• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum vs. Vexlar

farmislandeye

Question

Does anyone know which one is better? Vexlar or Marcum????

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CNY Tim

• katoguy

• Pete Riola

• irvingdog

Thanks for the laugh Federline and Gspman. That is just what this topic needed (LOL).

Chow for now,

GF

If you are going to use it in the summer the Vex has a much better selection of open water transducers. Something to consider. I have used both and both are good. I am looking at one also and will probably go with the Vex cuz it makes it easier to throw on the boat for the summer. You will not be disapointed with either.

I own both. Vexilar's FL-18 was at the top of flasher industry and probably still is too many. Now, the FL-18 has serious competition. That's good for us!

I don't like the short cord on the LX-3 but from what I was told during a Marcum visit, they're looking hard at having about an 8-foot ducer cord to be standard and I think that'll happen in the near future. Also, I think the movable zoom feature and the quietness of the LX-3 is a plus. I would like to see a dual beam ducer from Marcum. Marcum's power is measured peak-to-peak and Vexilar's is RMS (average). Even though it does not fit in a 5-gallon bucket, one other feature I like is ease-of-use concerning the LX-3 case. Flip the front open and the ducer and controls are right there. With my older FL-18, I have to unzip the top, pull out the ducer and then unzip the front to get at the controls. Test drive both and buy what feels comfortable to you. Both companies have good customer service, from my experience.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Gosh, Gspman don't bring out the stick yet.

I'll add a couple good quotes.

"The reason vex sells so many flashers is because of 2 things, they have been around for along time and they are advertised much much more than marcums. Notice how you never hear someone with both a 18 and a lx-3 that prefers the 18? Gotta love the Marcum!!!!! "

"Farmislandguy .I was in your position once not so long ago and read EVERYTHING and I mean EVERY POST on the Marcum versus Vex pros and cons .I ordered what to me is a superior product and more bang for your buck with a little longer transducer cord I might add . Thanks to many here and other sites for being instrumental in helping me with my decision . It became easier to see the light the more I read .Now I own a Marcum LX-3 and will be getting another plus an LX-1 . Well built product that is up to date,, and NOT gouging you with options,, that should come standard as part of its features .Thanks CNY TIM for helping me get my LX-3 north of the border ."

And again "do a search on LX3 vs FL18"

OK my turn. Theres times its the subtle differences that make the difference from a good day on the ice to a great day. MarCum LX3 will do that.

For what its worth, I sold my vexiliar Fl-8 and bought the Marcum. I was not happy with the Marcum at all and sold it and got another vexilar.

cny tim, i just read your post about marcum. can you explain more about precision gain control? i fish alot of shallow water and the marcum was terrible in the weeds. i also use my flasher on my boat and need a unit that will perform well in weeds. the marcum does have a good zoom but the vexilar display is much easier to see and since the vex has 2 inch separation i found the zoom on the marcum useless.

I'm in the market for a flasher and I know it will be a Marcum because we have 1 other one in the group. When can a person expect the new model year units to arrive just incase there are any changes?

Mike

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

T-Dog Jenkins. If your not happy with your MarCum in the weeds you'll really be in for a big let down with the Vex.

I've fished in water as shallow as 5' with weeds and had no problems at all. If your buying into Vex's LP mode performance in shallow or weedy water I'll guaranty the MarCum will blow the doors of the Vex without the fix/add-on of a suppression cable or the LP mode.

T dog - Vex still has signal clutter issues and it's shallow water performance is terrible compared to LX-3. You can minimize the gain on the LX-3 where you can see your jig and eliminate thin weeds, now you think about having that advantage to allow you to see deep in the weeds to see those big gills laying in there. Vex has what an LP mode you want to talk about a gimmick please... It's technology is still FL-8...

Hole hopping without control adjustments when in zoom mode move over FL-18 the LX-3 hands you your hat in this feature as well.

The LX-3 was thoroughly designed from top to bottom and gives me a serious tool that performs time and time again. Right now there are some good sales so check them out but I will say that $399 for this unit is the best money I ever spent on any of my ice fishing gear.

T-Dog, how long did you own your marcum before you returned it? I`m sure one of the guys on the forum would have met with you if you had probelms. You are the only person that I have heard that has returned the unit and got a vex. I owned a vex and switched to marcum. I second guessed myself for a while until I seen the Fl-18 in use. I am so glad I bought the marcum. One thing that I have seen not metioned is the IR button on the marcum. This is a great feature, I can "tune" out other flashers in my area. Marcum or Vex. One thing to remember is you need to buy what is good for YOU. Everybody has differnt styles of fishing. Most guys here have owned vex (because that`s all we had) but now own Marcum that should tell you something there. We want the best and in our opinion Marcum is the best!!!

