• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recommended Anchors for Mille Lacs

Sportfish1850

Hey guys:

Outfitting my new boat and will be fishing up at Mille Lacs most of the summer. I've rented from resorts up there a few times over the last 10 years but overall I am pretty new to the lake. Not sure what to buy for an anchoring system.

Dealership included a 15# river style anchor but I doubt this is of much use on Milly. Should I use it or leave it home, or combine it with something else in a dual anchor ?

Boat is (not surprising given my username) an 18' Crestliner Sportfish.

Suggestions on anchor types and weights most effective for Mille Lacs fishing (multi species) appreciated.

------------------
Releasing a large fish today is a down payment on tomorrow's shore lunch.

Hi Sport, The top two anchors for Mille Lacs are the Pro Anchor made by Guidemasters or the Waterspike. Both have been designed specifically for rocky areas such as Mille Lacs. Each have an excellant retrieval system so you don't lose it, meaning that they won't get stuck in the rocks. Many stores carry these two anchors.

Jason Erlandson

------------------
Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle
Sportland Guide Service Hwy 371 & Cty Rd 13
Nisswa MN

218-963-2401

[This message has been edited by early007 (edited 04-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-07-2004).]

Id recomend going with a heavier anchor.I have a similar boat and I use a 20# navy anchor.I tried a spike but I found it didnt hold very well in sand and mud when it was windy in a larger boat.A heavier anchor also makes it easier to fish a specific spot as you dont have to let out so much rope.The spike was easier to pull up tho

Sportfish,
I use a 28# navy with a 3 foot chain and it's a REAL back breaker!! BUT it holds my Ranger in place, which is what it's suppose to do. wink.gif

Anyone try the Richter anchor? The 18#er looks like a good fit for my boat and my back. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

A lot of different anchors will do the trick, but if you are in waves, not too many of them will hold unless you incorporate some kind of a bungee system. I went to the local hardware store and bought the longerst, heaviest rubber bungee I could find and attached it between the rope and the 4 ft chain that is attached to my waterspike. This helps keep the anchor on the bottom when the bow of the boat comes up in wavy conditions. Also, use a ton of rope. Especially with the waterspike style anchors, the more rope you let out, the better. I keep 150 feet of anchor rope in the boat. 100 ft on the anchor and an extra 50 footer (which is probably overkill). Ive used all of my 100 ft rope on several different occasions when anchored in deep water on the mud flats.

Good luck with your new rig and have fun!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Nav,
My brother in law has the Richtor anchor. Sometimes it works like a charm, and other times not so good. He has an 18ft aluminum boat like mine. It might not be enough anchor for your Ranger.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I use the 28 lb river anchor. Also, I have on it a bungie shock cord. I don't remember who makes it. I got at Fleet farm. It's a bungie with a poly braid over it so it goes tight when you lift it. I have used the water spike and it was hard to get to hook up in big waves.

I played the anchor game as well with my 18' Ranger. I started with a bigger waterspike (incl. chain lead and long rope) and experienced big frustration during a hot night bite on a rock pile (some whitecaps). The next day, I went to Fleet Farm and purchased a 28# Navy anchor and when I get into choppy water, I use this anchor with a 100% success rate. In light wind conditions, I use the water spike and give my back a break! My $0.02 - If you have to purchase one anchor for Mille Lacs - go with the heavy Navy anchor and don't listen to the salesman's claims about how well the spikes work.

DGS

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful info.

Like I said, I have a #15 River anchor that I got with the boat. Think I'll buy a #28 to go with it and use the #15 when its calmer to save wear and tear on the back. Perhaps I can use the lighter one off the back to stop side to side swings when the heavy one is deployed. Does that sound like a reasonable idea or is #15 basically useless for anything on Mille Lacs ?

The tip about the heavy bungee chord is a good one thanks for that idea.

Good plan. Keep the 15#'er for mild conditions on ML and use the 28# for everything else. I've never anchored the stern while fishing ML. Usually, the wind tends to blow pretty directly so I don't move too much and since I am bobber fishing when I do anchor the small boat movement doesn't really affect the bobber fishing.

If you find a beefy bungee for your anchor, how about posting a reply with where you got it and how much you paid. This is good information to know. Thanks,

DGS

Sportfish -

I also run the 28# Navy anchor with out a problem for holding my Pro-V 1775. If you are going to try that anchor, don't forget the 3-5ft of chain. Originally I didn't use the chain and occasionally broke loose. Haven't had that problem since adding the chain.

The Spook

I've been using the 28lb navy for 3 years, never had problem. I have a hurniated disk in my lower back, but I do exercises to keep the back and stomach strong, so handling my anchor is actually not a problem for me. Although I prefer assigning anchor duty to the friend that I invite for the day grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

this is all great info. for me. Me and my dad just bought a new ranger 618VS and we were wondering about anchors. One quick question, what does the 3 to 5 feet of chain on the anchor do? Also anyone that has a glass boat, where do you tie the anchor off to? I'm a little concerned with rubbing...

The chain will also help keep your anchor in place as it tends to lay on the bottom and pulls your anchor into the bottom not up and out of the bottom.The chain makes a big difference when using a water spike.As far as hooking off to your boat I use a snap clip and when I get the anchor rope where I want it I make a loop in the rope and clip it on the eye that you winch your boat up with.

Good topic. After losing two anchors in the past two weeks I can make the following suggestions: 1. Check your anchor line knots regularly. A knot that held for a year and then came loose lost me anchor #1. 2. Don't use the spring clips that come on some anchor ropes. Last weekend on Big Stone I tossed anchor #2 over the side secured (I thought) with the clip that came with the rope and the anchor came unhooked. I got the clip back, undamaged, but no anchor. 3. Run the rope through your bow eye. This lower attachment point helps you hold your ground in wind & waves. So now I get to got to Fleet Farm and get me one of those 28 lb navy anchors. It's only money, right?

Searched around and finally got a good beefy bungee chord in the farming section at fleet farm. Its about 30 inches long, heavy duty and poly braided so it does have a maximum stretch for when its time to haul the anchor back on board. Its was about $12.

Okay, so now I have a #28 river anchor and an anchor chain that came with very heavy gauge large S hooks (which could be hammered closed around the connection point of the anchor) and this bungee shock chord which came with 2 heavy duty dog leash clips attached, and of course my 75 feet of anchor rope.

I don't trust the dog leash clips on the bungee shock chord or the spring clip that came on the anchor rope to keep the connections intact once in the water. I know if I trust them, I'm going to end up buying a new anchor rig at some point.
I'm not even sure if I trust the sewing job on the braided webing that forms a loop in the bungee.

So would someone suggest how to properly rig these 4 components together in the most fail safe way possible (knowing there is no 100% fail safe way)? Maybe the chain isn't even necessary with a river anchor (I read elsewhere it is to help give the anchor a correct angle to dig into the lake bed but what do I know ?)

I have an idea of my own which involves making the anchor rope run the entire length of the connections right to the anchor as a back up. But since this is my first season with a larger boat and fishing on bigger water I wanted to see if it jives with what others think or if others with more experience had a superior method.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys on this and other topics. MF forums rock !!

[This message has been edited by Sportfish1850 (edited 04-30-2004).]

I use a 15lbs Digger on my boats 17'an 20' hold great in rocks mud an sand as long as you let out enough rope I belive it a 5to 1 scope. They come up clean hold well set fast. I also braid in a eye on the rope then attach the anchor with a clevis thats safty wired tight. Dont want to loose a 50.00 anchor.