• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum vs. Vexlar

farmislandeye

Question

Does anyone know which one is better? Vexlar or Marcum????

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CNY Tim

• katoguy

• Pete Riola

• Northlander

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Do a seach and type in

+marcum +vexilar

You will have more than you can handle unless you have a LOT of time to read.

They are both good units and each has good reasons why they shine.

I was a diehard vex user, I now own a MarCum and would be hard pressed to trade it for this years vex.

Do the search as Rick has stated...

I will just add this.. I own both a Marcum LX-3 and a Vex FL-18... I used the Vex 3 times this year.. and that was only because I was borrowing my Marcum to someone. Don't get me wrong, the vex is an awesome unit. I just like the features of the Marcum better.

Through the info I've read and from you guys have said, I'm leaning towards the Marcum for next year.

I also have both units and prefer the MarCum LX-3 over the Vex.

Cliff

Everybody's got their own opinion. I prefer the latest Vex. There are reasons Vex sells 40,000+ units annually! Rumor also has it they are getting some OEM boat contracts.

You might also want to throw in the X-67, I have been very impressed with this unit. In any case, all are great and will get the job done for you. Good luck!

I have used several different flashers threwout the years. The FL-18 Vex with Dual ducers is a very nice unit and can reach down to the 300' depth. I liked that it could be stored in a 5 gallon pail for transporting.

The Lowrance ice machines were ok. The GPS wasnt the best and the units didnt seem as sensitive as VEx or Marcum.

Marcum LX-1 and LX-3 are very nice units. My new favorites. Best clarity and sensitivity of them all. The LX-3 zoom feature is a must for me. I would like to see them make a deep water version with a dual ducer and longer ducer cord. If you never fish in water over the 160' mark I strongly suggest a LX-1 or LX-3 by Marcum. If you fish deeper than that you have no other option but Vexilar at this point and time. Maybe Marcum has something in the works for next year.

Just because a company sells a lot of something doesn`t mean it`s better. A few years back I bought a Hummmingbird 3D,which sell a ton of fishfinders, I paid over $600. for it. It couldn`t mark a volkswagon. Sold it to a guy for a $150 and told him of my problems with it. I guess he thought he could get it working, not. He sold it with his boat and got a different one. Let Marcum be in bussiness for 40+ years and see where there at. I did own a vex dual beam but switched. shocked.gifI guess I`m saying I`m going with Marcum. grin.gif

The reason vex sells so many flashers is because of 2 things, they have been around for along time and they are advertised much much more than marcums. Notice how you never hear someone with both a 18 and a lx-3 that prefers the 18? Gotta love the Marcum!!!!!

I vote Lowrance X67C or Lowrance M68C, check these out seriously if you are looking into buying.

Quote:

I vote Lowrance X67C or Lowrance M68C, check these out seriously if you are looking into buying.

I second that...

Both are great units. The zoom on the Marcum is better than the Vex. I am not a fan of the Marcum transducer set-up. Short cord on the Marcum and the Vex iceducer is superior in my opinion. Vexilar is also compatible with the new MinnKota universal transducer trolling motors. Maybe the Marcums will be in the future. I like the soft pack on the Marcum but the abilty to throw the Vex in a 5 gallon bucket for protection is also a nice feature.

The good news is that both will come up with new units that are better than the previous model.

You won't be disappointed with either (until they upgrade their models)

Good luck

WG

Bottom line, figure out the features that work for you and make your choice wisely. Personally I'm sticking with my Marcum. More power, better target seperation, flexible zoom, and a premium ice pack.

Farmislandguy .I was in your position once not so long ago and read EVERYTHING and I mean EVERY POST on the Marcum versus Vex pros and cons .I ordered what to me is a superior product and more bang for your buck with a little longer transducer cord I might add . Thanks to many here and other sites for being instrumental in helping me with my decision . It became easier to see the light the more I read .Now I own a Marcum LX-3 and will be getting another plus an LX-1 . Well built product that is up to date,, and NOT gouging you with options,, that should come standard as part of its features .Thanks CNY TIM for helping me get my LX-3 north of the border .

TD

This is one of those questions that does not have a "right" answer. Each will allow you to mark a target. Nothing more and nothing less. The Marcum will report this data back to you with a yellow on black display while the Vex-FL-18 in nice vibrant greens and reds. Niether unit will allow you to tell the type or size of fish. I personally prefer the Vex.

