• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Homerun Records??????

koWALLEYEski

Should Homerun Records set in the last 10 to 15 years receive an asterisk? With the revelations of steroid use in Major League Baseball, do you think that season and career homerun records established in the last ten to fifteen years should receive an asterisk?

No, a record is a record. If the player was dirty when he beat the record it's not the records fault. It's the fault of the player, team, and league. Please don't tarnish the record.

How many years did it take before the * was taken away from Maris's record???? I don't think he was even alive to know it was removed. Sad.

I was just seeing where everyone else was on this. I am with you broilerguy.

I'm glad you agree. The game is in pretty sorry shape right now. Hopefully it will come around.

The game is what counts, not all the crap the players, teams, fans, etc bring into it.

I don't know, that's a fine line to walk... But if the player cheated to obtain the record, then it shouldn't be a record, right? That only makes sense. But that is only if the player admits fault or is proven to be at fault. You say let's not tarnish the record, we don't have to, the players did that themselves when they decided to take "performance enhancing" drugs. But there lies the problem, who's to say the player wouldn't have broken the record if he was clean? Tough one I do agree.

Once again the game is in trouble and it sounds like baseball is going to fight the subpeonas that were issued.

Yes, it's a very fine line. Extremely fine, paper thin, can barely see it line.

I just plain love the game. All the extra crap going on really truely bugs me. It taints the game. Makes the game dirty. That really really bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Twins fan. However, I've always liked college ball and I'm becoming a bigger fan of the college game every day. Now, even the college game is getting dirty, as is little league and American Legion ball.

I don't have the solution. I'm just really bugged about how the game is being affected.

Climbing off my soapbox now.

I'm going to throw another angle on this as well. I think MLB is the one to blame here. During the so called "steroid years" in baseball MLB I do not believe had a drug policy regarding the use of steroids. Hence, even though they were using a substance that is banned in the US, it wasn't "against" the rules of MLB. I say let the records stand and give the players their due. Last I knew steroids don't help with hand-eye coordination and lets face it you still need to make contact in order to hit the home runs.

Correct but it does help muscle tissue re-build much faster allowing the user to obtain greater muscle density and mass which will allow for a stronger swing. It does not hekp hand-eye coordination but the guys are in the majors for a reason, they can already hit the ball.

They just didn't have the testing for it, managers looked the other way while guys like Caminiti destroyed themselves.

Since we're chattin bout it, am I the only one who thinks the game has SERIOUSLY changed? The whole "chicks dig the long ball" mentality has really turned the game around. Hence, turn a ball player into beef-cake.

This is probably why I'm such a Twins fan. Small ball, generate runs, the perfect bunt, hit and run, fundamentals, pitching, DEFENSE....all these things are going down the tubes fast.

Seems like some teams are just trying to out dinger the other team. I know homers sell tickets, but a solid all around game is what wins games, and championships.

Catch 22 though eh? Baseball has McGuire and Sosa to thank for getting the fans back into baseball, remember the home run race? I know you do. That is what brought the fans back to baseball, (not the true fans but the weekend warriors). How ironic that what brought baseball out of the cellars is driving it back down there as we speak... It's the teams like the Yankees and all the money as well that is ruining baseball, look at the salaries for cripes sake. How can it self sustain much longer? Ticket prices are already on the increase as it is, God bless the guy that can afford to bring his family of 4 or 5 to see a baseball game at Wrigley or Boston. That in itself is disenchanting enough then through all these roids accusations around and you got a bad recipe. How would you feel if Bonds or Sosa or whatever is you childs hero and we find out about steriod abuse, corked bats, what have you, these guys are supposed to be role models. I wouldn't want my child to see any proffesional athelete as a role model.

Charles Barkley himself said don't let your kids have atheletes be their role models.

I agree, McGuire and Sosa brought a gabillion people back into the game, which isn't really all that bad. The game needs fans, but we are paying a big price tag.

I try to catch a couple Twins games a year. Last year I took my 2 boys to 2 games. After tickets, parking, pop, weiners, peanuts (Gotta have a dog and peanuts at the game), and gas for a 4 hour road trip I've got a few hundred invested. Not this summer fellas. Not without taking out a loan. And the Twins are supposed to be the cheaper tickets out there?!?!?!??!?! The games in trouble when average Joe middle class blue collar dude can't afford to take his kids to a couple games.

everyone always wants to know what big hitters are on steroids, what if we start to find out that there were/are just as many pitchers on steroids?

Yeah it sux, Twins are the cheapest ticket out there I think, hence we have the lowest salaries and less known players/rookies in starting positions. But I will take that any day of the week over a team like the Yankees with their salary issues. Lets see.. $10 tickets to watch a playoff caliber team or $50 tickets to watch playoff caliber team? Gotta love what the twins do with what they got, Terry Ryan and Gardy are genuis'.

Amish, I wouldn't doubt one bit if guys like Clemens and Randy Johnson have used something. I mean come on, 40 years + and still throwing like they do.

One cool thing about the Twins and their low saleries, it keeps em humble. Every time I've taken the kids to a game they get autographs.