I'll fan the flames a bit I'm sure. I use my flasher in the summer. With my Minnekota universal sonar trolling motor, a Marcum adaptor wasn't even an option. That pretty much sealed the deal. The FL-18 not only has the zoom feature (granted it's only on the bottom) where I use it the most anyway, but it also has the low power setting. The Marcum unit still reminds me of the old Zercom flashers which I didn't care for. I'm haven't regretted going with the FL-18 and I'm currently adding a FL-10 indash unit. Vexilar has simply helped me locate more fish and I would recommend them to anyone who is "on the fence".

For what it's worth, I own a Marcum LX-3 and I do think it's a little superior to the Vex. However they both are very nice and I'd be happy to fish with either one. I just grow weary of seeing this post once every month on every outdoors website I frequent during the ice fishing season. It's just like the Ford vs. Chevy argument or the pointer vs. flusher question on the hunting boards. The bottom line is it's personal preference. Do the research and pick the one that meets your needs the best. As was stated earlier, a simple message board search on the ice fishing forum will yield more info than a person could ever want on the subject. I could have asked the same question 2 years ago when I got my Marcum but didn't cuz the info was already out there.

Quote:

Even though it does not fit in a 5-gallon bucket.

I will let all you Marcum and Genz Blue Box users in on a tip. Don't use a 5 gallon pail, get a used kitty litter box and use that as your bucket. They fit perfectly, and it holds stuff the same as the old pail!

Matt I tried that and my Marcum didnt fit. What type kitty litter?

Man I don't know, I hate cats!

Kidding aside, I think it was Tidy Cats. I got mine from the woman's friend, I tore the label off and stickered 'er up instantly.

I have read alot of discussions on them. Now I have one question. Does the Marcum get interference from the vexilar or visa versa? I ask because I want to upgrade and my fishing buddy has a fl8 and we fish close together most the time. I get some interference from him sometimes now with my fl8.

Why is it so important to put an LX-3 inside any pail? The custom case it has is incredible, and there's no more worries about snow getting inside it, etc..

As an FL-8 owner of 15 years, you couldn't tear the LX-3 out of my hands.

Ok I must have been in a hurry cuzz thats what I tried. Ill try the Tidy Kat again. Thanks. Ya Im a Dog guy too. cool.gif

I agree the LX-3 is awesome, fishing in 160 ft of water and picking up your jig clear as day with the zoom in strong current, i also love the seperation between marks.. borrowed a buddies this winter but will be sure to have one of my own before the water freezes again next year.

Couple comments -

ChuckN, you had an 15 year old FL8 that you're comparing a Marcum to? Hmmm. Kinda apples to oranges. Also, transducers get weaker over time as they get beat up.

Some others stated they had FL18s may have had older FL8s, also. Someone made a comment about the number of used Vexilars on Ebay? Compare the numbers out there...

I bought an FL18 this last winter after comparing first hand (don't put too much stake in message boards when it comes to my hard-earned cash - I need to see first hand). I had a 15 year old Vex and loved it! It did not have the flickering screen like many of my buddy's newer units so I stayed with it. Last year I noticed a drop in performance (when getting outfished). I ended up swapping transducers and it was like night and day. However, I noticed the latest model 18 was a lot better than the late 90's FL8 or even the first few years FL18. I compared the two first-hand on-the-lake went went with the 18. Very happy customer.

Pete R, please inform us (in print, if possible) of this so-called recall you say occurred. (Trying to squash to rumor mill. LOL).

Back to my first statement, we all have our own opinion, and that is all you will get here. Opinions are like xxxx, we all have one.

kato,

I've gone through 5 transducers on my FL-8, I've borrowed friend's FL-8 SLTs, I purchased a couple for friends, used them and I've seen the FL-18 in action.

You are right, you really cannot compare the two (or three). From how Marcum LX-3's crisp and clear screen, the zoom feature, the awesome case, incredibly easy charging system and the intense target seperation....

That is my honest opinion and experience in the field. I have grown to love it.

I'm another HUGE LX3 fan!!!! I have both a vex and a Marcum LX3, and I prefer the LX3. I don't have any problem seeing the color seperation even standing on the ice with the sun straight over head. I love the charging system also, in fact I'm thinking of ordering a Marcum charging system to put on the wifes vex!! Before I was jealous of the wifes vex against my zercom, but now I have the LX3!! She can keep her vex!!