Niether unit will allow you to tell the type or size of fish.

I'd have to disagree to a point there Mr.Pike. No, I can't tell if it's a 6lbs Laker or a 5lbs Pike just by the signature alone. But when I've got a 3 red bar return following my jig up 25 feet, I know it's a laker. I know it's at least 5 lbs. All those orange returns are smelt. Paying attention to what they're doing tells me if there's a laker around. The slow moving red return milling about my jig is a medium sized pout checking out an easy meal. Once you have your cone angle in your head, and you calculate your spread on the bottom, it's not too hard to make educated assumptions about size and species. Both units provide this information and are an awesome tool in the right hands.

I'd be interested in who owns both vex and Marcum and what unit do they prefer? You guys know I'm a Marcum guy but I do own both and as a fishing geek I'd never fish open water or ice without my LX3. Have you die hard Vex guys used an LX3?

Quote:

You have some info that noone else has Irving?

No, I'm just examining history.

And the customer service at Vexilar is second to none. The long cable and floating transducer certainly make for versatile placement in your shack. They are both nice units, but Vexilar is not to be underestimated.

Oh, yeah, I own and sell both. This ain't exactly my first barn dance.

[Please read forum policy]

I take issue with that Irv.

Marcum is easy to get a hold of try 763-493-3748 or email [email protected]

So the only thing I can think of is you or you're clients don't have the right phone number or email address? You're just plain wrong on the defective units. Yes there are a few problems but you can't tell me that Vex never had a problem wasn't there a recall on the FL18? So irv you're saying you like the Vex better because it marks targets better than the LX3? To me I fish outside a lot and I do not like that vex float that builds up a tremendous amount of ice. I hear you about a longer cable but Marcum does have a 5 foot extension for the sonars so that point is easily dealt with. I'm not saying the Vex is not a good product just that a guy should give a Marcum fair consideration because for many guys the LX3 is a better choice. It has more power it's easier to read, the zoom can be anywhere in the water column, it has a digital charging system, a very handy carry case, it has a two year warranty and it's American engineered, designed and built.

Please make sure if any of your customers need any help with a MarCum or would like to get a MarCum unit if you are out they can contact me at [email protected] or 763-493-3748 and either Jon, Chris or myself will get the issued handled quickly!

Will do, Pete. Knowing that you represent Marcum will certainly give me options.

[Please read Forum Policy]

I don't doubt your knowledge in the field and I too own both. That's just a pretty strong statement you made.

Thanks irv offense not taken but you know the gig we work very hard just like you do and its tough to hear that stuff when I know that the phone lines just aren't busy. Maybe your clients needed to call outside of the hours the calls are answered. If a message is left its promptly returned. Phones are manned from 9-5 m-f. If they called at 8:30 am nobody answered. Chris handles the emails from the site and I know he answers every email everyday m-f. Irv Marcum does have great service I hope though that you never need to use it but like I mentioned earlier please get me involved if you have an issue. The statement about being around for 5 years is innuendo the same could be said of vex. Marcum is here to stay and all of us anglers should be happy that we have competition in this marketplace so we get to fish with better units for less dough.

Quote:

Quote:

I second that...

I third that...sweet ice unit in graph mode!

How about the next guy that brings up Marcum vs. Vexilar, we send a delegation to his house to hold him down and make him eat a bug, or a wax worm, or a minnow or kiss an Eelpout.... laugh.giflaugh.gif

trapperdirk - Your welcome bud!

All I have two say on this is 3 things... I owned and tested both the FL-18 and the LX-3 and for what I do in 40' or less the MarCum LX-3 stands alone for the following reasons 1) Target Separation (The 3 C's, Clear, Crisp, Captivating) No more vex flicker head 2) You get more base product at a better price with the LX-3 plus a phenominal zoom package that blows Vexilar's 6' bottom only away. 3) American Engineering and American built!

Everyone I have introduced the LX-3 to never went back to the FL-18. They dumped em on EBay. Search MarCum on EBay and see how many come up for sale and then search Vexilar and you have 2 pages. Words getting out about the MarCum LX-3 and it leads by example not by advertisements. The zoom on the LX-3 well blow you away time and time again!

It's performance in weed cover fishing gills and crappies is superb. MarCum achieves this by having a precision driven gain adjustment that's not just effective it's surgical.

Technilogically speaking the MarCum LX-3 gives you more and has delivered solidly for 3 straight years and it will deliver for you as well.