy in the monark boat yeld at me again from shore and said," you're lucky I don't have a shot gun or a pistol, because I WOULD HAVE SHOT YOU!" I thought what the f**K. Apperently they thought everyone behind them was suppose to wait until it was their turn for them to go upto the dock drop their guy, wait for him to get in his truck, wait for him to drive it around, wait for them to spend 15 minutes loading it with out driving the boat on the trailer. Bulls**t. Honestly, I thought that boat had already dropped their man off and were waiting for the trailer to go in. I just assumed everyone that has 2 or 3 guys in a boat would just try get in or out as fast as possible. Unless your by you're self or with the misses you should be able to park your boat on the outside dock, But not because theres four of you who are sh*tfaced. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR AS*HOLES LIKE THIS ON ANY LAKE, AND IF IT'S YOUR BUDDY YOU SHOULD STRAIGHTEN HIM OUT......
OR maybe I have been loading my boat wrong this whole time..

there are a lot of stupid and/or selfish people out there. Today I waited at an access for about 15 min. while a guy attempted to back in his trailer. Im guessing it was his first time. Then i waited another 5 while they tried to get the boat in the water. I offered my help but he wouldnt take it. When you get to the access be ready to go and maybe try practicing with the trailer in the driveway so you dont hold other people up. Also remember treat other people as you would like to be treated.
happy fishing
-beretta

open myself and my friend were waiting in line to get off at the time just us and a boat with a guy and his 2 kid, when these to old guy blow right by us and tie up to the dock when there was a guy trying to load his boat buy him self what a *SS they got in his way then took there sweet old time. i spent a hour waiting for people that must never lauch thei boats what a pain in the buttt make the hole day suck

I wish i had a dollar for every idiot out on the opener who has no idea how to fish or launch a boat, not to mention they don't have any idea about fishing ethics or boat launch ethics. these are the people who fish a couple times a year. we will now be rid of them till memorial day!

There will always be someone at the landings who are a little slower. Not every one is a pro might as well get used to it. Or at least one should be by now. If one is in a hurry to get off the lake, leave earlier then. The only thing worse than some one who's slow at the landing, is some impatiant - - - hole. I was waiting to land my boat one time, there was a elderly couple putting their boat on the trailer. It was windy and the set-up they had would not allow him to drive onto his trailer. Along came a couple guys probably early to mid 20's. Almost rite away they started yelling at the old couple, calling them name etc. This really got under my skin. So I laid into them, the arguement went from the water to the shore. There wasn't any physical violance but it came close. I can't wait for the day they get old and some young punks harass them. What comes around gos around.

There will always be someone at the landings who are a little slower. Not every one is a pro might as well get used to it. Or at least one should be by now. If one is in a hurry to get off the lake, leave earlier then. The only thing worse than some one who's slow at the landing, is some impatiant - - - hole. I was waiting to land my boat one time, there was a elderly couple putting their boat on the trailer. It was windy and the set-up they had would not allow him to drive onto his trailer. Along came a couple guys probably early to mid 20's. Almost rite away they started yelling at the old couple, calling them name etc. This really got under my skin. So I laid into them, the arguement went from the water to the shore. There wasn't any physical violance but it came close. I can't wait for the day they get old and some young punks harass them. What comes around gos around.

These threads are always my favorite, I also could not agree with Willow cat more. I really enjoy how everyone seems to think they have an PHD in launching. Everyone has a bad night so before we start inflating our egos and start talking about how we are superior at launching our boats, cool down. The lake will always be there and so will the fish (unless I am on the lake, hehe). Good Luck....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

My question is what exactly is the Mille Lacs acceptable procedure for public dock use? I have enjoyed the sport for many years, and have fished many lakes, never had a problem until last year on Mille Lacs. My wife and I had fished out of the Garrison public dock north of town and upon return to the dock, two or three boats were hanging out from the dock. At that time, no one was moving forward so I assumed all had dropped a driver to go retrieve their vehicle and trailer. I slowly motored to the dock to drop off my wife. One of the guys waiting in a boat went ballistic, cursing and giving me h... for my action. I tried to calm the situation but he was having none of it.