Don't see where Pete had a response so I'll help him out here. Pete is referencing the FL-18's recall for the "zoom jump" that was an issue for the early FL-18's. You would notice over certain bottom types your zoom scaling or the bottom 3' in zoom went red... Vexilar performed a software upgrade to correct the problem as MarCum is correcting the bad batch of ducers that had the wrong epoxy mix. MarCum has the new pour transducers in so there should be plenty to replace the few that have gone bad out there.

The FL-18 just has to much unwanted signal clutter for my liking. It has less zoom options than the LX-3 and a point missed here the LX-3 is a much more user friendly unit, less time adjusting and more time fishing. The FL-18 has to be reprogrammed every hole you set the unit to stay in zoom, not the MarCum, to coin a phrase ... "Once you set it, forget it... I saw a couple of folks on EBay sell FL-18's because they couldn't figure them out. That's not Vexilars fault they do a good job on there web site, videos and manuals explaining the unit. The LX-3 can be taught in about 5 minutes it's that easy. The base features of the LX-3 are more than the FL-18 can handle even with Vexilar's added $ options, it still can't hold a candle to the LX-3 on the ice.

I have owned both the FL-18 and the LX-3 and fished both side by side and even the weekend angler can see the difference instantly that you just get more with the LX-3

More and more ice anglers are leaving Vexilar for the MarCum advantage.

If there was no MarCum products I would either stick with my FL-8 or maybe upgraded to an SE but the FL-18's 6' bottom zoom only is not enough for me. Here I am fishing perch in 37' of water and there running 7-9' off to strike and I have an FL-18 and I can't see those fish with that smaller 6' bottom only zoom window. Now I have to switch the zoom off and fish it like my FL-8. Did I pay an extra $100 for something I couldn't even use? You betcha. With the MarCum LX-3 I can put 5' to 10, 10 to 20' and 20' to 40' anywhere I want in the water column. That's a huge advantage to put all that target area in 1" target separation HUGE!!!

I can use that effectively on those high flying perch. Who knows maybe in Minnesota all fish seem to stay in the bottom 6' only. Not in NY. There's something to say about loyalty and Vexilar users are the loyalist folks I know but guys that have fished them for years are pulling back and giving the LX-3 serious considerations. I know I have seen it flourish and expand here out east the last 3 years.

Be careful when using the "recall" word. It was NOT a recall. (upgrade, yes) These opinion boards get a lot of misinformation thrown around. Say it enough and masses start believing it to be true.

I must respectively disagree with CNY. The latest FL18's have less clutter! If you have to "reprogram" a Vexilar everytime you drop it in a new hole you must be moving from 40 FOW over soft bottom to 8 foot rocks. LOL

I think if any weekend angler can compare the two side-by-side they will go FL18. Again, me opinion (and 40,000 others annually).

Quote:

With the MarCum LX-3 I can put 5' to 10, 10 to 20' and 20' to 40' anywhere I want in the water column. That's a huge advantage to put all that target area in 1" target separation HUGE!!!

Are you saying you can only zoom to 20' if you're on the 40' scale? I know I've read about this before and I can't recall what the zoom levels are but I thought it was better than that. I would also think that you would only get the 1" separation when you're using a shallower scale.

Which leads me to my next question, is 1" separation compared to 3" separation really that big of a deal?

I've read a ton of these threads but I still haven't found the answer to my battery question either. How long do the respective batteries last? Being that the LX-3 is so much more powerful I would also think the battery would drain much quicker.

I'm leaning LX-3 at the moment but ideally I would like to compare the two side by side. My buddy has an FL-18 so I will probably get an LX-3 next year and see how they compare. I can always return it right?

I was going to wait to ask these questions until next season because that's when I'll be making my decision, but since this thread is going strong I thought I may as well ask now.

katoguy - You have to reprogram the FL-18 each time you change holes if you want to utilize the zoom function be it 8' to 8' or 40' to 40' or 8' to 40' it does NOT lock from hole change to hole change and that's fact.

Oh so the latest FL-18's have less signal clutter geez that makes me want to run right out and buy one...:^)

The colors on the 18 are sweet I'll give you that but from what I saw and others it's a bit better than FL-8 and certainly not worth an additional $100. No offense but a 6' zoom is not enough. Vexilar gave us a taste of zoom but MarCum delivered big time with options...

