• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AL Central Standings

friendlyfisher

Just wondering how you guys think the AL Central will pan out this year? Im sure most of the minnesota crowd will say the twins will finish first, it looks good for us but Im kind of bias. Im still interested in the 2nd-5th place finishers. Here is what I think will happen.

1st Minnesota

2nd Clevland

3rd Chicago

4th Detroit

5th Kansas City

Ditto on the predictions. I think Detroit will let their fans down this year after having what they thought was a successful season last year. (that would be 20 games out of first place for those counting)

Chicago could be better than Cleveland, their pretty close as is KC and Detroit.

well put buzz, i think cleavland will be a bit of a suprise this year, although chicago could still be the best competition for the twins.

Looks pretty close to what I would say. I think the Twins win it grin.gif or lose it by 4 or less games to Cleveland (their going to be really good this year). White sux and Tigers will battle it out for third, and KC..... Man they are in a tough spot.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that I think the Central will be quite a bit improved this year. Could be pretty tight between 4 teams for a while. Hopefully the teams will be able to shut up all the people that always label our division the "worst in baseball".

I like what Cleveland has done to improve as well, but behind Sabathia (who has been somewhat hurt this spring), I don't care for their starting pitching. Westbrook has to prove that last year wasn't a fluke, and Cliff Lee has to show up. I like Detroit's starting pitching a lot better...if their young starters (Maroth, Robertson, and especially Bonderman) can improve and develop the way they should, Detroit will be better than Cleveland. Minnesota's starting pitching...if Mays can stay healthy...is among the best in baseball one through five. I'll take:

1. Minnesota - best pitching top to bottom in division, maybe AL

2. Chicago - need to prove they can play defense...pitching still suspect behind Beuhrle and Garcia.

3. Detroit - maybe should be second, ahead of Chicago

4. Cleveland - better, but their starting pitching is not as good as Min, Chi, or Det

5. KC - this team is going to be awful.

We'll just need to revisit this come October...

I know what you're saying about Cleveland's pitching but in my opinion there is no way they will finish fourth. I think they were first in runs scored last year. Maybe not first but they were right up there. Heck alot of people are picking them to finish ahead of the Twins.

chicago lost there best pitcher for a month in buerhle, so they drop to forth in the division. twins will only have to fight cleveland for the title, and maybe detoit if there pitching ever does whats expected.

Twinks only problem, I believe, will be scoring a lot of runs. But, with the staff they have on the mound, it may not be a big deal. I see a lot of 3-1, 4-3 type games-especially the way we catch the ball. Twins take division, and Indians are 5 back by the all-star break. No-one else gets a sniff in this division.. 8-Ball.

Knoppers,

It was just a scare with Beurhle. He is fine and set to go on opening day. It was a stress reaction, whatever that is, instead of a stress fracture. So as for the accurate prediction to the Central standings.....

1) My beloved Pale Hose

2) Those pesky "twinkies"

3) Detroit (Maggs will lead the way)

4) Cleveland (may move ahead of Detroit)

5) KC (does anybody really care about KC?)

I predict the Sox will win the division by at least 11 games

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YES!

Later boys!

whats up with frank thomas, is he hurt, and is he expected to play this year.

Knoppers,

He is coming off a fairly severe injury to his foot. He actually had a hole in one of the bones and had a graft. He is expected to play this year and I think he will have a big year because he is in an option year. He has said that he wants to end his career in the Windy City and I tend to believe him. That's the scoop here in that toddlin town.

Later, Curt

Windycity, i was doing so well till you said that anoying "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES". lol. To me its the most anoying call in sports. But you probly say the same thing about "touch em all Tori Hunter." Not that I expect to hear Herb say that about Tori much this year.

Oh ya, there is one more problem I have. Sox by 11 games? Where have you been the past couple years? I know both teams will have there problems but 11 games, I would be ok with 5.

Good luck with your team and it should be another interesting central devision this year. ff

I think people are over-rating Cleveland a great deal this year, just in hopes that someone, anyone, will challenge the Twins. Cleveland still has the same problems they had last year: a horrible bullpen and an entire sqaud that's injury-prone. I think they might have some decent runs, but fall flat down the stretch.

I actually think Chicago has improved more, but then again, I don't remember Ordonez ever playing up to expectations, and he really has a hard time staying healthy too.

This is the problem with teams that don't have the farm system the Twins have. They have to snatch up middle-range players and hope they finally meet expectations.

Then again, if we don't find our way out of the first round this year, we probably will not be able to consider the year a success either.

My Picks:

Twins

Chicago

Detroit

Cleveland

K.C.

It reallly hurts me to do this, but here we go.

1. Twins

2. Sox

3. Cleveland

4. Toss up between Detroit and KC. Not that it matters cuz both teams will be really really bad.

5. See #4 only it will be worse.

It hurts to say that because the Twins just plain seem to do better when nobody thinks anything of them.