I did nothing I have not done in many other situations and many other places. Was I breaking some kind of local rule? Seems like the smart thing to do is get your partner on land and let them line up. What about new boats coming in from the road? Are you supposed to sit there till hell freezes over?

I always seem to find humor in these stories as well, and my son and I have had the launch/landing thing down pretty well over the years, but this year we have a new boat!!! I'm really happy there was nobody at the landing when we tried to land the new boat!!! I, for the life of me, couldn't get the boat on the trailer so it was centered and not rubbing on the carpeted side-guides!!! My old boat trialer had rollers and it would guide the boat on right everytime I drove it on. Now I have a trailer with bunks and I tried 5 times to drive it on and get it centered correctly. Is there anyone out there that can get me squared away? Do I need the trailer in or out of the water more???? Help, I don't want to become one of the stories on FM with everyone cursing me out at the landing!!!

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-17-2004).]

Hey Olson,
The best way to load a bunk trailer just from experience is to have the bunks in the water about 1/2 way or more, it makes for easy loading. Not a pro or nothing just an opionion based on experience.

After reading how a couple of folks got cussed out for dropping their non-boater off to get started on backing the trailer down, I hope someone can illuminate for me what kind of "rule" they might be breaking. I'm afraid I would do the same thing, or (heaven forbid) if I was by myself, tie my boat off, go get my truck and wait my turn to back down. It just doesn't make sense to keep the guy who is going to back the truck down in the boat until it's "your turn", THEN put him on the bank. Is there something I'm missing here?

Its a public lake with a public access, you should have told that guy to kiss your @ss. Next time pull up to him and proceed to work things out, then as your leaving, trim up your motor and slam the throttle down and give them 50 gallons of 48 degree water to cool them off.

In all my fishing days, that was the first time I had ever been threatened to be shot at. I really am a patient man who doesn't mind waiting if an other boat isn't good at loading or unloading their boat. If it does bother me I try offer them a hand. that is really the only thing you can really do to help the situation. have a fun fishing season and watch out for the psychos.

Sincerely,
Shane Pederson

I would do the same and drop the partner off to get the truck and trailer while I wait out in the boat. But, how does the cranky boaters know you're going to load the boat up, at all. You could just be dropping someone off to use the facilities or something...

I will always drop off my buddy to get in line. Too bad for them if they can't be as efficient. Part of what helps the flow of boats on and off the water is being efficient.
I have an interesting story as well. I was heading out of Fishers for the afternoon just leaving the harbor. This ---hole comes full throttle from the lake through the light sticks that guide you out of and into the harbor. His wake, along with the 3 foot swells nearly beached me on the rocks. He had what looked like his son in the boat, not more than 5 or 6 years old, and an older person, maybe his dad. I gave him an earful and he just looked back and waved. What a jerk. Wondering if he treats his family with this carelessness, because he showed no respect on the water. I felt sorry for the child and the dad in the boat.

I can see this guy being the one that is yelling just because you dropped your passenger off at the dock to load the boat.

I laugh every year, it's the same old stories about the morons at the launch, etc etc. This is why I bailed outta there years ago and go to a nice small lake, Walleyes aren't as great but what the heck. no problems at the launch, everyone waits their turn, etc, the only thing we did have was some moron decided to cruise over a reef 6 boats were working at 3/4 speed ( aw to have a wrist rocket and lead sinker!) which was pretty **** rude if you ask me. NO it is NOT wrong to drop off someone and back out till they get the vehicle down to the ramp. Me and my brothers and buddies have been doing that as long as I can remember, keeps the line moving ya know, its the same as have your boat ready to go when you hit the ramp ie, tie downs off, plug in, good to go, etc. Sounds like you just pulled the wrong number in line next to a jerk who is probably a loser everyday of his life but decided he needed to be a big man at the launch. Hang in there,like the previous message they'll be gone for awhile now but be back out around the holidays.

Ya, I had a little episode last year where a guide tried to back his boat down while I was still on the dock starting my motor. Patience is a virtue that some people do not have.

I think this weekend was the easy part. With the night ban on now, the 10:00 access line will be challenging.

