• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Mississippi River Rodeo

Kevin Turner

Hey guys...

What do think about a 4 or 5 day river get together? Any and all would be welcome. We could pair up with different partners for the day, have eats and drinks in the PM.

I know some from other fishing forums would like to make the trip. Any thoughts??

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HawgTide

• Kevin Turner

• Mark Christianson

• Keith_MN

Uh,,,, Let me get this straight, you want to fish and Eat and Drink for 4 or 5 days straight days on some of the best waters in America? shocked.gif As they say in that Guiness Commercial, BRILLIANT!

You know I'm in.

What other kind of cat guys are there?

Sounds good Kevin. Just promise me nobody will try to put out the bonfire with the fry-pot oil this time.

Hi Dennis...

I'm thinking Aug???

Home base could be River Terrace RV Park in Monti. I have spoken with Gary, the owner, about group camping rates.

There is quite a lot of interest from anglers from out of state, so it could be a great way to meet new faces.

Kevin, isn't this what you do all summer anyway? smirk.gif

This sounds good. Nice and convenient for me. I can stay at home at night, which is good, since my wife will be 8 months preggo at that time! grin.gif

Congrats HT!! good thing you got the jet boat B4 the baby. grin.gif

If anyone would like to help with planning I'm all ears.

Hey guys - sorry I've been so quiet - my wife and I are in the process of buying a home and it's sucking all my free time! Good thing it's now and not during open water!!

I too would be interested in this, I'm not sure I could commit to a full 4-5 days but probably a day or two. As much as we want to save our little stretch for ourselves, it would be cool to meet guys from across the country and let them get a taste of how good we really have it here in MN grin.gif. A word of caution though to all campers - I've heard BLB has already "marked his spot"! tongue.gif

Thanks guys!

KT, I'll be happy to help since I live right there. Obviously the earlier in August, the better for me. She's due to have labor on labor day, so towards the end of the month, I'll be on a short leash.

HT, My son was born a 3:45 AM Sunday, July 26, 1988. At 6 AM, that same Sunday, I was on the river fishing. At 2:PM she was released waiting for me to pick her up. Needless to say (BTW, this was B4 cell phones), she and her mother were very upset with me. Moral of my story, Ya gotta take care of family!!

So you left the hospital to go fishing, assuming that she would be there for a day or so, only to find out she had been waiting for you since 2pm? blush.gif I'll bet she didn't want to hear how the smallies were biting... smirk.gif

You got it. I figured I'd catch some ZZZ's in the room. When I arrived, my mother-n-law was there to pick them up. Anyway, kids are nearly grown, we are Dvorced, and I fish when and where I want wink.gif

...Getting back "on" topic wink.gif. When are you thinking about doing this? What would be the fishing times? Is this mainly for Smallmouths? Should we look for some prizes?

Let us know,

Corey Bechtold

Topic?? Oh yea,

Corey,

First half of Aug.

Fish any where, any kind.

I've been to several rodeos, fish the day, eat, drink, play music at night. Knida informal get together.

Sounds like fun! Keep me posted, I'd like to hit the river for some Smallies! Can I take my 24' cabin cruiser out there?

Corey Bechtold

Sure thing Corey...Bring the 24 footer. There are plenty of site with full hook ups. Maybe we can get you one with a view of the river grin.gif

kevin, I would like to know if you can get a 16ft. boat that is not a river-pro around monti.. I have been up there in jacks boat and it seems a little shallow for a normal boat.

KT, my cabin cruiser is a boat, do you think my 5 blade ss prop will be able to get up on plane? grin.gif

Corey Bechtold

Corey, I think that's what Kevin means. That's about as close to the water as you'll want to get that beast. wink.gif

Jipper, It is extremely rocky from the 169 Bridge in Champlin all the way to St Cloud. There are small stretches where you can get a 16ft Aluminum around( I had one 2 years ago and beat it up pretty good). For Example near Ellison Park in Monti, Near Elk River and Near Dayton, but it's usually only safe for about several hundred yards either way before it will get into the riffle areas. You can drift that area if you don't mind the occasional white water rafting experience. But then you have to have someone pick you up down stream.

I have gotton my boat up past the island north of the champlin bridge. ( after a few chunks and dings on the prop)I know that area pretty well... But I would love to go out around monti in a boat..I have did alot of shorefishing in that area and have did very well, But the area you always want to get to you cant. tongue.gif

Congrats on the little one on the way HT, KT if its not the first week in august I will drop in often, sounds like a blast to get together for an extended FM meeting, I would also like some out of staters to come I think its a benefit to the area to have a great fishery like this and would like to see more people benefit from it... I know alot of you disagree but alot of other areas really benefit financially from there great fisheries, and I would like to see our local businesses and guides (who knows maybe someday one of us will be the guide) benefit from this outstanding waterway...... well that is as long as they dont mind fishng in that dirty stinking polluted river with that darn haz. waste from the Nuc plant floating by... ohh yeah dont forget all the great carp fishing we get into to grin.gif

Thanks RR.

The Anoka tourney is July 9. I don't know about the rivers edge. I think someone said it usually fell on the first Sunday in August. Not sure if that is right, but last year it was.

KT,

This sounds like a great idea. I mostly fish the river from Clearwater towards St. Cloud. I would love to try the Monticello section of the river, or I can bring one or two people onto the portion of the river I'm familiar with.

My boat is small but it will hold me and two other average size guys unless the river is extremely low. Then its just me and one other person.

Set the dates and I will try to commit one or two days to bring a couple people fishing with me.

PS Who's in charge of the weather? grin.gif