• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'03-'04 Season Winter Outlook

BradB

After the relatively slow bite last winter, and the emergence of perch this summer, how might you forcast the winter outlook?

I only fish Mille Lacs in the winter, so I cannot comment on the size of the perch or the abundance of slot fish.

Any predictions?

I believe it will be a more normal year on Mille Lacs this year due to how healthy the walleyes are looking and the forage base should be leveling out.As far as slot fish I still think they are few and far in between.I also think there should be a pretty good perch bite but you will probably have to do a little sorting.I hope I am right ( except for the slot fish )Good luck

There was a very pentiful population of 9-12" perch this fall. I know some guys who did very well and didn't have to sort through that many fish. Maybe they just got lucky, but I think the ice season will be a good one.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

It will be nice if the walleyes are a little more aggressive, and the perch keep things interesting. I did quite well last year, but I attribute that to moving often and staying away from the pack. I had far less luck on jigging presentations and caught most of the fish on rattle reels, which was disappointing as I like to jig.

If those clouds of little perch have grown, or been eaten, that should make things much more normal.

Now we need to do something about catching the theives. I got my carry permit this past year so fish house robbers beware. Between that and a cell phone I'll keep you from going anywhere until the police arrive.

The perch bite will be better no doubt. There were a lot of YOY perch in the lake this fall, but I think the walleye bite will still be pretty good, especially for trophy fish. The large females were huge this fall and were in good shape going into this winter.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com