Quote:

1. Twins

2. Sox

3. Cleveland

4. Toss up between Detroit and KC. Not that it matters cuz both teams will be really really bad.

5. See #4 only it will be worse.

I concur.

Gonna go with:

1)Twins - best pitching (starters, bullpen) and depth (bench, farm system) of any team

2)DETROIT - good young starters, Percival will win the close ones

3)Cleveland - always score runs, pitching is always a question

4)White Sox - Pierzinski will add some fire, but they are they same old lowly sox

5)Mike Sweeney - even one of the best hitters in baseball can't save the Royals

Gotta love the Twins, but its gonna be a tight division this year. Twins are gonna have an infield that is very green, and although they have proven strong in the spring, the season is 6 months, and things can happen.

We are only a week away from the best game on the earth.

Quote:

We are only a week away from the best game on the earth.

Agreed. Can't wait!!

Friendly,

I know that I am way out on the limb with the 11 games but what is a fan anyway? As for the "Hawk-ism", it is sooo awful that it just cracks me up. I drink in a few bars on the Southside that Hawk frequents and he is a hoot. When he is holding court the whole bar is up in arms, especially when he does "the Hawk walk". Anyway, I am taking another sip of my silver and black Kool-Aid and sticking with the 11 games and as usual...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES !

Later, Curt

Windy,

Looks like another fun season in the making. How do you feel about your club going away from the homerun ball and trying to go with more defense and base speed?

I seem to remember sox fans being sick of loosing the 7-8 type games because of an error in the infield late in the game. I hope the twins can avoid that, cuddyer scares me to death. Koskie stoped everything down that line and now we have to cross our fingers. Only time will tell.

Sometime you will have to explain the "Hawk walk to us".

I see Barry Bonds is coming to the dome in the middle of June, Is he going to be in Chicago also. I would not mind seeing him even if he is juiced. ff

Friendly,

Doesn't look like Barry will be playing in June, so we'll probably miss out.

As far as predictions: Did anybody else catch SportsCenter's AL Central Prediction segment this morning? Neither Reynolds or Kruk said the Twins have the best rotation in the division - one went with Cleveland and the other Detroit, I believe. I almost fell off the treadmill when I heard that!

They agreed though that the AL Central is one of the more improved divisions in baseball ... should be a fun year.

Reynolds & Kruk just lost all respectability! We've got Cy Santana, Brad Radke.... nobody elses top two can even come closein our division.... then 3-5 looks like Silva, Lohse and Mays.... not to mention a very strong bullpen!! I guess thats why Peter Gammons gets everybodys respect nationally... because he knows baseball better than anybody! I still believe that the Cleveland Indians will be our closest competition... but no way are they close in pitching!!

Buzz, I agree. Reynolds did say he felt the Twins' had the division's best bullpen, but I don't understand how they can say anybody compares to the Twins rotation. Kruk continued to lose credibility with me when he went on to say that the Twins (who he labeled the best fielding team in the division) would be fine in the middle infield with the addition of Nick Punto at SS. Punto's not even going to be the starting shortstop!!

i didn't catch that segment, hopefully they will replay it

i rarely find myself agreeing with Kruk and Reynolds on anything, but i do enjoy watching Kruk

Peter Gammonds is by far the best on that baseball tonight crew, then comes Tim Kurchin (sp)

less than a week away!

Kruk has never had much to say in my opinion. Even at the end of last season Kruk said Shilling should win the Cy Young, not Santana. What kind of wierdo would say that. Santana's 2nd half of the season has never been done before, and Kruk says shilling should win. Ill take gammons over any of the other guys.

As far as Bonds playing in the Homer Dome, The jury is stil out. Some say he could be back in the middle of May and some say half the year. I know Barry will want to pass Babe Ruth as soon as he can so I think our chances are above 50% of him playing that week. ff

As far as pitching rotations go, I'm on record in an earlier post. Right now, it's the Twins. Cleveland still has question marks. In two years, Detroit could easily have the best starting rotation.

There are still several baseball websites that are convinced that Bartlett will falter in April and Punto will end up being the regular SS by May. Only time will tell...but Punto is probably better defensively (and Gardenhire likes him for that reason). If either Bartlett or Rivas falter, Punto will have a regular job...and will do very well. However it pans out, the Twins will be in good shape in the middle infield.

I've seen the same reports, but Bonds himself said mid-season. I guess we'll see.

As far as the Twins middle-infield, by all account, Louis Rivas is on a pretty short leash right now. I think Punto is a little dinged up and unless Rivas starts doing something at the plate, Punto will become the team's everyday two-bagger. Rightly so. Rivas isn't fantastic in the field, just servicable, and he's almost an automatic out at the plate. With him in the nine hole, our lineup looks like we're playing in the NL!

It's official, the Twin's have no chance of winning the Series this year, I heard Peter Gammons on ESPN pick the Twin's to win the world series over the Cubs, the ultimate jinx has been laid upon them. I hope he's right.