The cherry on top was when we went to the autograph party. My then 10 year old boy whips out his book of baseball cards and there are about 10 Tom Prince cards. Some Twins, some not. Tom signed em all!!! Then he shot the bull about ball and catching with the kid for about 5 minutes. Then, and here comes the real cool part, Tom gets up and plays catch with the kid for a couple minutes. Total class.

Would Bonds, Johnson, Giambi, etc do that??? I dunno, but I doubt it. They're too big, or at least too big in their own minds.

Gimme hard chargin small market over big time huge salaries anyday. They both ended up playing post season. What's that tell us????

Yes, Terry Ryan is a genious. Not only for signings and player development, but for putting up with ownership. grin.gif

I think the records have to stand. Like someone else said they weren't illegal substances according to baseball's rules at the time.

Heck Gaylord Perry won over 300 games & is in the hall throwing spitballs. It was against the rules, but they couldn't catch him consistantly enough to stop him. I don't like the message that sends & they should try to stop that kind of thing, like they need to stop steroids, but it is unfortunately a part of the game.

Here's another curve, or two...how do we know that the big hitters way back when, did'nt have their own little deals for hitting the long ball? When were corked bats first being used, or the discovery of corked bat usage?

Back during the earlier periods of baseball, how hard would it have been to have certain pitchers pitch to certain hitters? It probably was'nt as closely regulated, or watched (Instant replay) as it is now.

Not that they did mind you, but maybe each generation of ball players has some kind of edge, in one department, or another i.e. spitballs, greaseballs, sandpaper balls,corked bats, unauthorized bats, things like that, I guess I'd say let it stand, clean up the sport and it will take care of itself down the line.

Another thought, during some of the most prolific years of Babe Ruths' career, the 1920's, alcohol was illegal. (prohibition) Yet never was his records called into question. Sadly we'll have to let the records that have been and will be set during this modern era stand if we continue to hold George Herman (Babe) Ruth's exploits in such high esteem. Burleigh Grimes was allowed to pitch into the 1930's if not into the 40's with his primary pitch- the spitball- after it was banned by MLB in 1920. (he was grandfathered in because he was already a major-leaguer when then ban came into effect) MLB always has been and always will be behind the times in regards to regulating for the "good" of the game. -Pete

I say no asterisks. especially since Barry, Sammy, Mac. etcetra have not been found guilty of anything.at the time Androsteindione was not an illegal substance when Mac. was taken heat.

I take that back, Sammy did have a super-bat didn't he? but that was batting practice.

Sammy was busted with a corked bat during a game. However, I don't think he owns a record so no worry about an * with him.

So they let Bonds keep his records. Bud Selig is a wimp with no guts. He wont stand up for anything. It is all about team for baseball. Hit and run, sacrifice bunts, moving the runner over, suicide squeezes. That is baseball not the long ball. NOT BARRY BONDS NOT SAMMY NOT GIAMBI

Should the record have an *? I don't know, nor do i care, it affects my life none what so ever, If they cheated to obtain the record it shouldn't even be in the books to begin with. Put it to bed folks, if Bonds cheated take him out of the books completly, no 73 no 716 no nothing.

If anyone wants to see some real baseball go watch some farm ball or go watch some highschool kids play ball, I dont play the game so that i can break some record, im not that good. I play for love of the game, its not about me or the team or even the final score, its about having a good time and being part of an American tradition.

Major league baseball is one of the biggest disgraces to the game, most of those guys dont care anymore, there mind set is how good can I be, how far can I hit this baseball, how famous can I get.

Baseball was ment to be played by people who cared about the game and there team more than their indivdual merits. The suicide squeeze is by far the most exciting play in the game, the best part is no one gets credit for that play, it just happens, everyone has to be on the same page and when it works out it is a thing of beauty. I just don't get how all these major leaguers can disrespect the great game by cheating to get the upperhand, you don't need to be huge to lay down a sac bunt or to hit the ball to right feild to advance the runner, the real game isnt the long ball, its small ball, doing what needs to be done to win the game, while disregarding your statistics.

Play Ball

Geez, homerun records aren't the only ones affected by steroid use. You'd have to asterisk all of the stats. When long balls are flying, batting averages, steals, pitching stats...everything in the game changes, and not just for the player doing the drugs. I don't think discounting all of those statistics would be feasible or fair to the innocent players.

• 3 weeks later...

No asterick, but there will always be a "steroid era" as long as there is baseball. No different than the "dead ball" era, whenever that was. Personally, I hope Barry retires without the HR record.

Couldn't agree more about the game prices and how much it cost's just take a family of four to the game. It's getting like NASCAR baseball is. I can't afford either so I don't bother... As a Cardinal fan I am embarrassed by McGuire's actions. He had the opportunity to step up and tell his story and he chose to step out. I think he wanted to say something because he was all choked up but the lawyer behind him was pulling the strings. His testimony was appalling to St. Louis fans.

Riverrat,

Spoken like a true New Ulm-ian. In my mind, your town is this state's baseball capitol, and rightly so.

Your points are well said ... I agree completely. There's nothing wrong with the game, but there's plenty wrong with MLB.