You want to talk about misinformation. I remeber not too long ago when Vexilar loyalist bashed the first MarCum that hit the street. I remember the Vexilar hit men blurting out patent infringements, copied I.R., colorpoint knock off, believe me I heard them all, on this site and others as well. I challenge you to dispute my claims. I have done the research and have taken the time to pick these units apart and stand by my statements.

Neither unit is going catch you more fish but if your looking to get a quality flasher loaded with options at a better price that's American engineered and manufactured in the good old U.S.A. MarCum Technologies has set the bar... MarCum fans are as passionate as Vexilar fans that's what makes these discussions interesting. I love it...

When it comes to icefishing you just simply get more bang for you buck with the LX-3.

tashit - Here's the breakdown on the zoom and battery life...

5 to 10 ft. zoom window in the 20 & 40 ft. scale, a 10 to 20 ft. zoom in 80 ft. scale and a 20 to 40 ft. zoom in 160 ft. scale.

Is 1" separation that big a deal. Well it's hard to explain the difference with words it's best to see it on the screen but I will give it a whirl. When a fish shows up in 1" zoom as it is on MarCum LX-3 it's more like a timing thing for me I can glance from my flasher to the jig and the fish is right there. On my FL-18 I have to pull off my flasher earlier because the signal clutter corresponding with my jig and the fish pursuing left alot of dead area where the blobs would meet. With the LX-3 I can use the thin line display to my advantage in developing a timing mechanism. It's really hard to explain it unless you have seen it and used this unit. There is a sharp contrast in screen display between the two units, the precision gain adjustments on the LX-3 are phenominal.

The battery will last 18-22 hours on a fully charged 7 amp. battery. The charging system on the LX-3 is the best I have seen that came standard with a unit.

That's what I did tashit I compared the two side by side and that's the best comparison. Your going to love the interference rejection on this unit it's an awesome feature that works fantastic.

There's no question in my mind that the weekend angler would rather see more targets easier in all kinds of fishing conditions without the need for multiple options like suppression cables and different cone angles. The Marcum is engineered so you don't need supression cables and multiple ducer angles.

The Marcum right out of the box is more user friendly and easier to use for Jon Q Public. Not to mention it's a product of the USA that comes with a 2 year warranty and a digital charging system. Bang for the buck plus performance equals a good purchase. My 2 cents.

For what it's worth I have been beating the heck out of my Colorpoint for about 5 years. I believe they are the predecesor to the Marcum? It works great and I have had no reason to buy a new unit but you can guess what I will buy.

Target seperation is great. My only complaint over the years is interference from other units. I'll probably stick with it until it breaks.

CNY, Are requesting me to "Challenge you to dispute your claims?" Claims that someone else supposedly got offended on an opinion board years ago? Relax, dude, you are sounding a little defensive.

I am not bashing anyone's product, but there is from time-to-time misinformation from so-called ProStaffers and Field Staff. You are correct that often one needs to either drop the ducer in a hole a couple times or switch the control from auto zoom to normal and back to get the zoom to read. Is this what you refer to as "reprogramming"? You make it sound so confusing. I guess you need to "reprogram" the Marcum when you change depth scales?

Open discussion is always good as long as the information is correct and not misleading.

Someone stated Marcum engineered the LX so multiple ducer angles aren't needed? I love the dual beam Vex. The 19 degree cone is a good option for shallow water. I use the 9 degree cone for anything over 20 FOW. (Dual beam ducer is also good in extreme drop offs/ledges). Although, both beams are not needed, a mid-angle would suffice in most situations. BUT, each shines when used correctly in the proper situation. Also, to clarify, no suppression cables are needed on the newer FL18. There is a half power location on the knob for extreme shallow water. Just clarifying and trying not to mislead anyone. Also, Vexilar offers a 2-year warranty and is a 45-year old company that makes their product in the good ole’ USA.

I am not a fan off the push button switches used on the Marcum units. These contact switches used in other applications do wear out. We’ll have to see how they hold up over time.

I think both are set easily setup right out of the box. It’s a flasher! You don't need a college education to use one. (Some LCDs almost require a Master's Degree to use all the functions like my new color LCD with multiple ducer beams, gps, barometric pressure, etc... LOL)

I am really locking forward to the bottom lock feature of the FL18 on the boat this summer. I jig for bottom hugging walleyes and (especially when bass fishing) pay a lot of attention to structure and the bottom hardness/softness transitions. I do not need to zoom on anything other than the bottom. I do have 2 other sonar units (1 with GPS) on board, also. All are tools with pros and cons!