I think if I try to move in to the dock, I will tell my passenger loud enough for all to hear that I want him to go get the vehicle and I will get back in my spot in line after taking him to the dock. That way people know what I am doing.

We all have to be patient and offer to help those less experienced or by themselves. And when the access is busy, don't leave your boat at the dock, beach it on shore.

Oh ya, if someone is a real jerk and makes threats using weapons, back off, take their license plate number or boat license number, and get out of there. Report them to the police and remember a description of what they are wearing. Report it immediately.

If they are intoxicated and driving, you have done the world a favor and then you don't have to worry about meeting them at the dock for a while. You can be witness to the boating while intoxicated and the cops got him on the DUI.

Every year samething. Guys and gals. This is the time of the year where we all need to relax about the landing situation. However, come June people really need to know what the heck they are doing.
People are just a little stupid and need US to show them the way. Good luck this year. New baby at the house so I am on Dry dock Till June.
God Speed!

Hey, there is always a simple fix to these bung holes............

MOON THEM!!!! Then say: "Hey buddy, look.....you are looking in a mirror!"

I still laugh hard when I see someone moon someone else!!!!!!

How would one proseed to load their boat if they were alone? If everyone is dropping off a partner to go get the truck, and they keep lining up at the landing, do you just tie up to the dock and block the access while you go get your truck? I've never had to load mine alone so I'm just wondering what a lone person would do. I guess I could see how they would get frustrated.

Willowcat,

A lone fisherman has no choice but to beach his boat, conditions permitting, or tie off at the dock. He should always tie off opposite side to the ramp. I see too many boaters tying off on the ramp side and that interfers with others launching their rigs.

Thanks to all who have commented, I was concerned there was some local rule I violated.

Smalljaw

In my opionion there are two lines when leaving the water. There's the trailer to the landing line and there's the lone fisherman secure boat to dock line. Once the boat is secure he then proceeds to trailer line. If you have a partner that can be dropped off then you automatically bypass the boat tied to dock line.

Boat landing stories are like car wrecks. You just can't help but pay attention to them. To me, regardless if it is at Mille Lacs or elsewhere, when you have two or more able bodied people in the boat, you do the following: You approach the dock, drop off someone with keys to the tow vehicle, back off, and wait for that person to take his turn backing the rig down the ramp. When your trailer is in the water, you go from the holding pattern just off shore or out in the harbor and do your approach. I can't imagine doing it any other way. I've never heard anyone getting upset at that. It is an easy general rule to follow. There is no need to figure out whose turn it is. All you have to do is look to see who is backing down the ramp. If I understand the original post correctly... someone took issue with that. I wouldn't even know how to react. That is the way it is done on every ramp I have used from Lake Sharpe, to Minnetonka, to Mille Lacs, to Rainy.

I agree with Schnauzer on this subject.
It doesn't matter who's in line in the water, it's who's in line with the tow vehicle at the ramp!
Sometimes the person left to get the vehicle has to take a dump so bad that his eyes turn brown and it takes him awhile to get the trailer in the water, meanwhile the person afterwards who went to there vehicle is already to pick up there boat waiting in the water and plucks the boat out and is gone.
Why would anybody get mad just because there out of the water before you?
Some people are just ornery cusses and can't wait to cause grief! Take a chill pill!

Finlander - that means that the person going to take a dump before gettting the trailer needs to yell to everyone at the launch "I'm just going to take a dump and get the trailer!" You gotta keep these people informed, even if it's too much info.

Flood it.

I just hope "Big G" and "Flood the Pond" aren't together in a boat anywhere near mine while I'm waiting to get off the water. I'd be real scared if they were mooning me and yelling "I'm just gonna take a dump".

[This message has been edited by wall eyell be (edited 05-20-2004).]

NOw I want to yell I gotta take a dump at the landing just to see my buddies cringe!!

[This message has been edited by Slugo (edited 05-21-2004).]

If every one has a partner to drop off to go get their trucks in line at the launch, how does one go about landing their boat if they are alone? Do you tie up to the dock and block the access while you go get your truck? Some times the type of shore line doesn't allow you to pull up on it. I've never had to land my boat in this type of situation, but I can see how it could be frustrating.